rem 1100 barrel question...

Smith

I got a rem 1100 with a fixed choke barrel. I want changable chokes. I found some places that have them but I also seen where you can get a 3 " chambered barrel for a 1100. My question is will it work for my shotgun? I thought 1100 was for 2 3/4 and 1187 was for 3".

Lucas

There are 1100's that were magnum receivers capable of shooting 3" shells. In order to use a 3" barrel on your gun you have to have the mag receiver. I had one at one time.

I guess it would have to say 1100 mag on it? I will look in the morning but I think it just says 1100, I think the barrel is the original barrel anyway.

Thanks guys!!
~Lucas

My 1100 didn't say mag on it if I recall, it came with 2 barrels one 2 3/4" and a 3" chambered barrel. The 3" barrel would not reliably eject 2 3/4" shells as it only had one gas port. The 2 3/4" barrel had two gas ports. That is why the 11-87 came to be. The gas system was redesigned to reliably eject mixed sized shells.

I can tell you that the serial number of every Remington 870 that is a Magnum (capable of handling 3" shells)ends in an "M" Check to see if the serial number of your 1100 ends in an "M" Not sure but if it does I am guessing it is a Magnum.....

An 1100 Magnum will say MAGNUM on the right hand of the receiver. You can fit a 3" barrel on a 2 3/4" gun but I would NOT shoot 3" shells in a gun that is not designate MAGNUM regardless of what the barrel will take.

A capable gunsmith can do a mod on it to make it shoot 3" if you have a 3" barrel. Requires modifying something in the receiver. Not being a shotgun person, I don't know what he does. My smith does it on occasion for skeet shooters at our club.

Thanks guys, mine has no M in the serial # or does it say magnum. I will just buy a 2 3/4 barrel with interchangable chokes and use my pump for the heavy duty jobs.

Thanks once again!!!

~Lucas

Back