4000 yd sniper rifle

Tactical .20

I saw on FOX news they are sending a new sniper rifle to Afganistan. It is supposed to shoot to 4,000yds! Didn't hear much about it, just a few details. Not sure what caliber it is.
Talk about reaching out to touch someone!

Cheytac maybe? I don't know the exact range the .40 cal bullet has, but they say it out performs the .50 BMG

At 4000 yards anything less than a 105mm is a hail mary shot. Even a 105 will have a hard time making a first shot kill at 4000 yards with HE warhead.

Jack

It is 4000 feet and will be in 300win mag. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM2010
2sbv29t.jpg

Last edited:
.416 Barrett can reach out there pretty good, but I don't know about 4,000 yds. It is still supersonic out to 2,500 yds though.

Anzio Ironworks came out with this 20mm rifle. It is a beast. Have seen it in the back of a co-workers truck in Florida (not the one pictured). It is ridiculous, especially the price tag, let alone bullets. He has no where available to shoot it, and wants to sell it now. He shot 2 rounds out of it at the 50 cal range and they kicked him out. Anzio advertises 3,000 yds for that one.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/20MM-TAKE-DOWN-RIFLE.htm

Other than those 2 I haven't seen a longer range rifle come out, but would be very interested to hear and see more details. Will try to do some research on it.

Yhea, I didn't get the 300 Win Mag thing. There are a lot of better caliber choices out there. Maybe it's easier to master than the larger calibers? It's still suppose to be the cats butt though. Anything that helps is a good thing. I do love hearing all the guys that come into my office and tell an A-10 story. Maybe this well help cut down on calls for air support.

300 WM with the right bullets is a solid 1500 yard caliber and it is a lot easier to shoot well for most people. If a guy cant shoot a 408 Cheytac worth a $hit it aint gonna do him any good.

That is one ugly a$$ rifle to, goodness...

4000 yards?? I think not.. more like 1500yards

Quote:In 2009 the US government purchased MK 248 MOD 1 .300 Winchester Magnum match-grade ammunition for use in .300 Winchester Magnum sniper rifles like the U.S. Navy Mk.13 SWS or reconfigured M24 SWS's. This ammunition was developed as a .300 Winchester Magnum Match Product Improvement (PIP) and uses the 14.26 g (220 gr) Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail (HPBT) very-low-drag bullet fired at a nominal muzzle velocity of 869 m/s (2,850 ft/s) ± 15.2 m/s (50 ft/s). According to the U.S. Navy this ammunition should increase the maximum effective range of .300 Winchester Magnum sniper rifle systems to 1,370 m (1,500 yd), decrease wind defection on bullets in flight and use a reduced muzzle flash propellant that remains temperature stable across an operational temperature range of -32 °C tot 74 °C (-25 °F to 165 °F).[10][11][12] According to JBM Ballistics,[13] using the G7 ballistic coefficient provided by Bryan Litz, the Mk 248 MOD 1 .300 Winchester Magnum cartridge, when fired at its nominal muzzle velocity of 869 m/s (2,850 ft/s), should have approximately 1,286 m (1,406 yd) supersonic range under International Standard Atmosphere conditions at sea level (air density ρ = 1.225 kg/m3).

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeIt is 4000 feet

Yep, they said the new one was good for "4000 feet", and the previous one was good for "3000 feet".

Why not just give them some 17HMR's their good out to that range aren't they
lol.gif
. 4000 yds is a bit of a stretch, thats 2.27 miles, like said before gotta love Fox.

Last edited:
Regardless of the wisdom in making this choice, I suspect that alot of Match loads will be introduced in the next year or 2 as a result of this. Just like Hornady introed the new 178bullet & Match load for the 308, no doubt a heavier bullet option will emerge from them & others. This will be a good thing for the 300WM regardless.

Not sure about a 4000yard sniper rifle, but for any of you that venture over to Snipers Hide.
There is a thread regarding a new PRIVATELY FUNDED rifle/bullet that... Quote:...will shoot a 1,690 grain projectile(GS Custom Bullets) at 3,350 fps and the projectile will remain supersonic out to 5,000 + meters. Accuracy is .5 MOA to 3,000 yards.
That's roughly a 15" group at 3000yards. It is NOT a sniper rifle, and is NOT meant for shooting soft targets. Its an Anti-Material rifle, for shooting trucks, missiles, tanks and other large such targets.

They go on to say that the barrel life is into the thousands and each cartridge is in the $13-$15 range.
Rifle is called the 14.5mm OPS and the 1690 grain bullet possesses a B.C. of 2.118 and is solid copper.

Its entire weapon system is broken down into two pieces to be carried by a two man team and it comes in between 40-60lbs. They are working to reduce the weight even more.
The recoil is reduced with a recoil reduction stock and they are having a suppressor built.

Pictures are still pending on the rifle itself, but here is the projectile.
5851690SP011b.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the record for a sniper kill in today's conflict 1.58 miles? That's about 7000 ft. CheyTac M200 .408 if I remember correctly.

Just wondering...

Originally Posted By: HereticCorrect me if I'm wrong but isn't the record for a sniper kill in today's conflict 1.58 miles? That's about 7000 ft. CheyTac M200 .408 if I remember correctly.

Just wondering...

There have been some reports of a longer kill, but the record is held by Rob Furlong a Canadian sniper who used U.S. manufactured ammo in a McMillan Tac50. He credits the hotter U.S. ammo to the length of the kill.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: TnslimCbass, it's nice and all that but how is it on fur? haha, Well, it's a solid bullet so first thoughts would be that it might be awful fur friendly...but I'm guessing that they hydrostatic shock on coyote size critters would cause it to simply pop like a pdog. I'd still love to see it happen, but good luck finding optics that allow you to find a coyote at 5000m. A USO SN-9 10x42x80 might get you close.

Originally Posted By: HereticCorrect me if I'm wrong but isn't the record for a sniper kill in today's conflict 1.58 miles? That's about 7000 ft. CheyTac M200 .408 if I remember correctly.

Just wondering... close...It was two kills with an Accuracy International 338 LM at 8,120 feet and that equates to about 1.54 miles, but I don't want to split hairs lol.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyThere have been some reports of a longer kill, but the record is held by Rob Furlong a Canadian sniper who used U.S. manufactured ammo in a McMillan Tac50. He credits the hotter U.S. ammo to the length of the kill.
Chupa
That was broken last year.

I know he (rob furlong) let the ammo sit in the sun to speed up the burn rate of the propellant, thought that was kinda neat if it's actually true

Back