Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 179 of 374 < 1 2 ... 177 178 179 180 181 ... 373 374 >
Topic Options
#2607938 - 01/07/14 09:11 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
dog driller Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: new england
dreamer
-- we have had our first known bald eagle around the bait and would not touch it-- one sight has the camera and the other has nothing and neither sight has steel.
as far as baiting goes -- so far this year has been one of the best as far as activity goes. I attribute it to the cold temps and the way I have laid out bait. I have used far more bait than I have used in the past -- and it is big stuff and I have froze it together in bigger blocks/pieces. 24-30 crows show up in the morning and with all the cackling I think it has given the coyotes a sense of security. My problem is I can't be there as much as I like do to work. The camera and the sightings that I have seen during the day on weekends is a lot more than other years. We have full moon coming up in a week and I am hoping that the wind will die down and the temps moderate because I have personal mission to shoot a coyote over bait with a shotgun. I have had 2 chances up close at night the last couple of years once I had a rifle and missed the other time I had a shotgun and was busted. I have used baitsicles a lot over the last bunch of years and this year I have decided that more baitsicles at one site is much better than just one if you are able to do it. One more thing I have used dead calves in the past and this year I have not used them at all and rely solely on butcher trimmings and skeleton pieces. I do not think they like the hide of the calves.
6mm06 --
those trailers pics are killing me... I want one!! I hope you get some activity soon and things turn around. I remember what that was like last year.

#2607954 - 01/07/14 09:20 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
NYyotekiller Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Van Etten, NY
I haven't seen this relationship between the birds and the predators either.

The only tip I could give you is to try to freshen up your bait site.

If I start to see a lull in my sightings at the bait site I'll either remove the bait that I have at the site and bring in new bait, or I'll just bring in some more bait and add it to the existing bait.

#2607996 - 01/07/14 10:06 PM Re: Baiting [Re: dog driller]
FishSqueezer Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: USA
Have folks experience avoidance behavior with steel attached to bait in the past?

#2608079 - 01/07/14 11:35 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Dog Driller, Yea, me too. I would love to have a little trailer like that.

I have noticed that coyotes are different personalities. Some seem to be more cautious than others. Some are scared at pulling a large bait whether staked or not. Others don't seem to mind as much. They much prefer to grab a big piece and run off with it. Many times they will warm up to the staked-down bait after being initially scared. Gray fox are generally scared too of a larger bait whether staked down or not.

Here's some video clips to illustrate. This coyote is nervous at the bait, which is normal for most, but also he doesn't like the Ravens.

Click each of the photos to see the video.

Here he manages to get the carcass free from the stake, and carries it off.

Here is a clip of a gray fox pulling at the bait, as well as some other visitors.
Bobcats don't seem to mind a carcass staked down.

#2608244 - 01/08/14 10:31 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
dreamer Offline

Loc: mi.
Normally I have up to 13 eagles eating and now none.I have freshened up the site numerous times. Recently added dog food to site, hoping the coyote will show. I've got ravens and eagles eating a road kill 1.5 miles away but won't touch my site. I really believe the eagles and ravens make the coyotes feel more secure about the site.I hate to remove the sensors because they are such a great plus (thanks to this forum).I've been back in the weeds for a few yrs absorbing all the info on this forum.dreamer

Edited by dreamer (01/08/14 10:36 AM)

#2608253 - 01/08/14 10:50 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

Dreamer, I don't see how the sensors can be the problem. If you have them camoed, they shouldn't even notice them. I have mine inside sterilite containers which have been camo painted. We don't have ravens here, but plenty of crows and they pay no attention to them. I know 6mm06 also has some problems with hawks stealing his bait at times as well as crows.

#2608289 - 01/08/14 11:44 AM Re: Baiting [Re: DoubleUp]
dreamer Offline

Loc: mi.
Doubleup: My sensors are a grayish green against the snow background.In fact I just wrapped the 2x2 poles that the sensors are attached to with white tree trunk plastic. This is my first yr. using them. there was not a problem in November, I shot one coyote and missed one ( no clue how, but I did). I had coyotes and red tailed hawks on the site a few times. My bait is 190 yds.away in a field. Thanks, Dreamer

Edited by dreamer (01/08/14 11:47 AM)

#2608695 - 01/08/14 09:38 PM Re: Baiting [Re: 6mm06]
FishSqueezer Offline
Seasoned Member

Well,

I checked on the bait today and took a few pics of the set up. The red circle indicates where we plan to set our blind, it should be a 75 yd shot.

Freshened it up with what I call corned beef crunch (corned beef & dog food)

The trail camera captured our first visitor yesterday - a red-tailed hawk. Hooked up a nice piece of private ground today - I hope to get a bait out there tomorrow night as well.

#2609287 - 01/09/14 05:31 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Dreamer, I haven't noticed any problems with birds or animals and the Driveway Patrol. I spray-painted my sensors and have four at the bait site.

FishSqueezer, that's a good-looking location. I wish you well, and hope the hawks and crows leave the bait alone. I have had a fit with them this year, as well as little to no coyote activity.

#2609329 - 01/09/14 06:30 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
jkruger Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: western, ny

Edited by jkruger (01/09/14 06:49 PM)

#2609332 - 01/09/14 06:31 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
jkruger Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: western, ny
Ok, I did something wrong!!! IMG]http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/jameskruger/GrayFox1_zpsea2c1eb2.jpg[/IMG Sorry guys, I've tried to get these to come up on the screen as an actual photo and haven't been able to. I also read the directions in another place here , but it didn't seem to work for me. I'm not tech savvy either (goes without saying)!!!

Edited by jkruger (01/10/14 07:17 AM)

#2609363 - 01/09/14 07:14 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
deerslyr1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: massachusetts
I've had issues this year too....I've had my bait out since last week of December and nothing every time we have snow I've had coyote and fox tracks with in 10 yds of the bait but they are not hitting it . Mine is in a field same as every year 80 yds from back porch of my camp(camp is off a dirt Rd and has a drive way 1/4 mile long so is quite secluded). Has one small 8" tree 5yds from the bait which has 2 driveway patrol sensors on it and a primos no flash blackout camera then I have 2 more steel rods driven into the ground which each has a sensor on it. Last Monday I moved the camera 20 yds away and checked it again today and same story fresh tracks 10- 20 yds but not going to the bait.
Another odd thing I've noticed this year is no crows or ravens around....usually they are all over it during the day! As of now I have a 30lb piglet and 2 deer ribcage one of which is filled with deer meat scraps and frozen.....
I am thinking this weekend I will camo the sensors and the steel stakes with leaves and sticks and maybe add some hemlock bows around the bait but low to the ground as to not mess up my Line of sight.
Only other thing I may try to is scatter small pieces of meat around the bait.....any other ideas? I'll get some pics this weekend.
Another thing I noticed last Sunday one yote circled the field and bait and was peeing blood in 2 spots in the field....figured maybe a female coming In to heat a bit early??

Edited by deerslyr1 (01/09/14 07:18 PM)

#2609647 - 01/09/14 11:22 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

deerslyr1, sounds like you have a good plan to improve the chances for them to actually start hitting the bait. I had one on camera last night but it didn't come to the bait either probably stayed 10-15 feet from it.

#2610253 - 01/10/14 06:00 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
NYyotekiller Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Van Etten, NY
I've been "chumming" the dogs for the past few weeks without throwing any lead at them with hopes that they will come in more regularly. Well, the past three days they have visited every night.

#2610258 - 01/10/14 06:04 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
preddhunter Offline
Predator Master

Loc: maine
well I have had a bait out for two weeks now and went out and checked it 5 days ago. well it had been hit but it had rained the day before so I could not tell what hit it and my game cam did not work so I switched the camera. I went and checked it today and had a few critters show up. will have to get out and see if they will show up for me this weekend.
here's some pics

Page 179 of 374 < 1 2 ... 177 178 179 180 181 ... 373 374 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.