Coyote Hunting in Idaho

GreatNorthWest

Hi, I am a college student at BSU and was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to call coyotes around Boise? I have been out towards lucky peak with no luck, does anyone know about towards Kuna? Thanks

There's coyotes in both of those places. I don't know when you went, but the coyotes that I've seen in the last couple weeks are really skiddish. I'm sure it has to do with deer season just ending and in some of those places it's not over. I usually tend to go a little further away as most of those close places get called quite a bit. I'm headed an hour and a half northwest of Boise on Thursday. Also, if you have free ranging cattle there are coyotes close by.

I was on Federal just off the Outlet Mall freeway exit last Wednesday. The kids said "is that a coyote?" and sure enough there he was waltzing around in some grass. Nice looking orange tinged coat. Of course a person cannot hunt there, but it was fun for the kids to see.

brand new to the site and also a BSU student/military guy. just starting in on the coyote hunting and any idaho advice is much appreciated. i would expect the idaho foothills to be a great area for coyotes. seem to see a bunch of yotes up there in the spring time. also blacks creek sounds like it would be an awesome area. your thoughts on the subject?

If you can find some sagebrush on any public land you can potentially call coyotes there. Like the rest of us you just have to take a drive, find a spot you can hide your vehicle from view, exit vehicle as quietly as possible(don't slam doors), get a reasonable distance away from vehicle, and start doing the dying rabbit blues.

If the first spot doesn't produce then pack up and move a reasonable distance and setup again following the same routine again. Don't expect a coyote at every stand it just doesn't happen! Perseverance and patience is the name of the game. Good luck and remember sitting out there on stand beats sitting at work or school or on the couch watching the tube.

very true boom. i have started purchasing stuff to start up. i think i might be able to wiggle my way in with some die hard yote hunters here soon and hope they can help me get things straightened out. whats your stand ratio for success? 1 dead yote per 3 stands? (im sure it varies magnificently but whats an average?) just trying to know what to expect.

ID-Y-G

Other than your rifle about all you need is a set of shooting sticks, butt pad, and a call or calls (mouth or electronic). I wear sage type cammies. My shooting sticks I made using 3/8" electric fence rods and castration rubbers from D&B Supply. They work as well as any commercial brands out there. I have been doing this since 85 when I moved here and even now couldn't give you an accurate ratio. Some days it can be 1 for 1 (not very often), other times it might be 1 for every 6 to 7 stands. I always go to a stand expecting to suck at least one in and if I don't no big deal there is always the chance the next stand will be a double. If your new to this just remember Perseverance and Patience is the name of the game. Don't wait for an invite from others just go out and call!!! Feel free to send me a PM if you want.

i have all the aforementioned items so i suppose all that there is left to do is go out. i might get crazy and try it out tomorrow but a high of 19 degrees doesnt sound awesome. but i will post how i did if i do.

ok so i went out today and had my first three stands with no coyotes. but i think my call froze up because after a little while it started sounding more like a whazoo than a wounded rabbit. plus i was in a very populated area. but i did get to shoot at a coyote! i was glassing from where highway 21 and arrowrock road meet. there were about 75 elk, 5 antelope, and about 50 deer on a single hillside. i noticed deer crossing the road in front of me and about 10 seconds later a coyote followed! he ran up the embankment and was about 75 yards away. i considered not pulling the trigger so i wouldnt freak out the animals but i did it anyways. pulled the trigger on him but no kill. no excuses besides . . no excuses. open sights. theres an excuse. the animals didnt flinch. .. weird. but i had a fun day and saw tons of animals today!!

Looking for people to predator hunt with now that winter is here, I'm a novice so looking for a more seasoned caller. I've had no success getting dogs to close in past 300+/- yrds hunting blm land between Star and Emmett. I've thinking of heading out towards Prairie, rancher acquaintance of mine informs me there are dogs out there

I'd still be interested in going out hunting with you (success or not its always fun... well almost always)when and where will you going next?

im going to bsu right now so that means finals week. but then after the 16th i am open. i usually go whenever the mood strikes and its not really something i plan. but over the break i will set aside a day or two and see if it works out with your schedule. where are you located?

In the foothills above Middleton. Work is pretty flexible right now so with a couple days notice I can usually head out during the week.

Just moved to meridian from Washington looks like alot better huntin here i already got my deer up by emmet not to much coyote sign, but saw 4 yotes the last time by mtn home does any one know of some good public land out around boise??

Back