Coyote double with a shotgun and some live pictures.

derbyacresbob

This morning I headed out to a ranch to do some coyote calling at about 10:30am. On the second stand I was real close to the top of the small mountain range.

I walked about a 1/2 mile from my truck to setup in some big oak trees at the top of a huge open canyon.

When I got to the spot the breeze was going up the hill just like I wanted it to.
I set my Foxpro CS-24 out about 15 yards away from me with the caller pointed into the big open canyon below me. I pointed my SP-55 speaker to the left of that pointing towards the top of the small mountain range. I sat down in the shade, right in front of some oak tree limbs that had grown all the way down to the ground.

I started out with Snowshoe High Pitch on volume 30. After a few minutes I lowered the volume to 25 for about 5 more minutes. Then I cranked it up to full volume 40 for about one minute and the lowered it back down to 30.

About two minutes after cranking it up to full volume I spotted a coyote, to my left about 500 yards away heading up the ridge towards me.
IMG_2109.jpg

This coyote stopped a few times but was still heading up the ridge towards me when I saw some movement through the big oak tree that was in front of me. It was a coyote hard charging down the steep ridge to quite bit higher up the ridge than the first coyote.
IMG_2121.jpg

I took a bunch of pictures of the coyote through the oak tree but those pictures didn't turn out any good.

The coyote stopped and looked right at me. So I lowered my right hand from the camera to grab my shotgun, while still holding the camera in front of my face with my left hand.

I expected the coyote to turn and run when he saw my movement for the shotgun. To my surprise the coyote started heading straight up hill again for me and the CS-24.

So I raised my right hand back up to the camera and took some more pictures.
IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

When I was taking the above picture I realized it was time to drop the camera and pick up the old Remington 11-87.

The coyote was about 25 yards away when I shot it.

Then I saw a coyote flying down the steep ridge to the left of the coyote I just shot. I lead this coyote about the full length of the coyote and shot.

I missed so I doubled the lead to at least two full coyote lengths nose to tail and shot again. The Remington Wingmaster HD T Predator load dropped the coyote. It was at least 50 yards away.

I was so excited I never even looked for the original coyote that was heading up the hill. I just wanted to make sure both the coyotes I had just shot stayed down.
IMG_2140.jpg

I blanked on the next stand and then went dove hunting. It was a great day.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats im hoping to get out in the morning for a couple stand before the wind sets in. Supposed to be gusting to 45mph tomorrow. Always seems to work out that way. Nice all week while at work and then soon as the weekend gets here the wind kicks up. Oh well I always end up going anyways. A bad day hunting always beats a good day at work. Keep up the good work and good hunting.

just wunder'n, what kinda choke are you use'n ?? and at what yardage was the farthest shot taken ?

I'm lookin for a choke for my 870 but dont have the cash to try a half dozen choke tube/ammo combos, any info appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fox Firejust wunder'n, what kinda choke are you use'n ?? and at what yardage was the farthest shot taken ?

I'm lookin for a choke for my 870 but dont have the cash to try a half dozen choke tube/ammo combos, any info appreciated.

Right now I am using a Carlson's Sporting Clays Extended choke in a Improved/Modified. Improved Modified is right between Modified and Full.

I have a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke but it shoots too tight for what I want.

The Carlson's Extended Sporting Clays chokes are not too expensive and they are rated for steel and tungsten.

I don't shoot at coyotes at over 40 yards away very often.

Man, that took some serious lead! Great job as usual on all counts, Bob. You really are whackin' and stackin'!

Back