Foxpro Sounds for Bobcats

gethuntin

What are some sounds you guys found that work for you. Looking at alot of bird sounds but theres alot of choices. Getting ready to buy a caller and i am getting my sound list ready.

Thanks

I've called in 5 bobcats over the past 5 years. All came in while I was just calling coyotes, using a standard rabbit distress. All were called using a hand call, none with E-call. I've never called in a cat while calling specifically for them, using the E-call and decoy.

Go figure.

Every Bobcat I have ever called in came to a Jackrabbit in distress hand call. The Bobcats for me have usually hung up a hundred yards out and just sat there surveying the scene. Sometimes they are reall tough to see in the grass, so make sure to look really hard during calling and definitely before you decide to stand up and leave. The last 2 I killed were a good 10 minutes after I stopped calling.

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

About a month ago this bobcat ran right up to my caller like a coyote about two minutes into the stand while I was playing Prairie Dog Distress.

I have called in quite a few bobcats over the years and most all of them came in to rabbit distress sounds.

I think making your stand within 500 yards or less of the bobcat is more important than the sound you use.

I use a e-caller and quite often I don't see the bobcats until they are within 30 yards or less of the caller.

I just got called and shot my first bobcat...She came in after 10 or 15 minutes of medium loud to soft calling on a closed read cottontail call. I was on the edge of really thick brush...The cat came to within 8 yards of me...I think it was a young cat, so it might have been more enthusiastic than an older one might have been...but I'm not sure....

I was also working a homemade "bird" decoy made of turkey feathers tied to a 3 inch section of 1/2 inch rope...The decoy is connected to a small spool of braided fishing line. I hang the decoy up on a small branch three or four feet off the ground and shake it on and off as I call....When I first saw the cat is was focussed on the decoy, but then I must have moved slightly and it focussed on me.....

Ive called in 6 in the last 4 years and all have came to cottontail distress on a Johhny Stewart call. If your wanting bird sounds these are a must. Lucky bird, wailing woodpecker, and screamin blue jay are amongst my favorites. Good luck

I've called cats with a variety of sounds. Bryon South's Cottontail in Distress got one, the Johnny Stewart's Rodent sound got a couple. I called two cats with doe bleats, and even had them come to a series of coyote howls and hurt pup sounds. You just never know what a cat will respond to.

One time I called a bobcat on the run with a raccoon fight sound. I had tried rabbit, bird, rodent and fawn sounds for close to 45 minutes, with no results. Finally I switched to the raccoon fight sound, and within seconds I saw the cat coming along on old logging road on the farm, about 100 yards away. It was running hard while the raccoon fight sound was playing. But once the sound paused for a moment, the cat stopped. Then, when the sound continued, he began running again. I don't know what it was about that sound, but this particular cat liked it. No doubt the other sounds had the cat coming in, but there was something about that raccoon fight that triggered it to running toward the sound.

In general, from what most guys say, cats respond better to high-pitch, squeeky sounds, bird sounds etc. It doesn't hurt to mix 'em up and do something different sometimes. Whatever works, works.

Bobcat1-1.jpg

EditedBobcat2.jpg

GasRoadCat.jpg

Bobcats2.jpg

444Bobcat3.jpg

Bobkitty2.jpg

If you are targeting cats in particular then play a high pitched rabbit or bird. You'll call them in a lot while going for coyotes and they eat a lot of the same thing.

On a side note, cats do like constant sound more than coyotes. You don't want to quit calling if you have a cat sneaking in (if you have an e-caller). A lot of times if you stop, so will they. They'll just sit and look around. Make your stands atleast 15-30 minutes long. I've had them come in after an hour of calling on a stand.

They also seem to completely ignore scent while they are approaching. I've had them walk up my scent cone coming to the call.

Happyyoter,

Virginia has a limit of 12 bobcats per year, taken either by hunting, trapping or a combination.

The most I have taken in a single year was three, all by calling.

I called in one last night and killed it. It started to come in to a cottontail distress and hung up on the edge of the woods hissing. I switched to a red fox distress and it finally brought him around where I could get a shot at him.

It took a LONG time to coax him into coming out.

Back