Cold Steel Counter Tac 2 Review! Pic and details inside!

Bryan8

Well I just got my new blade and I love it. It was recommended to me by Getfoxy, on the thread about knifes as can be seen here - http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1724321+

The knife is the Cold Steel Counter Tac 2. I did some looking and I found the cheapest price it was around $54 shipped. I placed my order, and then the waiting came. I was surprised to find that it only took two days to come up from Florida to New York! I ripped the packaging open and saw the box it came in. It was a cheep looking box like something you'd expect some cheep Chinese knife to come packaged in. I was a little worried, but I opened the box up and saw it. My first impression was that it was really tiny! I wasn't expecting it to be that small but it about the perfect size once I held it, and the grip feels awesome!

Here are a few pictures of how the knife looked when it arrived. Disregard the belt clip; it's switched around to how I like it.

7eb2ccf1.jpg

bc856d0f.jpg

I went to open the knife and I had to use two hands and yank it open hard. I though it would break in some but this is not the case for me. I tried stretching it and it still was way too hard to open. For a SD knife this a huge drawback. I couldn't draw the knife from the sheath with the stock belt clip position without pulling the whole sheath off my belt with the knife. This got me annoyed, and the only way to get the knife out was either to carry it handle down and yank hard or to use two hands. It took way to long, and in that time you could have already been dead... I solved this by playing with it for a few hours, and slightly loosening the two top belt clip screws. Then I put a drop of rem oil on the side of the sheath where the guard of the knife hits it. I wiped it off gently and now it clicks in tight, but it breaks out cleanly. It’s just enough so you got to tug it to get it out but not that hard, and it wont wiggle free either. It’s awesome now but before I was disappointed in the tightness.

Now to the blade, I first tested the sharpness and as I expected it shaved hair on the first pass. Then the point, this is the business end of this knife, and what it’s meant for. It’s very very very sharp. I lightly taped it on the back of my hand and I accidentally cut my hand, resulting in quite a bit of blood from a small nick. I couldn't imagine getting a full on stab blow from this. Anyways it penetrated buckskin like butter, and I stopped after that because I did not want to dull it. I would have tested it durability but I didn’t want to wreck it. One side of the knife is triangle with a blood grove running down to two razor sharp edges. The under side of the blade is almost flat but it appears to have a slight inward pitch, and this is what they are calling there "Hollow ground back"

aebc1d5b.jpg

e56ea751.jpg

The Grip on this knife is really cool. At first it feels tiny but after a few mins of getting used to it, it feels perfect. It feels secure in your hand, and I tested it underwater and it didn’t get slippery like some knifes can.

4ab1091f.jpg

The knife is not that large with the sheath, and the total length is only 6 3/4". I’m still trying to find good concealment spots on my person, and so far I like the neck chain it comes with and the downward carry on my belt; on my front right side. I don't like the upward carry with this knife with the knife being hard to remove from the sheath unless you do what I said before.

7ab1fa30.jpg

I feel that this knife was well worth the $54 bucks. It’s not a cheep knife but it’s not a benchmade either.

Here are the specs on it. It has an older brother the Tac 1 but that’s too large for my needs.

Counter Tac II
Specifications:
Blade: 3 3/8"
Overall: 6 3/4"
Weight: 2.2oz.
Thickness:4mm
Steel: AUS 8A
Sheath: Secure-Ex®

I give it a 7/10. The sheath and the plain back edge take away from the knife a little. The sheath is unacceptable if it stayed the way mine came. Once I fixed it, it worked great but before it took way to long to deploy. The back edge could have had something more special, and I heard it likes to drag it off to one side when slicing through thick material.

Overall it’s a great knife I highly recommend it. But remember fix that sheath!

d1c91908.jpg

Thanks for your time if you read it, it means allot. Sorry for the not so good pictures! Its dark out and I had to take them on my gun bench!

Take care

~Bryan

Back