Finnaly getting started...

orkan

Went out on a weekend calling excursion with a couple buddies. Calling was pretty slow, as its still not cold enough and there is no snow... but we were able to get a few.

Howled these two up. You'll notice the dog on the right is a coy-dog, while the dog on the left is a normal coyote. I howled them both up on the same stand. The land owners dog has been laying the pipe to the coyotes in the area. He and his wife were very excited that we were able to get one killed. Coy-dogs are much more aggressive than the regular coyotes. This one was a male, while the coyote was a female. We spotted 4 other coyotes from that stand. The others weren't interested in my 22-250.
wink.gif

12-5-2010b.jpg

As you can see by the background... its big country! We put on some miles and my legs are dead. Called up 3 dogs on a set, but they caught something they didn't like. I tried bark-stopping them as they left, but they weren't having it. I started up with the pup yelps and this female came up on top of a ridge about 250yds away. I figured it at 300yds, and thusly hit her a little high. Its [beeep] hard to judge distance in that terrain. That 22-250 is a laser beam.
1205100932.jpg

It was a long drag. I rigged up a rope to aid in dragging these vermin back to the truck. It works best if you hook them around the snout. Easier to drag. Still, it was over 3/4 of a mile back to the truck... up and down some rugged terrain.
12-5-2010.jpg

We got a fourth dog this weekend, while we were driving to another spot. He didn't make it too far.
smile.gif

It was a very fun weekend, and I can't wait for the weather to get more hostile so these little bastards will start cooperating.

Sounds like you had a good weekend. I have seen several dogs running with coyotes around here but have not seen any coy-dogs that I know of. Good pics and keep up the good work.

It was tough hunting, that's for sure. The dogs just aren't hungry or excited about anything yet. That, and the deer hunters have every square inch of country trampled into the dirt.

I bet we made 25 sets this weekend, and these 3 coyotes were the only ones that presented a shot opportunity. I capitalized on them... but man we hunted hard all weekend, and these 3 were the only takers.

Our thinking is that it's just too nice for them still. A blanket of snow and some subzero temp's should kick things off nicely. Coyote talk was the only thing that was working it seems. Distress was useless.

Orkin
Nice going!!!
thumbup.gif
I will say that the dog on the right looks like just another coyote with a different color variation.
Everything I have read says,Coydogs tend to not last in colder climates because the females come into heat early,birthing the pups in the worst part of winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coydog

The picture doesn't do it justice. (camera phone)

That is a coy dog if I've ever seen one. The face/snout tells it all, and the thing looked like the spitting image of the ranchers dog when it came running up. I had to do a double take.

Back