Baiting

For you guys that don't have enough freezer room for 5 gallon buckets, put your scraps in a gallon size zip-lock bag and add water. If you have trouble getting your frozen bait out of a regular bucket or don't have room for something that big, buy some cheap plastic trash cans. You can find them in sizes smaller than a 5 gallon bucket. The sides are tapered on them so it is easy to get the frozen bait out of them.

One year I was running low on bait and I had a large bag of el-cheapo dog biscuits to I scattered them in a large area around by bait and a couple days later shot a coyote that was there eating the dog biscuits.

Never tried that Brian! Oh Brian I know its a little off topic,but could you post your Video on "Air Skinning Yotes" on here??? Still have never seen it. Thanks Jeff
smile.gif

Deer scraps,Chicken bones,Squirrel,Rabbit,Hotdogs,Leftovers and so on... I have even been known to go Dumpster diving at the KFC. In fact KFC Sickls have proven to be very good one. Pack it in there close to the top...
smile.gif

I made one last night. Spent about 30 mins with a knifge gettin the liTtle bits of meat off the deer carcas before throwin that on the bait pile. Next week when I check the trail cam ill put the popcicle up

I use scrap venison parts for my bait popsicle. I prefer small scrap with no bone so I can pack it in the bucket. Add hot water to allow the blood in the meat to seep into the water. This way even if no meat is evident in the bite the ice still has flavor keeping the predator around. Set it and forget it!! If you have the time baiting each day will produce better results than ice baits. It's just like baiting for bears.

Along with calling I run a couple of bait stations, one is a 10 minute drive from my house, that way I can be there right after the evening meal during the week and have an hour to sit. This one has been the most productive so far, 4 coyotes in 5 days.

I also bait from time to time. When I butcher a hog, I don't gut it or cut off it's head. I'll drag the remaining carcass into an open field and leave it close to the edge of the woods but I drove a 5 foot steel rod into the ground and use either 150lb. test wire leader or a thin nylon rope around the neck to anchor the bait so that they can't drag it into the woods. Deer carcass and other larger parts work well also, but you need to anchor it or they will have it into the woods before you see them. I also use the hunter alert so that I can tell when they come to the bait.

Also from what I have read sometimes its better to start a bait pile in the woods and then gradually move it out into the open once you get yotes on the bait.

This is what I am trying because nothing touched a deer carcas in the 2 weeks I had it sitting on the field edge. I also mix it up. Bait popcicles and loose guts/carcases. They snag the fresh stuff but then there is always something there when they come by for a snack.

I didnt think we were allowed to bait in michigan ?

Originally Posted By: dannykAlong with calling I run a couple of bait stations, one is a 10 minute drive from my house, that way I can be there right after the evening meal during the week and have an hour to sit. This one has been the most productive so far, 4 coyotes in 5 days.

Does anyone know if the popsicles will work for Bobcats?

and what about cat food? will that work?

Jim

Last edited:
Ive seen pics on here from trail cams of bobcats on bait piles. Prolly works best in the dead of winter when everyones real hungry.

Also I am dissapointed at how long my baitcicle is taking to freeze. Its been in the uninsulated shop for 3 days now and the water isnt even frozen yet. Single digit lows for 2 outa the 3 days.

I just snap the lid back on the bucket and let it set outside. I had one frozen, put it out 2 days ago and it got up to 54 today. I think it melted a lot quicker than it froze.
cursing.gif

Back