Ibex, how big is big?

Tactical .20

I shot a nice Ibex this week in WY. It has 31" long horns, 9" around the bases, and 39" from tip to tip of the horns. Is this about as big as they come, or close to it?
I took 2 cell phone pictures, it was -5 degrees, so I left camera in the truck. I can post the pictures after I figure out how to put them from phone on the photobucket, any info would be great, on how to do that.
I plan to shoulder mount it, it had a big neck beard. It will be bare skulled, and have the horns slipped by Bear Bones European Mounts of Gillette,WY. He does great work, my Mule deer is done, looks great mounted on a broadhead plaque. I will post those pictures soon.
I shot it from 270 yds, with a IMI .223 55gr soft point bullet. broke the shoulder, took out the heart, went 15-20 yds at most, then laid down, dead.

Last edited:
They got loose about 40 yrs ago. 2 ranches control the hunts. Some people have tresspassed to get into the one place claiming they used public land to hunt on. The Ibex are usually more than a mile from the public land on private land. They are risking a 700$ fine to sneak in there.

I have them on my email, how do I file and transfer without loosing them, I lost the ones I tried before, can't find them anywhere on my computer.

1123101243aIbex.jpg

Ah, I finally got it to work!

Last edited:
I guess 40" and up here in NM would be great. I did a little checking and since 2004 there has been six 50" taken.

Is this a private hunt completely or do you need a license from the state for it? How much does it cost for an ibex hunt? Is it ok to hunt private game with a .223? I've never heard of Ibex in WY so I am curious.

Yes it is on private land. They have roamed free there 40yrs or so. They charge up to 1000$ for a hunt. Killed him pretty fast, broke the shoulder, took out the heart, at 270yds. It was a soft point IMI .223 in 55gr. He didn't go more than 15-20yds and then layed over dead.

I don't doubt the cartridge can knock em down, I was referring to the legality of the round. I assume it is OK because it is not a state managed animal, but the .223 is not big game legal in WY.

+1 GH. .23 and larger center fire for big game. Very possibly the Ibex is not a recognized game animal in Wyoming. Careful there TAC............................

no it is not a game animal in WY. I think I already stated that. I am 53 yrs old, have hunted and trapped in enough states to well know enough to study the laws before purchasing a license and before hunting or trapping. I also called a game warden before buying my first fur license in WY to double check I read the rules right about bobcat trapping, and ect.

Last edited:
Tactical, I sent you a PM for some info. Might be cool to do one of these hunts next year. Send me a PM please.

I was hoping my friend that just had his back fused could get one, before they sell another hunt. I can check on it when I call the guy, been busy.

Back