which manufacturer is currently chambering .257 Roberts??

Savagenut

My nephew is the proud owner of a .257 Bob, and loves it, but is looking down the road to the time when he needs to replace it. (I believe it's a Ruger).

Is anyone currently chambering a .257? I've looked a few places, and haven't found one, yet.

What would be the simplest re-barrel project? I'm thinking from a 6mm to .257, in order to have a magazine with virtually the same dimensions.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Well the 7X57 Mauser is the parent case for the .257 Roberts and the 6mm Remington so any of those could be easily re-barreled to another one without having to change bolt or anything.

None of the 3 are real popular but they are all 3 GREAT calibers. I have a Remington 700 in 6mm and a Winchester Model 70 in .257 Roberts. Been wanting a 7X57 for a long time.

Not sure if anyone is currently chambering factory rifles in .257 Roberts.

Ruger is chambering their Hawkeye in .257 now. Kimber has the .257 available also. ER Shaw can put together one of their MK VII rifles in just about any remotely popular caliber for a pretty fair price. I have one on a Mauser 98 action and a Remington 700 Classic. Love that cartridge.

Out of curiosity, why would he HAVE to replace it with a different rifle of the same caliber?

If the barrel is trashed the easiest rebarrel would be just rebarrel his rifle.

If it becomes an issue, pick up a 25-06. Same basic, just a little extra oomph and carried by many manufacturers.

I agree, I have a Ruger 77R in 257 and love it, wouldnt trade it for the world. I had a friend who had a Ruger 77 in 243 and when the barrel got wore out he just had his smith screw on a new barrel and picked right up where he left off.Originally Posted By: NdIndyOut of curiosity, why would he HAVE to replace it with a different rifle of the same caliber?

If the barrel is trashed the easiest rebarrel would be just rebarrel his rifle.

If it becomes an issue, pick up a 25-06. Same basic, just a little extra oomph and carried by many manufacturers.

My nephew is the proud owner of a .257 Bob, and loves it, but is looking down the road to the time when he needs to replace it. (I believe it's a Ruger).

Is anyone currently chambering a .257? I've looked a few places, and haven't found one, yet.

What would be the simplest re-barrel project? I'm thinking from a 6mm to .257, in order to have a magazine with virtually the same dimensions.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Savage custom bench makes new 257 bob classic 114 1100.00 mine shoots about a crappie 4lnch group but only co I have found that will make 257

I have a M77 in .257 Roberts. My daughter has been using it for years and never lost a deer with it. 90 grain Sierra GKs are lethal and leave good blood trails. Usually don’t need the trail though because they do t go far.

Winchester Model 70, Ruger Model 77 and No. 1, and Kimber Hunter are the only current production rifles I'm aware of that are available in the venerable .257 Bob.

While it's fine varmint to medium game cartridge, other rounds such as the .243 and various other 6mms as well as the .25/06 and .270 can duplicate or exceed its performance, have more affordable easier to find ammo and are probably better choices for one in the market for a new rifle. At least that's my opinion, and I wager it's worth every cent you paid for it!

Last edited:
Back