Leupold 2.5X8 vs. the field

HOGGHEAD

I am in the market for an ultralight scope. I am putting together a carbine length Contender in 45 Colt. To be use strictly in the woods. Rifle be used to hunt Whitetail and black bear.

Size and weight are the main issue for this little rifle.

Leupold makes some even lighter scopes. I have also looked at the straight 2.5X power scope. And the 2X7. They are both lighter than the VX-3 in 2.5X8. But I think I want the little better quality of the VX-3 glass.

What do you guys think?? Any other scopes you guys like that compete with these light weight scopes I am talking about?? Which one??

Remember I want a light scope. If it weights more than 15 or 16 ozs. then it is too heay for what I want.

Hard to believe but Leupold shows their 2.5X scope as weighing 6.2 ozs.-man that is light. Tom.

Last edited:
That VX-III 2.5X-8X should be perfect for what you want to use it for. I have 2 and really like them for their weight, length, and eye relief. Have a VX-II 2x-7x and if it gets sold it will be replaced with another 2.5x-8x. Now if Zeiss would make their Conquest line a little lighter and more compact, I think they'd really have something. I own 2 Conquests and love the glass, just wish they were built a little differently.

Leupold VX3 1.5x5 is also very nice and a little bit lighter than the 2.5x8. I have both and never feel underpowered in the woods with the 1.5x5. It is very compact and light.

Vx3 1.5-5x20 is what I use and I love it. Its used on alot of dangerous game rifles. Its small, its light, it will allow you to use both eyes open as the bear is chargeing in to rip your face off you will be able to see enough to place the shot. I can hit coyote size game to 300 yards. I'd go a more power such as the 1.75-6. I think the 2.5-8 is overkill. I rarely even turn the scope past 1.5x except at the range.

+1

1x4x20 and 1.5x6x40 on most of my bigame and predator hunting rifles. Have one 2.5x10 but it's on a rifle that I only use out in the grasslands.

AWS

I also have the VXIII 2.5x8 and love it, it's on a A Bolt 30-06 syn stock, weighs in around 7lbs. I also have the VXIII 1.5x5 on a Remington 7600 carbine 30-06, syn stock and that is an awesome combo. The whole rig weighs just over 6 lbs, sling and all. Shorter scopes like the VXII 1.5x5 or the VXII 1x4 make the weapon much easier to carry in my opinion and with the leupold quality/clarity the 20mm objective isn't a big deal in low light, they weigh less and I would think would be plenty powerful enough for a .45 for deer or bear.

i've got a few light-ish scopes and of all the ones i have i think the 2.5-8 leupold is my favorite (was hunting it today, in fact). that said, on a 45 colt carbine, i would steer you towards a red dot type of optic - unless there's some reason you can't get along w/ those...? i have a red dot on a handcannon and really like that - precise enough for clean kills out to 200 yards. if i had tried the red dot first i would have never scoped my 480... oh well...

i think you will find the most happiness w/ a small fixed-x scope or red dot (i include eotech in the red dot category) over the 2.5-8.

For some reason some of you guys seem to think the 45 Colt is a limited cartridge?? I am not sure why you think this way.

Why would a variable be good for a 30-06 in the woods, but not a 45 Colt?? I do not understand that train of thought??

The 45 Colt is every bit as effective or more reffective than any other cartridge in a woods setting. Where can you shoot over 100 yards in the woods??

I agree that the 8X is not necessary. I definetly agree with that point.

The real question is scope quality, or low light performance from a lightweight scope?? The 45 Colt is more than adequate as a cartridge. Tom.

I too have the leupold 2.5 X 8 VX3 and I also love it. I have it on a .223 calling rifle. I think it would make a great setup for you.

I share the love of the 45 Colt, Tom
thumbup.gif

If you are talking 100yds or less, I'd go with a VX3 1.5-5x20. I have 2 of them and they are one of the best scopes Leupold makes, IMO.

I also have owned 2 2.5-8x36. Still have one on a pre-'64 model 70. Like them also, but the FOV is not as great, they are a tad heavier, and for 100yds>less anything over 5X will never get used anyway. JMO.......

Forgot to add: consider a heavy duplex model. Good in dark woods where the heavier duplex covering up a bit more of the target is not a concern......

I agree with 2muchgun, my VX3 1.5x5 has the heavy duplex crosshairs. I prefer them over the standard duplex. I am very pleased with the low light performance of my 1.5x5, it performs just as well in low light as my VX3 2.5x8. I was expecting it to not perform as well since it has a 20mm objective lens, but that is not the case, it is right there with the rest of my Leupolds. I had a VX3 3.5x10 Illuminated with a 30mm tube and 50mm objective and amazingly enough the 1.5x5 holds it's own against it in low light.

I also have a Contender carbine, I used a Weaver aluminum base and some Weaver Quad lock alloy rings to keep the extra weight to a minimum. With the alloy mounts and the 1.5x5 on top of it you can hardly tell there is a scope on it, it handles really well.

I have always been a fan of how the 1.5-5x20 seems to gather the same amount of light as scopes with bigger objective lenses myself. FOV is HUGE, weight is minimal, and it has proven to handle the heaviest recoil without a hitch. One of Leupy's best offerings, for sure.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI have always been a fan of how the 1.5-5x20 seems to gather the same amount of light as scopes with bigger objective lenses myself. FOV is HUGE, weight is minimal, and it has proven to handle the heaviest recoil without a hitch. One of Leupy's best offerings, for sure.......
+1
I have some 1-4X20s and am very pleased with them. I suspect both the 1-4X20 and the 1.5-5X20 are both really about 1.25X4.5.

Jack

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADFor some reason some of you guys seem to think the 45 Colt is a limited cartridge??

Every cartridge has its limitations.

Magnification range is what is called into question.

I looked at the Leupold site again. It seems Leupold makes a 1.5X5 and a 1.75X6. The 1.75X6 has a larger OL than the 1.5X5. However I think I will go with you guys and buy the 1.5X5. If you guys think the scope gathers as much light as the larger objective lens. It will really make a light rig.

I found a barrel I wanted this evening on the net. It is 17 inches long and it is ported. It is a 45-70 and not a 45 Colt. But I can load the 45-70 with a TrapDoor Load. I already have all the components for the 45-70 so it is not a big deal. This is going to make one lightweight little hard killing rig. I bought the barrel with the TC Muzzle Tamer for $175 to my door. I could not pass up that deal.

I saw the picture of a fellow today who had a 1.5X5 and he sent it to Leupold and had a Mark IV turret mounted on it. A CDS dial might just be the ticket!!

Now I need to find just the right stock.

Anybody have a set of synthetic stocks for a Contender Carbine they want to part with?? Tom.

Make no istake. The VX3 1.5-5x20 is a great scope. It sits atop heavy recoiling dangerous game rifles all over the world. You'll be happy with it......

Hoghead, I really don't think that you will find a few ounces makes any difference one way or another.

I have a TC Carbine with a 30/30 barrel on it with a 3x9 leupold on it, feels like a tinker toy, kills everything real dead on one shot.

Since you are also wanting an ultra light, get rid of the wood stock and get the plastic version.

The higher power becomes important as you try and thread a shot inbetween trees or when you only can see a head with part of the neck sticking out. Most folks forget, you can always turn a higher powered scope down, but you can't turn a low powered scope up.

You are the only one that knows your exact hunting situation, you will not notice any weight differences in any of those scopes mentioned, you will notice a difference between a plastic stock and a wood stock.

Good luck!

Back