Hemispheric Solidarity

Handloader

I have this reoccuring fantasy that someday we will awaken to a more appropriate role as a nation in the direction of our foreign policy. OK, it is a fantasy and bears little semblence to anything that could or will occur, but, I like it just the same.

Many of the Founding Fathers warned future generations to be leary of foreign entanglements. It was a different country then, a new country, and a very different world. Still, I believe there is wisdom in their words.

America emerged on the world scene as a real power after WWI and became top dog after WWII. The economic engine of this relatively new nation outpowered any country in the world. It still does. Part of gaining economic power is the process whereby we spend said power. IMO far too much of our wealth has gone to foreign entanglements post WWII. And, we continue to direct our wealth in manpower and monies to causes and situations that have little hope of returning any dividends. (I am emphatically not speaking of Iraq or Afghanistan, rather the foreign aid that has been given in far greater measure than these countries to countries that often are Stone Age or incapable of advancement.) The sum total of our foreign aid since WWII far exceeds the cost of either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Vast quantities of natural resources lie in the N and S Hemispheres, our neighbors. Had those sums of money been directed to the development of the Americas we would neither be reliant upon foreign oil, for example, nor would we be concerned about the rising EU or China. South America's resources are staggering and virtually untouched. Central and South America's need for economic viability is great and would benefit from our N American consumption in far greater degrees than the amounts we have given to develop or aid those neighbors.

An economically thriving Mexico wouldn't be the source of illegal aliens. In fact, given enough economic equality between the N American countries, a unified political entity would be possible among Canada, Mexico and the USofA. Our strength lies in our own hemispheres, North and South, far too long neglected and playing second cousins to countries that neither appreciate nor repay our generousities. In that regard I find our nation's lack of leadership in the Americas problematic and illogical.

The future economic challenges of China, the EU and a re-emergent totalitarian Russia and easily predictable. An Economic Monroe Doctrine is a possible and feasible alternative that assures our world leading status, the proper redirection of investment aid and the benefits of assuring our continuance as a leading nation of the world.

Back