Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 164 of 344 < 1 2 ... 162 163 164 165 166 ... 343 344 >
Topic Options
#2545675 - 09/18/13 08:17 PM Re: Baiting [Re: DoubleUp]
vicfox Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Australia
Jim that is wonderful news and obviously a big relief being a true blessing given the early expectations.

Although I have a great interest in this thread and follow it I must apologize that I didn't know of your wife's challenges but am very pleased that you have been able to report that things are heading in the right direction.

I hope that my prayers for her speedy recovery will make up for those I missed before her surgery.
Best of good health to you both.

#2545691 - 09/18/13 08:56 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Loc: USA

The Lord is good all the time. All praise be to Him for seeing your wife through this ordeal.

Hope you are back now, Jim, though I'm sure you will be busy looking after your wife for a while.

#2545696 - 09/18/13 09:00 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oregon
Thanks guys for all the support. My wife says I make a good house wife. I am even learning to cook LOL.

My father always told me A man is only as good as his word and I truly believe that.

#2545701 - 09/18/13 09:08 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Hey Jim, if you can cook then my hat's off to you. I can't even boil water without scorching the pot.

#2545743 - 09/18/13 10:11 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Wallbass45 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim
Thanks guys for all the support. My wife says I make a good house wife. I am even learning to cook LOL.

WOW!! Look out!! lol

“There’s a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot.” JFK 7 days before his assassination

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”

#2546739 - 09/21/13 10:06 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
cozwurth Offline

Loc: SE Virginia
Jim,
That's great news about your wife. Glad to hear that she's doing better than expected. Sometimes it's good to keep the docs guessing, yes?

Nothing unusual happening around here. Nightly visits from fox, racoon, possum, and even a doe. Not all at the same time, or even on the same night, but they've all been captured on the camera. The yote has only been seen once more. The small spotlight doesn't seem to be bothering them, so I went out last night to do a little waiting. The wind started swirling from all around, so I'm sure they busted me. The only thing I saw was our cat. When I checked the card today, that fox was out there about 10 minutes after I went inside. Figures...

6mm, I may have an issue with my shooting lane. I made some progress today pulling and hacking on sticker vines and even a few wild grape vines. Isabel knocked down quite a few trees in my woods, and one of the really big root balls is directly behind the shed. I'm not sure of the range yet, but it is less than 50 yards, and I will not be able to see past it. It will make a good back-stop, though, if it is far enough away. I'll try to get a few pics posted tomorrow.

#2546753 - 09/21/13 10:31 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Well, 50 yards will work if need be. I sure would hate to have to move that tree root. You can make 50 yards work, but probably would be better to have it a bit further out. As you know, my site is only 60 yards from the cabin.

#2546821 - 09/22/13 01:49 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

Thanks cozwurth, she is getting stronger every day.

I have been baiting again, Just putting out some table scraps and cat food. I have had about the same thing at my site. Fox, coon and deer. I believe it is to warm yet to expect very much. The critters are not very hungry yet.

I am trying a dusk till dawn light and it seems to be working pretty good thanks to doubleup. That was a good idea. We keep learning.

Jim

My father always told me A man is only as good as his word and I truly believe that.

#2546822 - 09/22/13 01:56 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

I am going to try to get a mountain lion this year. There are a few around here. Never had one to come to my bait so I am going to try calling one. I just ordered some Hornedy match 223 75gr BTHP. Does anyone think that would be enough for a good lion kill?

Jim

Edited by Cougar Jim (09/22/13 01:56 AM)

#2546848 - 09/22/13 08:36 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Jim, I've shot some of the 75 bthp's at targets and they were plenty accurate, but never shot them on game. I think I might want to try them on something else before I attempted a cougar with them. All will depend on how well they expand and whether you have sufficient velocity for them to do more than pencil through. I don't know if you can find them, but a 65gr. Sierra Game King might give more consistent expansion. I know quite a few people have killed deer with them.

Sure glad your wife is continuing to improve, and best wishes on the cougar.

#2547147 - 09/22/13 08:21 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
cozwurth Offline

Loc: SE Virginia
Jim,
I have a small spotlight shining towards the bait at my place, too, after reading some of Doubleup's posts. Not a large light, but enough to show a little contrast and make the eyes glow.

Anyway, I took a couple of pics of the shooting lane.

This is a shot of the growth at the woodline.

This is inside the woodline, looking towards the downed tree.

This shot is from the downed tree looking towards the shed.

The vines look thinner from inside looking towards the light... Once I get an opening cut into the vines I can use the range finder to see how far into the woods I am. I may be able to rotate the lane a little to the right of the downed tree to get a little more distance, but that root ball will create a rather large blind spot.

#2547169 - 09/22/13 09:01 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Any way of getting a tractor or backhoe in there and moving that tree root? Looks like you've got a lot of cutting and trimming to do, but hopefully the effort will pay off.

The female coyote was back at my site last night, and also about three or four nights ago. She isn't coming every night, which makes it difficult to plan a hunt. It's luck of the draw more or less.

Here's a video clip of a few nights ago, and with a new Wildgame Innovations Crush 3, Wally World special.

#2547174 - 09/22/13 09:08 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Cougar Jim Offline
Seasoned Member

Thanks doubleup, I only bought one box just to try. If they don't expand enough I won't use them on a cougar.

Cozwurth, your shooting lane looks very good. I wish mine had that much cover for the critters and I would see a lot more animals.

Jim

#2547181 - 09/22/13 09:17 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
weekender Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: NC
great news about your wife Jim, prayer is a powerful thing. Good luck to all this fall.

#2547243 - 09/22/13 11:41 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Jim, those 75's might be fine, but I still would want to try something like a coyote before attempting a cougar shot. What are you shooting them out of? I've shot them in an AR and a bolt action and they were really accurate in both. In fact, I still have about 500 of them just in case I need something heavy with a little more penetration for "emergency work". The Barnes TSX bullets have a real good reputation as stoppers on game if you have enough twist to shoot them.

Page 164 of 344 < 1 2 ... 162 163 164 165 166 ... 343 344 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.