Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical

I've owned the XCR (compact), LTR and the Savage model 10 Precision Carbine all in .223. Maybe I got a bad one, but my XCR wouldnt shoot better than a 1.5" group at 100 yards with any factory ammo I tried. I didn't reload at the time so that wasnt an option. the XCR just wasnt up to par, and spending over a grand on a rifle I was very disappointed in the results I was getting. The LTR shot about MOA with factory hornady loads, which is fine for a lot of people, and I'm sure if someone worked up some loads for it, it would be a great sub MOA calling rifle. With that said, the savage precision carbine would put 5 shots in a dime at 100 yards. I shoot often, and work at a gun shop part time for fun. I have the opportunity to shoot a lot of rifles. I am a Remington 700 lover, I truly am, My very first remington 700 was a varmint model and I upgraded to a b&c stock and its been the best shooting rifle I ever owned. But in my experience Remington doesn't hold a candle to the savage when it comes to accuracy (out of the box that is). Keep in mind I am just a rifle enthusiast, and I love to get out and shoot. I am by no means an expert shooter. If you're a guy like me who wants to get the most out of you're money and get the best bang for the buck, go with the savage, you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: schlaggermanDoes the XCR have a really wide beavertail fore end? Or is it just a slight swell?

very slight swell. not much wider than it is at the action

Back