6th Annual Coyote Craze Classic-RESULTS-PICS!!!!

CoyoteCraze

While everyone was down in the southwest this weekend at the big tournament, we had our own little calling contest up here in western Nebraska!! Teams hunted all day (daylight hrs) on Sat. and a 1/2 day on Sun. (had to be checked-in by 2 p.m).

This hunt is unique in the fact that each team draws a rep Friday night during the festivities. This rep becomes the neutral 3rd party to ensure everything is legit but also becomes the 3rd member of the team. This year 15 reps killed coyotes for their teams!! Also, teams are allowed a 3rd member (or 4th counting the rep) if that team member is 14 years old or younger.

All in all, 29 teams from NE, CO, KS, and WY were represented. Reps came from all across NE, SD, CO, WY & MO. The weather was about ideal as you can get for this time of year. In about a 200 mile radius, most teams had 5-15 mph winds all weekend, temps in the low 30's, and even a dusting of snow Sat. night! The unusual SE and E winds threw a curve into things but the teams responded.

Overall, 120 coyotes were checked in by 24 of the 29 teams! Making over a 4 coyote/team average!! Of the 120 coyotes, 30 had mange. Heavy coyote of the contest was 40lbs, 8 oz and the small dog was 17lbs, 1 oz. The winning team had an amazing 32lb average with their 9 coyotes!!! All ties were broken by the total weight of your teams' coyotes.

Congrats to all the teams for making this year's hunt a great success!! Also, thank you to all the great sponsors that participate and donate!

Results
1st place-9 coyotes-D. Patterson (Ogden, KS) & N. Bosley (Loveland, CO) & Rep--Nick Hartmann (Lincoln, NE)

2nd place-9 coyotes-T. Minor & C. Jeary (Hyannis, NE) & Rep--Austin Patzer (Saratoge, WY)

3rd place-8 coyotes-M.Adkins (Morrill, NE) & R. Brown (Scottsbluff, NE) & Rep--Brandon Mossberg (Kimball, NE)

4th place-8 coyotes-C. McBride & son Gauge (Big Springs, NE) & D. Markussen (Ogallala, NE) & Rep-Bob Nemnich (Gering, NE)

5th place-8 coyotes-J. Cooper & L. Cooper (Oshkosh, NE) & Rep. Shawn Whipple (Kearney, NE)

6th place-8 coyotes-M.Brown (Wellington, CO) & J. Bopp (Loveland, CO) & Rep--Ken Jones (Colorado Springs, CO)

7th place-7 coyotes-A. Leisy (Bridgeport, NE) & G. Doremus (Bayard, NE) & Rep--Chris Culek (Gering, NE)

8th place-7 coyotes-T. Sheets & S. Gorwill (Hyannis, NE) & Rep--Randy Shaw (Missouri)

9th place-7 coyotes-C. Greckel and 2 sons Nathan & Blake (Scottsbluff, NE) & Rep--Aaron Powell (Scottsbluff, NE)

10th place-6 coyotes-D. McCormick (Mitchell, NE) & H. Cross (Lyman, NE) & Rep--Nick Orchowski (Denver, CO)

2010classic094.jpg

2010classic095.jpg

The winning team and their haul of coyotes!!!

2010classic093.jpg

The lucky recipients of new DPMS AR's!!!!

2010classic092.jpg

Coyote mounts for taking the 2nd biggest coyote of the contest. Biggest received matching .243's.

2010classic086.jpg

The goodie table!!

2010classic091.jpg

2010classic084.jpg

2010classic065.jpg

2010classic077.jpg

2010classic070.jpg

That looks like alot of fun. And nebraska isn't that faraway. But how does a guy get ground lined up to hunt something like that?

Thanks Geoff! It was a blast! I finally shot more than 3! The skiff of snow we had was gone fairly early in the day and I actually didn't have any snow where I hunted that day at all.

Last edited:
Geoff, thanks for putting on another great contest again this year. It was a blast as always. By far the most competitive (for the size) and cheat free contest I have ever been in. Got to meet some new people and see some old friends.

I would also like to thank you for getting the "wounded warrior" involved in the hunt as a Rep(refree). The 30 second standing ovation the Vet recieved from the conference room full of people gave me goosebumps and made me proud to be an American! Good Job. Also great job getting the youth involved in multiple different aspects during the weekend.

Looking forward to next year.

Last edited:
Mike, great job this year!! I knew things would come together 1 of these years for ya!!

Thanks Dustin and way to stack them up this weekend!! You are right, the level of competition in this contest is as good as any other in the country. Too bad that it will never get as big as some of the others just due to the logistics with the reps but I guess maybe that's not a bad thing!! Either way, I have an awesome time putting this contest together.

Sigpros-you go about getting ground lined up for this contest just like you would any other contest-scouting, calling, driving, etc.!!!

Great job Geoff ! Looks like even some of the kidds had a blast. I love the pic of the coyotes on the trailer. Reminds me of some of our contest hear in Texas except those have nice fur lol... Glad to see lots of young guys entered its always great to see the sport growing. God bless Seth

That looked like a lot of fun. I was at the Worlds and had a blast there too.

Lots of happy folks in the pics. Do you guys hold it the same weekend every year?

I just was wondering if you entered the hunt do you have to find your own ground to hunt too? Or do you guys have the ground lined up for the hunt? I was thinking about trying to make it to one sometime. But I guess not

Back