Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 6 of 382 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 381 382 >
Topic Options
#1748733 - 12/12/10 09:11 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Jackindistress]
Jeff V Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Oswego, IL
yeah if you cant freeze it into the bait popsicle id do about the size of a gut pile at a time.

I made the mistake of taking a ton of meat out at once and it was all gone the 2nd night and i never got to hunt over it.

#1748746 - 12/12/10 09:16 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Jeff V]
hsracer201 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Central Va.
Well I can dump it in the field anywhere betwen 50 and 250 yards from the house and hunt in the heat, lol. My light only shines really good to about 150 yards though. Unless I break out the big, bad white spotlight, that sucker will shine for a long ways, but I don't want to spook them off. On the other side of the farm is a smaller sized subdivision and I have to make 100% sure it's not someone's dog.

I think I can stretch it out and maybe make it last 4 days as long as it doesn't get too warm. I hope that's enough time to establish it as a bait pile. We'll see.

Thanks guys.

Edited by hsracer201 (12/12/10 09:18 PM)

#1748915 - 12/12/10 10:49 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Wallbass45 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim
Hang in there Jeff the yotes just have to find it.
I am trying some cat food to see if I can get a Bobcat to come in.
I have put out cat food for the last three nights but I have not been watching it,but every morning it is picked clean. I think I will watch tonight to see what is eating it.
I haven't got my sensor yet. When I get it That will make it a lot easyer to keep track of the hoodoo theys eating my cat food.

Jim
Put a Trail cam on it Jim. That will also give you an Idea what time the are eating. smile

“There’s a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot.” JFK 7 days before his assassination

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”

#1748920 - 12/12/10 10:51 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Jeff V]
Wallbass45 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: Jeff V
yeah I have some fresh deer meat that i forgot about in the fridge that is no good so I am going to put a big chunk of that out for them and a fresh baitcicle when the weather breaks.

Once I get them eating then ill do some sitting. no sense in freezing my baguettes off if they arent coming in yet.

this weather is brutal though. Id have to be near starving to be outside in it.
Yes,But this would be a great time to put it out! thumbup

“There’s a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot.” JFK 7 days before his assassination

#1748928 - 12/12/10 10:56 PM Re: Baiting [Re: hsracer201]
Wallbass45 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: hsracer201
Pardon me for butting in, but I have a question.

My parents had an extra fridge in the garage and the freezer side went out and they didn't notice it until it was too late. Lost a LOT of deer meat, along with beef and some other meats tossed in there too. It sucks, but it's no ones fault. If you don't know it went out, you don't know it went out.

I went over there tonight and got it all and I have 2 5-gallon buckets level full. I want to use it for bait.

I live on a pretty good sized farm and I usually leave the deer carcasses out for the coyotes. They are usually picked clean the second night. One time I wanted to see if they would come close to the house so I left a carcass about 100 yards away and they did come up and get it and drag it off.

I guess my question is should I dump both buckets on the ground and just hope for the best or part it out just a little each night? Temps are hovering around freezing so they might start stinking a little in a day or two.

If I dump them tonight I can't shoot anything till midnight because we can't hunt on Sundays and I'm not staying up super late tonight because I might deer hunt in the morning.

Any ideas or suggestions? If it helps, it's been a couple weeks since our deer rifle season and it's been bow only. Muzzleloader just opened again Saturday and will continue till around the first. So it's probably been a couple weeks since they've eaten really good on gut piles.

Thanks!
I would make Yotepops out of it you might get three pops,then put one out and save the other for rebateing grin

#1749000 - 12/12/10 11:54 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Wallbass45]
hsracer201 Offline
Seasoned Member

I took the largest roast out there and laid it down. I'm pretty sure nothing will find it tonight but I might be suprsied.

I will try to split the rest up evenly over the next few nights and try to get lucky.

Reckon I should do any type of calling at all or just be quiet each night and sit and wait?

#1749153 - 12/13/10 07:59 AM Re: Baiting [Re: hsracer201]
Brian Downs Offline
PM Sponsor

Loc: MA
Calling will work it just depends on your patience
Good Luck
FOXPRO's Predator hunting talkcast host

#1749301 - 12/13/10 11:06 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Brian Downs]
greenmountainboy Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: vermont
deer season is over here in the nek, so baiting for coyotes is now my priority. i just went to the local deer processor and obtained about 200 gallons of deer renderings and some caribou and deer hides. the renderings are now in various buckets and tubs filled with hot water waiting for the weather to turn cold again so they will freeze.the hides have worked well in the past, i have shot several coyotes as they chew and drag the frozen hides around.
i have used beef, moose and poultry, but i have found that coyotes do not like pork-pigs. they will feed on the guts, but will not return to the emptied carcass, even the renderings do not keep them coming back.i have also used calves that died on a neighboring farm, but the results are not as good as the deer parts and hides. when the weather turns really cold they will come. good luck to all, lets keep sharing our baiting info and results posted, thanks for your time.i love this site.

#1749453 - 12/13/10 01:33 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Wallbass45]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oregon
Put a Trail cam on it Jim. That will also give you an Idea what time the are eating. smile

Yeah I have a trail Cam I am going to put out, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I am still working on my blind and lights. I finally got my XLR 250 kill light. Man is this thing a powerful red led light. I found that if I put it under the barrel there is no glare in the scope.

Jim

Edited by Cougar Jim (12/13/10 01:34 PM)

My father always told me A man is only as good as his word and I truly believe that.

#1749467 - 12/13/10 01:41 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
hsracer201 Offline
Seasoned Member

Be careful of it wrecking your accuracy. Things on the barrel will screw with your accuracy, sometimes not bad, sometimes a lot. Just saying...

Something took the bait I put out last night betwen 8 something this morning and lunch time. It was there when I left for work and gone when I came in for lunch. (I live pretty close to work so I can come home on break) It was a really large roast I had cut out for Christmas time, so I know it took something with a little bit of size to it to drag it off. I don't think a hawk could have flown off with it. I need a trail camera...

#1749639 - 12/13/10 04:12 PM Re: Baiting [Re: hsracer201]
Jackindistress Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: USA
I tried my light in different position mounted on the scope and under the barrel and I can see better with it under the gun. I put the clamp as close as I could to the end of the forend and wrapped a layer of tape around the barrel to help keep it from getting scratched. I checked my groups after mounting it and it didn't affect the accuracy or point of impact out to 200 yards. The gun I have it on is not my primary calling gun so it won't get used much past 100 yards anyway.

hsracer201, it sounds like you might have a stray dog around there. If you have your bait there by your house, put a ding-donger on it so you will know when something hits it during the night.

#1749896 - 12/13/10 07:14 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Jackindistress]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

I don't believe it will affect accuracy if you don't over tighten it.

Jim

My father always told me A man is only as good as his word and I truly believe that.

#1750095 - 12/13/10 09:25 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Jeff V Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Oswego, IL

thats all i got on my camera, about 4 pictures of this guy and a 6 pointer sniffin the carcas

#1750110 - 12/13/10 09:32 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
hsracer201 Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim
I don't believe it will affect accuracy if you don't over tighten it.

Jim

Sir, if you are at all familiar with barrel harmonics you will know that ANY influence on a barrel can cause accuracy problems. That's why folks free float barrels. A barrel oscilates as a round travels down the pipe. Anything that affects this movement by slowing it down or throwing it off balance can shift your POI.

I'm not saying it WILL wreck your groups, but there is chance that it can. It's always good to check and see. That's all.

Originally Posted By: Jackindistress

hsracer201, it sounds like you might have a stray dog around there. If you have your bait there by your house, put a ding-donger on it so you will know when something hits it during the night.

Possibly. I haven't seen any stray dogs around and I'm in and out several times a day and I hunted here a LOT during deer season. I've never seen a stray and none of my close neighbors even have a loose dog. Not to say it couldn't happen at all, but I do hear the coyotes at night and during deer season they drag off the deer caracasses really quickly. I saw them doing it one night in my headlights. They are here.

Edited by hsracer201 (12/13/10 09:37 PM)

#1750202 - 12/13/10 10:23 PM Re: Baiting [Re: hsracer201]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

Well I found out tonight what is hitting my bait every night.
I finally got my sensor and put it up today and it went off while I was eating dinner.
When I went out to my blind and put the red led light on the bait, there was 3 Fox running all around the bait.
I didn't shoot one because I want a Bobcat. I had the cross hairs on one at 63 yds but I didn't shoot.
I didn't feel like skinning a fox tonight, besides Fox pelts is not worth it.

Jim

Page 6 of 382 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 381 382 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.