What the Heck! So says Bubba.....Final Chapter

mikegranger

I know some of you have been waiting awhile for the next Bubba installment so here it goes.

I’ve spent a total of 12 weeks supervising various wildlife recovery and cleanup efforts at the Deep Water Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico this summer. My first of three assignments began in late June and my last just wrapped up 3 days before Thanksgiving. Needless to say, I’ve had plenty of sand, sun and oil to last me awhile. I was ready to go hunting and so were the hounds. Finally, on December 4, 2010 the dog box was loaded, trailer hooked up, enough food to ensure myself and the dogs could survive for a month,and two bawling, anxious dogs hit the road for another glorious coyote season. The forecast was good for the next few days and I was cautiously optimistic. Wind is the big killer of calling here in eastern Montana but none was forecast for 4 days or so. We drove for a few hours but the more I drove, the more anxious I got. Winter began with a bang here in Montana. While I was soaking up the sun on barrier islands off the coast of Mississippi, it was snowing in Montana. Snow isn’t so bad but when it’s accompanied by “blow”, roads and trails get drifted in something fierce. Well, that’s what I was seeing, fierce drifts and 6 inches of snow on the level. Yikes was the predominate word going through my brain. We get to one of our trusty parking spots and almost got stuck trying to park the trailer! Oh, this isn’t good!! It’s dark by now so the evening was spent tidying up the trailer and looking over the maps. I like studying maps and can spend hours doing so. Bedtime finally came around as the temperature dropped to -8 below zero outside.

On December 5 the sun did not rise!!! What, that’s impossible. Well, let me be more specific, I’m sure the sun rose, but it was not obvious at all where I was hunting. A blanket of dense fog covered the area and stayed the entire day. Seldom does eastern Montana have such a thick layer of fog. Visibility was below 100 yards and not a single coyote was seen. We tried calling several spots but nary a coyote, deer, rabbit or raven made it’s presence know to us. Heck, I almost got lost and was real close to turning on the GPS, imagine that!
DSC_4510.jpg

DSC_4524.jpg

Anyway, by days end we had worked our way back to the camper and while slowly driving down the highway but what do I see but a stripped skunk walking in the middle of the road? I couldn’t believe my eyes, skunks are supposed to be denning this time of the year. I slow down to avoid the skunk and pull over on the side of the road in order to call my lovely wife. I’d hunted this area enough to know I was sitting on the last spot that had a cell signal. While I was calling Shelly something moved outside the passenger window and this guy appeared.

DSC_4543.jpg

He milled around for several minutes while the dogs stared with great interest. I don’t know if they’ve ever been on a badger, Dash for sure hasn’t. Pretty soon this guy came waddling back.
DSC_4550.jpg

The skunk and badger saw each other and the skunk went back out into the field with the badger following.
DSC_4553.jpg

DSC_4546.jpg

Eventually the badger decided it was time to come back and crawled into his hole, not ten feet from two super anxious dogs whining in the back of the pickup. That was it for day one. Well, I did forget to mention getting stuck going into the second stand of the day.

Day two was going to be beautiful. No wind, no fog and plenty of sun. I saw two coyotes on the way to the first stand and four coyotes on the first stand! Unfortunately, they went the other way at the first report of the predator calls.

Two more coyotes were seen going to the next stand, another going away at stand two, and three more coyotes that wouldn’t respond to the call at stand three. If your counting, that’s 11 coyotes seen and it’s barely past 9 am! Well, the entire day went just like that. All in all we saw 20 coyotes and not one would respond to the call. On the very last stand a badger popped it’s head up out of the hole not 50 yards from me and that was that! He’s now on the fur rack.

Day three was just as beautiful as the previous and results were the same! Oh, and we got stuck again! I did get some nice pictures of the dogs.
DSC_4622.jpg

The Wonder Dog in all his glory.
DSC_4561.jpg

Dash is looking pretty darn good too.
DSC_4594.jpg

DSC_4682.jpg

And a nice sunset.

[img:center]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1162709/HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang it. You think someone has been calling up there a lot or the coyotes just are not hungry? What gives?

I would have shot that badger right in the face. Hahahah!!!!The diggers are a "shoot on site critter" here, hated more than yotes.
Nice to see you back in the field Mike.

Bummer when the weather system and ect are not good for animal movement and hunting! Been wondering where you were, didn't hear of many fires this summer, didn't realize you would need to go there. I finally trapping WY again, after 5 yrs, snow, rain, mud, ice, -10-15 degrees some nights, lots of fun! Not good for trapping.

Great pictures and write up, as always. Your story seems to be the sum of my whole season this year. Can't go anywhere but up from here and a day in the field beats five at work.

Yeah, that badger would have got some hot stuff. They are one of the only animals that carry a worse reputation than Obama around here.

Not shooting one is likely to have some farmers chasing you with pitch forks.

Nice report, no fur but we can't have it all right?
I would have shot that badger too Duane, I have always wanted one of their skulls and fur.

Fog is a bear to call in, good thing you had gps with you.

Man those dogs are ALOT bigger than mine, hard to believe how much Dash has filled out.

Quote:Dang it. You think someone has been calling up there a lot or the coyotes just are not hungry? What gives?

Lonnie, no doubt they've been called to. Deer rifle season just got over with as well. They're always a little spooky this time of year. As the season wears on and they get hungrier things should pick up.

Quote:I would have shot that badger right in the face. Hahahah!!!!The diggers are a "shoot on site critter" here, hated more than yotes.
Nice to see you back in the field Mike.

Duane, I would have done so as well but the fence you see in the picture is the edge of the highway right of way. The badger was in the ditch right off the edge of the highway so "untouchable". When he crossed over after the skunk I could have given chase but by then I was talking to Shelly and give her a play by play of what he was doing. Sometimes the critters get a lucky break. This one did, unlike the one the following day.
blush.gif

Quote:I always look forward to your stories and photos. Have you put a larger furnace in your camper to handle that cold weather or do you just endure?

Jack, I put another Wave 3 catalytic heater in the camper this year. That's two Wave 3's plus the stove for a quick shot of heat, and the gas light. It's still pretty darn cold as I don't leave the heaters running during the day. There's no way my wife would put up with the cold. I only run one heater during the night and have a window open so as to prevent CO poisoning.

My 5 gallon water bottles freeze after a couple of days and there's no need to light the frig! But, it's still better than sleeping in a tent. I also sleep under 3 quilts and a -20 below sleeping bag.

Shelly wants me to get a modern camper with a generator, forced air heat and all the modern amenities. Nah, I'll stick with the old trailer that's got a few dents and lots of character!

Originally Posted By: mikegranger
quote]

Shelly wants me to get a modern camper with a generator, forced air heat and all the modern amenities. Nah, I'll stick with the old trailer that's got a few dents and lots of character!

Im happy to see im not the only one that likes things with a little age and character on them.I have a 78 that i have had since 96 and im about to get it fixed up to be my perfect camp lol.
Great story i really enjoyed reading it!!
Steve

Day four started out as the two previous, absolutely beautiful, calm winds and plenty of sun. Problem was the coyotes didn’t seem to like our mojo! I was beginning to wonder if I knew anything about calling coyotes? Hey, but I do know how to get stuck, this is #3 if your counting!
DSC_4714.jpg

I’m walking back from the second stand of the day when this guy pulls up to the truck, gets out and says “Are you the infamous Mike Granger”? I figured it could be one of two things: 1) My lovely wife of 28 1/2 years had decided enough was enough and I was about to be served papers!
2) or, the more likely scenario was he was a member or Predator Masters and had read the stories about Bubba the Wonder Dog and figured he’d have to introduce himself before getting to pet Bubba!

DSC_4735.jpg

Randy Shepard is from Iowa and happened to stumble onto me in the middle of nowhere. Randy has been reading my stories for some time and when he saw my camper and then me walking down the hill with a couple of dogs he put two and two together.
After polite introductions Randy asked me if I’d been killing many coyotes. I told him my sad story and his response was “Thank God”!! Randy had been hunting for 8 days and had killed 8 coyotes. He was beginning to doubt himself as was I. Like I always say, enjoy the great days when coyotes come in like they’re on a string because those days will be far outnumbered by the bad days. Even us “Great Coyote Hunters” eat humble pie on all too often occasions.

Randy and I made a couple of stands but the results were the same. I asked Randy if he’d been listening to the weather as a Big Blow was on it’s way. Winds of 40-60 mph were going to hit during the night and the following two days. He had and was heading out as was I.

That was it, four days of coyote hunting, miles and miles of snow shoeing all of which produced one badger and no coyotes responding to the call. Oh, and guess what I saw on the way back home? Yep, another stripped skunk walking in the ditch and on the opposite side of the road? You guessed it, a badger! I’ve got to do some research as these two sightings are more than coincidence.

Here’s a picture of Bubba which just about sums it up. He's helping me call but no takers. I'm thinking this is my favorite picture of Bubba to date.
DSC_4534.jpg

And a video clip. Just click on the picture and it should play.

Last edited:
Back