Glass bedding a savage w/ Accu stock

You CAN glass bed just about anything, but epoxy won't chemically bond with plastic stocks. It's not a problem, you just need to score/rough up the stock so the epoxy gets a "mechanical" lock, but without that step you will do more harm than good.

Generally you have two ways to bed a rifle, pillar bedding and glass bedding. Pillar bedding is putting pillars for your action screws to go through so that the head of the action screw, and the action contact a metal pillar instead of the stock, so that any flex, say wood absorbing moisture does not affect the torque on your action screws.
Glass bedding is generally laying epoxy (but sometimes fiberglass) down in between the stock and the action. This gives the action a glove like fit in the stock, and makes sure there are no odd pressure points. It helps make the vibration the action feels from shot to shot be more consistent and thus more accurate.

Originally Posted By: ss444Why would you want to glass-bed a stock
that has the Accu-Stock feature in the
first place?

I bed pretty much all of my stocks, half the time it is because I am bored, and need something to do though.

Usually an after-market bedding job is either a glass bed or a pillar and glass bedding job (preferred).

The polymers used in general (epoxy is one) are referred to as "glass" because they are what's used in fiber-glassing, though bedding a rifle rarely involves using actual glass cloth.

All manufactured products are made to "tolerances", in part to make sure they will for sure fit with other parts.

The reason to bed any stock (including and accu stock) is to eliminate those "tolerances" and to assure a perfect fit between that particular action and that particular stock.

So ss444 is the accu stock feature doing what it says? Ive read on here that shooters remove the wedge because they dont like it.

Sooner,
I don't know, I don't have a Accu-stock rifle. I was thinking about getting one so I wouldn't have to glass-bed it!

You can do it once you figgure where to put the bedding, and why. On the other hand I would shoot it first. If it don't stink, don't stir it.
Frank

First, which accu-stock is it, the first ones out had some problems with Some of the wedges causing fliers when tight to the stock.
I had one of these and simply removed the wedge, the fliers went away and the rifle shot very well after that. Mine was a 10pc in .308 and would shoot clover leafs,(100yds) when i did my part after removing the wedge.

The second gen of accu-stocks is supposed to have corrected this problem. To me bedding a accu-stock seems to defeat the purpose of buying it in the first place, it would be cheaper to buy a standard wood or tupperware stock and bed it. blue

Originally Posted By: bluealteredFirst, which accu-stock is it, the first ones out had some problems with Some of the wedges causing fliers when tight to the stock.
I had one of these and simply removed the wedge, the fliers went away and the rifle shot very well after that. Mine was a 10pc in .308 and would shoot clover leafs,(100yds) when i did my part after removing the wedge.

The second gen of accu-stocks is supposed to have corrected this problem. To me bedding a accu-stock seems to defeat the purpose of buying it in the first place, it would be cheaper to buy a standard wood or tupperware stock and bed it. blue

I notice you state you "had" one. Was it not satisfactory? I am curious because I have been
looking at the PC, specifically the new 5R version.

First, yep it was/is a very good rifle and honestly will do cloverleafs at 100yd from an open rest if the shooter is up to it.

Theres nothing wrong with the rifle at all, the problem is that i was born one of those people who must shoot every gun they see and not being extermly rich means i do have sale one once in a while to fund the next project which is what happened here. (next project is a ultra light .260r on a savage platform).

I would have no problem buying either a 10pc .223 or .308 with either the "new" or old accu-stock.

Back