I've decided to give live traps a try...

PrairieMuffin

Well fur season started and I thought i'd ask if I could use a live to trap and give it a try. With a yes, I grabbed one and off to the tree where I knew of at least 6 coons hanging around. I set this put a small hole and filled it with corn, went back this morning to see how I'd done.
Oh I was excited (just a little bit) the door was closed!!
100_6530.jpg

Wait a min there isn't anything in there!
confused.gif

100_6531.jpg

100_6532.jpg

What in the world??? Coonzilla!?!?! Well so much for china made live traps...it ripped the back open from the inside.
ohmy.gif

So I am borrowing another one and trying it again... let's hope tomorrow it's still together.
lol.gif

My friend made his own, used 1/4" steel rod for frame, heavy rectangle wire for cage. he had trouble with them ripping the light wire also. Made his own door, one door per trap, used a heavy lock washer for the door lock, when it dropped, the washer on each side kept it from opening up.

Last edited:
I've seen that before a couple times. Adding more gripper rings to the back should eliminate that problem. Have had the charge the front door and bend it so badly they 'almost' got out. You can bet that over time the coons will wreck every bit of the interior of that trap.

The one that got away? May never step inside another box trap, or, turn it on its side, walk in, take the food, and back out, without getting caught. Good idea to drive a piece of rebar top to bottom on the back to prevent this from happening.

Good luck, these traps do catch a lot of coons for our small predator trappers.

Last edited:
Happened to me also, then I bought a Tru Catch, USA made in S. Dakota and no problems, I've caught a couple of big boys in it.

He rebuilt it last night, I set it this morning in the same spot it was in. I don't expect the coon to come back, just thought I'd see what happens.
Yesterday I set out a heavier large one(USA) at a different location, but no luck.
He has a sortment of different ones but I don't know any details about them.

Dog, I leveled the ground.. dug a small hole towards the back middle of where the trap will set, filled it with corn, set the trap over it and used rebar staked the back left side and then staked the right side a few squares up from the pan. Do I need to stake it different or use a stake or 2 more?
Any advice is welcome guys, I really am no box trapper.

Ks, I may have to if these guys keep tearing them up. LOL

when you get tired of fidling around with those little toy traps give john schroeder in nebraska a call and get some real traps..
why don't you just have your hubby make you some.. he caught a cat in one last year

lmao
greensburgcat2.jpg

That is one of his.. so is the better one I set. That big one your talking about is heavy! He has it set. He is gone 14 hrs a day, no time to build me one. But there is a guy in Cheyenne, Ok that builds them he was talking about getting a few from him. But for the most part I will use my leg holds I just wanted to try.

MASON JAR, PM NOW that I opened my eyes? I DO see the rebar retainers. Geee whiiizzz already. PM two is more than enough. There is an outfit(don't remember their name) east side of the bighorns that makes an excellent box trap, solid on 5 sides, trap door made of welded bars and heavy screen covering. We use those now. Never had one of them torn up inside, nor the door, although, early on, the coons would rip the rivets out of the back plate and then escape. That issue has been resolved by the manufacturer.. They are expensive!! In excess of $70.00 each. Our small predator trapper has used the cat/coyote sized(different make) for coons and has caught as many as 7 at one time. Seems they all want to get to the food/bait all at once. just more of my 2cts worth. SIDE NOTE: Our small predator trappers have taken over 5,000 coons in the last 4 years using thes live traps. (YES, 5,000!!!)

Last edited:
That trap the cat is in is a lot like the heavy duty one a guy in town makes. I traded some conibears for one, sweetcorn time is when I need it.

PM, I have a Predator board meeting on Thursday evening. I'll get the particulars for you then. Size and price.
They LOOK very close, a little larger, than the hav-a-harts in size. The $100.00 bucks is ringing a bell. Again, I'll check them. we bought 100 of them for our district.

Back