55gr vmax out of 16in 1-8 twist?

jinxed247

Just wanted to know if anyone has shot hornady 55gr vmax out of a 16in bull barrel with a 1-8 twist? Any and all info would be appreciated...

I use a 16" Stainless HBar with a 1 in 8. It easily stays well under an inch with the 55 gr. V Max or anything else I've run through it. I'm fixing to run some 75 gr. Hornady OTM through it, I hope it works because this bullet is the reason I went with a 1 in 8. If you are concerned with too much twist for a 55 gr bullet it is not an issue. I seen some very impressive 30 shot groups ((3) 10 shot groups overlayed) fired from a chromelined 16" lightweight Colt with a 1 in 7 twist. BTW a 1 in 7 is actually a 1 in 7.7

Hi Jinx...are you looking for reload or factory information? I have a RR Pred Pursuit 16 inch 1/8 and I havent found a load that it doesnt shoot well. Whether factory or reload and in very many bullet weights. I happen to use the 55 gr Vmaxs and get outstanding groups, with factory and reloads.

I am looking for both factory and reloading info. I have an 16in 1-8 twist upper bull barrell waiting for me at home (I am deployed to Iraq at this current time), and I have been ordering way too much stuff (according to my wife!). So I haven't been able to fire it yet. When I go home on leave my brother and I are going to chase some coyotes and I needed some info on what factory loads are shooting accurately out of it. Of course every gun shoots different but I haven't heard anything bad about the 55gr vmax yet out of an ar. Most people are shooting longer barrells though so thanks for the info guys. I also have the Nikon Ar 2-8x32 bdc for the ar and was wondering what I could expect for fps out of the shorter barrell?
Nikon has that spot on ballistics stuff that if you input your fps,gr and what nikon scope your using you know what power the bdc is good for.
Any reloading info would be welcome too...thanks again!

I have a RRA Varmint with a 16" barrel and 1:8 twist and use 55 grain VMAX rounds. They shoot .5 MOA all day. I love those rounds.

Nice...thanks guys! It helps out alot cause when I go home on leave I am not going to have a lot of time to test out different loads so your guy's input is absolutely appreciated!

Hey Jinx...I chrony'd hand rolled loads(hornady 55vmaxs moly coated 26.1 gr Varget, 2.250", win primers and hornady cases) out of my 16incher. If I recall correctly, they shot around 2870 mean average. Which I was plesantly surprised about.

Factory loads did a little better, but not by much. Its been a while and I cant find my data, but I do recall how happy I was.

If it was a bit warmer, I'd go and recheck the loads but its dang cold here in NY and Im an old man.

If I can dig up my data, Ill post it if you like. Stay safe and God bless you and your family

Back