Foxpro requires older 416 units be shipped in for new sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiRTY DOG

Foxpro told me I cannot purchase new sounds online for my model 416 Foxpro ecaller. Two different techs said I had to actually ship my caller in to the facility for new sounds. New format sounds, old MP3 sounds, doesn't matter.

I'm really not happy about this. It adds a considerable shipping cost to sound upgrades not to mention the 2-3 weeks of shipping both ways.

One of the main reasons I purchased a Foxpro brand caller in the first place was because of their extensive sound library available for purchase online, which I could download myself with the FOXPRO PG-1A adapter that I paid extra money for. I purchased sounds several times in the past and downloaded them via email, but now Foxpro won't do that anymore.

When they changed sound formats a while ago they required that I send my 416 into the shop for new FXP sound upgrades but still allowed me to download their older MP3 sounds online. Now they won't even do the MP3 sounds without sending in your whole unit.

I'm not happy at all with Foxpro's "product support", seeing how they've discontinued one of the main services they used to offer.

What, I should buy a new modern unit? Why, mine is only a few years old and it works just a well as the day I bought it. In case you haven't looked at price tags, they're not cheap. And who knows if 3-4 years down the road they change their sound format again and leave you guys in the dust with product support??
scared.gif

I just sent mine in and had all of the sounds changed. New menu tags on the call and remote. Got it back in a week. Just like getting a new call. $40.00

Great. $40 isn't cheap. Especially for those of us that like to switch sounds on the unit depending on what season it is. Like adding coyote vocals during late winter, then removing them and replacing them with different sounds.

IF I send in my unit to have additional sounds added, I won't be able to change them at will, which was one of the selling points of Foxpro's callers. Instead I'll have to send it back in for another $40 "service".

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGGreat. $40 isn't cheap. Especially for those of us that like to switch sounds on the unit depending on what season it is. Like adding coyote vocals during late winter, then removing them and replacing them with different sounds.

IF I send in my unit to have additional sounds added, I won't be able to change them at will, which was one of the selling points of Foxpro's callers. Instead I'll have to send it back in for another $40 "service".

Now you know how a WT owner feels after buying a call today. At least it is better now
smile.gif

Hammer

At least WT owners know that when they buy it.

On the other hand, Foxpro suddenly changed the rules on us. After years of advertising they had the best callers and the best sound library that can be downloaded yourself, they pull the plug.

Originally Posted By: catwhackerDon't forget the $10.00 to get it there. $50.00 for 16 sounds.

$40 is the final price for a reprogram, which is including 16 sounds. That is including shipping. There are 2 scenarios that someone would need to send a caller in for a reprogram

1. They have one of our older callers that lacks a USB port. FOXPRO's entire sound library is in .fxp or .24b format, which is not a compatible file type with audio software, outside of FOXPRO callers. The PG1-A adapter still works for recording audio, but since the .fxp and .24b files will not play on the computer, they cannot be added to an older caller via PG1-A.

2. They don't have a computer, and need their caller reprogrammed. Pretty straightforward.

If there are any other questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FPMikeK $40 is the final price for a reprogram, which is including 16 sounds. That is including shipping.
that only includes shipping BACK to the customer. We still have to ship it TO Foxpro, for approx $10 with insurance nd all that.

Originally Posted By: FPMikeK
There are 2 scenarios that someone would need to send a caller in for a reprogram

1. They have one of our older callers that lacks a USB port. FOXPRO's entire sound library is in .fxp or .24b format, which is not a compatible file type with audio software, outside of FOXPRO callers. The PG1-A adapter still works for recording audio, but since the .fxp and .24b files will not play on the computer, they cannot be added to an older caller via PG1-A.
Foxpro's sounds are all .fxp format NOW, but they weren't originally. When I purchased my 416, 100% of Foxpro's sounds were available in MP3. ALL of their sounds were available for purchase and download via the PG1-A adapter THAT I PAID EXTRA MONEY FOR. Later Foxpro added new .fxp format sounds to their library but 416 users were still able to purchase and download the older regular MP3 sounds.

I understand that NEW technology may not be compatible with my "old" 416 caller. Fine. But I really think Foxpro let down their customers by converting ALL of their sounds to .fxp format and refusing to allow customers to purchase and download in MP3 format that their Foxpro callers were designed for. Foxpro told me I could purchase and download their sounds at will, now they have gone back on their agreement and I'll have to ship my caller in to their facility for additional sounds. That's not what the deal was when I purchased my caller just a few years ago. The change adds considerable cost to a sound change, upwards of $50!

I hear you loud and clear DiRTYDOG.I too have a 416 and the PG-1A adaptor. I did have 16 sounds that I purchased off of Fox Pro's website but the computer they were on crapped out. I know, I know I should have put them on a CD. I guess I am not enough of a techno-geek.
It seems that Fox Pro is only concerned with new sales. Not having downloadable sounds available for their older callers is a good way to sell new ones. My 416 works fine and cost plenty when I bought it. I have no need for 100 or 200 or however many sounds the new ones hold. It would be nice to have the ability to download sounds like we were told.

Originally Posted By: catwhackerI just sent mine in and had all of the sounds changed. New menu tags on the call and remote. Got it back in a week. Just like getting a new call. $40.00

I knew the cost before I sent the call in. I wanted the new sounds and the tags or I wouldn't have sent the call in.

is it something you have to do every time now, or is it a one-time trip where the unit gets upgraded & after that you can go back to downloads?

From what I understand you can send your caller in and have new sounds put on it by Fox Pro. You have to do this every time because they no longer offer downloadable sounds for their older callers on the website.

Ya, I know, i actually lost mine a cople weeks ago, fell out my pack or something. I bought a spitfire. Not as loud but you can reprogram it, blessing in disguise really. 416 was cool, give it to someone as xmas present and then ask mommy for a spitfire.
smile.gif

I think its called keeping up with Technology. How Many of us started on PC's with Dos? Then Windows 3.1 then Win 95-98-XP-Vista? Think of how many programs,software items that get left behind. Old Printers, Scanners..etc. I can understand wanting to protect a Sound library. Sounds are not easy for the Manufacturer to come by. They are expensive. JMO

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357I think its called keeping up with Technology. How Many of us started on PC's with Dos? Then Windows 3.1 then Win 95-98-XP-Vista? Think of how many programs,software items that get left behind. Old Printers, Scanners..etc. I can understand wanting to protect a Sound library. Sounds are not easy for the Manufacturer to come by. They are expensive. JMO

Yes, they are expensive which is why you have to buy them.... most of the "old" programs get "left behind" not because they don't work, its because the manufacturer didn't want to update to the new windows API's. However, FoxPro could have chosen a path in which all of their NEW sounds were only available in the NEW Format. They could have left all of the OLDER sounds still available as MP3's... Thus satisfying both customers and pushing you to still purchase a new caller if you want one of the NEW hot sounds which are available only in the NEW format...

I think its like Apple Iphone if you have the orig. iphone it wont work with the new software
it sucks and the mfg should never leave the customer with product with no other alternative. i own a WT and have no problem sending it in for sounds as i knew that when i purchased it. The problem is when you buy a product that has a feature and that feature goes away because of the company making changes that should not be allowed those features are listed on the box and may or may not have been purchased without them? I know tech changes but the product could have been left and run along side the new

I don't blame you for being unhappy. I would be an unhappy camper too. From their viewpoint though, I can see why they stopped offering sounds in mp3 format. They are too easy to distribute and use on other calls. Offering all of their sounds in .fxp format makes it a lot easier for them to protect their sounds from being illegally distributed, modified and used on other brands of callers.

It's not keeping up with technology, it's alienating old customers by forcing them to pay to convert to a new proprietary format.

The "old" MP3 sounds still work just fine on Foxpro callers like my 416 that were designed by Foxpro to play MP3s. If I pay to ship it in for a sound change, they're NOT going to upgrade my ectronics for the new sound format, they're just going to download MP3s. I used to be able to do that myself with the PGA-1 programmer that Foxpro sold me, that was a big selling point and something they advertised. Foxpro chose to stop their "service" and converted all their MP3s into their proprietary format.

Wait until they change their .fxp format to something different and leave YOU in the dust. See how you like that after paying several hundred dollars for their product and they decide to go back on their product descriptions and customer support.

Since we were not "fortunate" enough to lose our callers. We should just give them away so we can buy new ones(just what Foxpro's plans were). Heck, that makes perfect economic sense.

Originally Posted By: sluggerOriginally Posted By: Orneryolfart357I think its called keeping up with Technology. How Many of us started on PC's with Dos? Then Windows 3.1 then Win 95-98-XP-Vista? Think of how many programs,software items that get left behind. Old Printers, Scanners..etc. I can understand wanting to protect a Sound library. Sounds are not easy for the Manufacturer to come by. They are expensive. JMO

Yes, they are expensive which is why you have to buy them.... most of the "old" programs get "left behind" not because they don't work, its because the manufacturer didn't want to update to the new windows API's. However, FoxPro could have chosen a path in which all of their NEW sounds were only available in the NEW Format. They could have left all of the OLDER sounds still available as MP3's... Thus satisfying both customers and pushing you to still purchase a new caller if you want one of the NEW hot sounds which are available only in the NEW format...

X2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back