Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 165 of 350 < 1 2 ... 163 164 165 166 167 ... 349 350 >
Topic Options
#2547260 - 09/23/13 01:22 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oregon
doubleup
I have a Savage Bolt with 1-9 twist. I only bought one box of 20 to see how they would shoot.

Jim

My father always told me A man is only as good as his word and I truly believe that.

#2547298 - 09/23/13 08:16 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: USA
Hey Jim, the 75's shot really good in my Savage bolt with 1x9 twist. I was handloading and could get about 2,800 fps using H4895. They shot in the .3 to .4's pretty consistently. Wish now that I had tried them on some game so that I could tell you more about how hard they hit and expand. You might do a search on here and get some info on them. I'm sure some of these guys have tried them and posted about it at some point.

#2547401 - 09/23/13 01:04 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oregon
Doubleup, here is a YouTube link with a gel test for the 75 bthp s

Gel test

My father always told me A man is only as good as his word and I truly believe that.

#2547440 - 09/23/13 03:26 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

Looks pretty impressive for sure. I also found this video while looking at the other one of a hit on a pork shoulder with the 75.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htc7djfeNhw

#2547535 - 09/23/13 07:28 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
cozwurth Offline

Loc: SE Virginia
Well, I was able to clear out a bit more growth cleared out, and I was able to shoot a line with the range-finder. A grand total of 23 yards. I knew it was short, but not quite that short. I will be able to shift over to the right a little and get a longer shot as well as a better line-up on the shed. Thick growth all the way back, though. More sticker vines, grape vines, and small trees.

#2547540 - 09/23/13 07:35 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

Coz, how far from the shed to the woods? Is that 23 yds from the shed to the root pile or is that just the path is 23 yds?

#2547804 - 09/24/13 10:21 AM Re: Baiting [Re: DoubleUp]
cozwurth Offline

DoubleUp,
The shed is only about 6-8 feet from the wood line. 23 yards total from just in front of the root ball to the back of the shed. There is another downed tree/root ball about 5-6 yards beyond the first one. Isabel sure did a number on the trees a few years ago. Rotating the lane a bit to the right will work out better in the long run as it will line up better to the shed. Down side is that the two root balls will give the critters some cover on the left side of the lane.

#2547837 - 09/24/13 12:02 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

Coz, I think you'll have to get a longer lane for sure. I don't remember how your layout looked when you posted it. Is that the only direction you can shoot? Do you have cleared land to the left or right? Is there a window available on either of those sides?

#2547870 - 09/24/13 01:31 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

FEMALE COYOTE DOWN!!

Yesterday evening I settled into the cabin, reattached the NV apparatus and shot one time to check zero. It was right there, just a tad bit high, less than 1/2" at 60 yards.

Around 1:30 AM the sensor went off. I got out of bed and into shooting position, turned on the NV outfit and IR light. It was a possum. The coyote had been visiting during that time most nights, but I suspected a possum by the way the alarm sounded. I watched the possum for maybe a couple of minutes, basically playing around with lights and positioning the crosshair on him, when suddenly he ran fast down the hill. I didn't know a possum could run so fast.

I thought to myself, what the heck! I'll bet that coyote is coming. I waited a few more minutes and nothing, so I returned to bed. I had just got zipped up in the sleeping bag and settled in good when the alarm went off again. This time the alarm acted differently. It was the coyote. I squeezed the trigger at 1:48 AM.

I can generally tell when a coyote is at the site vs a possum. Possums move around slowly and don't ring the alarm as much or often, whereas a coyote is jittery most of the time and moves around a lot. The sensors tend to go off more steadily when a coyote is present.

The Wildgame Innovations Crush 3 trail camera provided IR, but I turned on the 940nm light which really helped. The crush is aiming more toward the cabin, and the 940 light illuminated the side of the coyote that I shot. Illumination was great.

Problem is, I shot just as the camera turned off, so no kill on video. The Bushnell trail camera didn't earn it's keep this time and never got a single coyote video last night. Don't know what's going on with it lately.

At the shot, the coyote almost fell, but tried to stay on it's feet. Basically it was down but trying to stay up. It jumped around three or four times going down hill and fell. That was it.

First photo is a view from the cabin door.

The Eagle Tac light really provided great illumination for me last night, though I didn't use it when I shot the coyote. Just by itself it was great, but was even enhanced more with the aid of the 940nm light. The bullet camera mounted behind the scope ocular could see so well and bright. I was amazed and very pleased with the illumination.

I had the scope set to 8X this time, which caused some loss of field of view. However, on 8X I could see very, very well to place the crosshair just right. Set on 6X to 7X is plenty and actually provides a bit more brightness as well as better field of view.

You can see in the photo where the bullet hit the coyote. There was a patch of blood on the offside, but I searched and searched and could not find an exit at all. When I pressed on the coyote's ribs, I could hear mush inside, and also felt something hard just under the skin, more like bone. I'm thinking a bone or something just barely made a pin hole in the offside and caused some drops of blood to ooze out. That coyote went to pieces inside from the little Hornady 25 gr. HP out of the CZ .17 Remington.

This coyote makes number 8 taken from the cabin / bait site area with night vision, the last two of which were with the home-made version.

The Bushnell scope with it's parallax adjustment seems to have solved the POI issue that I had earlier with the other scope. However, seems I continue to have problems sighting the scope in via the LCD monitor. Once sighted, it appears (at least for now) to be holding zero and POI fairly well. Aiming is not quite as precise as looking through a traditional daytime scope, but it's plenty close enough for reasonable distances.

I was disappointed that I didn't get the shot on video, but I plan to remedy that. I plan to get a small DVR that will hook into the bullet camera and will record what is seen through the scope.

My thoughts about the home-made night vision took a turn for the better last night. I think I can now recommend it to anyone who might be interested in the same. It's cheap to put together and it works much better than my Gen 1 scope. It does need illumination, however, but with that I would venture a guess that it's as good as a Gen 2. Just guessing since I've never looked through a Gen 2.

#2547872 - 09/24/13 01:35 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

I mounted the Eagle Tac to the PVC pipe that's extended outside the cabin. The PVC allows the scope to "see" outside the cabin, and is just slipped
onto the objective end of the scope and then pushed through the cutout in the window foam. I used a small Weaver base, screwed into the pipe.
I then ran the wired control to the inside of the cabin. That Eagle Tac is the cat's meow for this little bullet camera. The camera sees much better
with it than the Gen 1 ATN Spartan NV scope does.

I can't see outside the cabin in any way with this setup, and rely on the Driveway Patrol sensor to tell me when to turn the unit on and take a peek.
That's why I like multiple sensors at the bait site, so that nothing gets through without being detected.

Here's a look at the remote control box and battery box mounted on the post where the 940nm light is.
It's a simple matter to turn the light on and off from the cabin when I need it. That coyote never paid
any attention to the light at all - it couldn't see any illumination.

The main focus point of the 940nm light was just a bit off last night, with the brightest area of illumination to the left of the bait site itself.
This morning I put a ladder up and rotated it right just a bit. It's easy to adjust after I placed it on that wheel-type deal.

#2548106 - 09/24/13 10:16 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
dog driller Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: new england
nice going! congratulations 6mm06. I have been pretty happy the way things are going here -- nights have gotten cold and the game camera is showing yotes between 4:30 and 6:30 a.m. looks like a male and female. the male has some size so this should be fun. we did a pig roast over the weekend and I have all the bones for bait. this is turning out to be a nice start to season now we need to put some on the ground

#2548215 - 09/25/13 08:30 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

06, you certainly had your A-game on with that one. I know it was very gratifying to you. You have put a monumental amount of effort into getting your setup and equipment right and now it is paying off yet again. Thanks for all the help you've given me and others in the baiting section.

#2548218 - 09/25/13 08:46 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
cozwurth Offline

06, that's great news on the DIY NV setup. Good to see you have the POI issue worked out. I downloaded the YouTube guy's spreadsheet of parts, so I may start gathering parts for a similar setup. I want to get my lane and site setup first, though.

DoubleUp, I do have cleared land to the left, but it's not my property. I can rotate my lane a little to the right to clear the downed trees and get the distance, and it will actually line up better on the shed I intend to shoot from. The other shed has a couple of larger trees behind it, and I want to keep those. Hopefully I will get a chance to do a little more site-work over the next few days.

Question: I have a lot of briers and vines to clear out. Would piling these up on the left side of the lane in the area between the root balls be a good idea? I would think it would help keep the critters from hiding out there. The roots balls will end up being about mid-way down range.

#2548322 - 09/25/13 01:09 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Offline
Die Hard Member III

Coz, I don't see where it would hurt anything to pile them there. Might give the rabbits a place to hide. smile

#2548332 - 09/25/13 01:45 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
ARCOREY Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Congrats David on another fine shot from the cabin. Of all the times I need to save money, you get this home made NV setup going and start tempting me. If you were to need to be mobile, say on foot for night hunting, would this setup still work in your opinion?

Page 165 of 350 < 1 2 ... 163 164 165 166 167 ... 349 350 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.