What grain bullet for a .243?

pm4user

I just bought a .243 and was wondering what everyone else shot out of theirs. I'm thinking the 58 grain Superformance is the way to go, but I'd like to see what everyone else shoots that doesn't handload. Thanks for the replies.

Depends what you want critters you want to shoot and what your twist is.

Most factory twists are 1:10 so if you want to shoot big game, you're probably only going to get nice groups out of 85-90gr bullets. MAYBE 100gr if you get lucky. If you got a varmint/predator dedicated rifle, you might only have a 1:12 or 1:14 in which case you're only going to be shooting well with the real light ones.

If you wanna just shot varments/predators you've got quite a few more options.
I don't shoot light bullets, especially in factory loads so I can't comment or speculate on that matter.

70 grs. SP for coyotes....for deer 90 grs. and up to 100.grs. SP.

Everthing else falls into the "yes it can do the job, but there better weights in bullets out there."

Originally Posted By: cbass16Depends what you want critters you want to shoot and what your twist is.

Most factory twists are 1:10 so if you want to shoot big game, you're probably only going to get nice groups out of 85-90gr bullets. MAYBE 100gr if you get lucky. If you got a varmint/predator dedicated rifle, you might only have a 1:12 or 1:14 in which case you're only going to be shooting well with the real light ones.

If you wanna just shot varments/predators you've got quite a few more options.
I don't shoot light bullets, especially in factory loads so I can't comment or speculate on that matter.

I thought I saw a video of you waxing a buck with a 75 grain V max at like 400 yards....

Last edited:
"MAYBE 100gr if you get lucky"?
confused.gif

Shouldn't be too much "luck" involved. I've NEVER seen a 6mm tube twisted 1-10 that wouldn't handle 100gr bullets.......

Originally Posted By: MPFDI thought I saw a video of you waxing a buck with a 75 grain V max at like 400 yards....

haha good point. I guess I'd call that mid-range myself, but you're right.

My dad has a .243 Model 70 and a 6mm and neither one shot "good" with 100gr factory loads. (2" is a good day) but both will shoot sub 1 with 80's

I was once told "just because they don't keyhole doesn't mean they are twisting properly."

Maybe they should have told you, "Just because it's not shooting well, doesn't mean it is the wrong twist".

1-10s handle 100s just fine. That ain't a guess........

I shoot 75 gr. V-Max in mine and get good accuracy.

Recently I purchased a box of 58 gr. V-Max, worked up a load and hope to be able to try it out this winter on predators. It's not quite as accurate at the 75 grainers, but still shoots less than 1" groups.

For deer-sized game, stay with a heavier bullet, like a 100 gr., or maybe try the lighter 85 gr. Barnes TSX. The TSX is one heck of a good performing bullet in other calibers I have shot, but is a bit on the expensive side.

To sum up what others have said, it just depends on your intended target as to which bullet you choose.

For me at least, I put a tactical base on a Remington model 7, and use Warne Quick Detach rings. That way I can switch between scopes sighted in for different bullets for basically any game I want to hunt, making it versatile.

I'll be shooting just coyotes with it, for cats I'll carry the .204 all the time. Its a Savage Model 10. I sighted it in with 80 grain bullets and it shot well, but I don't like putting a baseball sized holes in em. Thanks for the replies.

I bought a M700 in 1992....it shoots 100gr factory loads under a dime, and 75 gr HP's under a quarter. I have always been partial to Hornady factory ammo, but started reloading some time ago....can't really comment on the recent factory offerings. I will say this though, if pelt damage is a deciding factor, the 75 gr HP is a poor choice. I've taken several grounhogs with this round, between 75 and 250 yards, and they don't look so nice after that bullet gets done with em'.

just watch Les Johnson, if the 58gr Vmax is good enough for him it would be good enough for me if i had a 243. i don't know if it's trick photography or not but he sure smokes em with that little pill.
don

Donlynch,

How does the 58 gr. perform on bobcats? Is it too much, too destructive? I imagine it will be ok for coyotes, but I don't have experience with this bullet yet, so looking for advice.

Thanks.

David

just got back from the range today...tried 2 factory loads out of my new ruger m77...winchester 80 grain soft points...and federal 95 gr ballistic tips were awesome!!...the point of impact were almost exact and the groups were very tight..less than an inch out of a brand new rifle..i was very impressed

Originally Posted By: 6mm06I shoot 75 gr. V-Max in mine and get good accuracy.

Recently I purchased a box of 58 gr. V-Max, worked up a load and hope to be able to try it out this winter on predators. It's not quite as accurate at the 75 grainers, but still shoots less than 1" groups.

For deer-sized game, stay with a heavier bullet, like a 100 gr., or maybe try the lighter 85 gr. Barnes TSX. The TSX is one heck of a good performing bullet in other calibers I have shot, but is a bit on the expensive side.

To sum up what others have said, it just depends on your intended target as to which bullet you choose.

For me at least, I put a tactical base on a Remington model 7, and use Warne Quick Detach rings. That way I can switch between scopes sighted in for different bullets for basically any game I want to hunt, making it versatile.
How well have these quick detach rings worked for you? I have thought of doing this, but figured I would have to reconfirm zero before I hunt the next time. Do these go exactly back to zero for you?

I have a remington 700 adl that shoots around .75 moa 5 shot groups with a handloaded 58 gr vmax... and with factory winchester 80 gr sp will shoot around the same. I just know the faster I pushed the bullet... the smaller my groups got.

Last edited:
I have a friend who guides for sheep in the Brooks Range. He uses a Winchester Model 88 in .243 with 85 grains TXS's. Killed at least 6 sheep and a grizzly with it. The recovered bullets look small, but they sure work. That would be my bullet.

dogmessiah,

I like the Warne Quick Detach rings. I have them on three different rifles right now, and my son has a set on his CZ .375 H&H. A word of caution about using the Warne rings - they grip tight, so you have to be careful when tightening the screws. Too much can result in a crushed scope tube. My son's .375 H&H was having problems with scope slippage in the CZ rings, so he put the Warne Quick Detach on it and hasn't had a problem since.

My go-to predator hunting rifle is a 6x45 Dtech AR, and I use the ultra high Quick Dtach rings on it. I have removed the scope several times and then replaced it. After checking zero again and again after several removals, I haven't had to re-adjust at all. It holds zero really well. I always like to confirm zero, but so far I haven't had a problem with it. I'm confident enough now that if I do remove the scope and then replace it, I wouldn't hesitate to go hunting without checking it if I didn't have time to check zero again.

The Warne rings are solid, heavy and well-made. I think you will like them if you need to switch scopes out for different loads.

This is the Remington Model 7 I mentioned earlier, .243 and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9. The tactical base is an EGW.

100_1753.jpg

100_1754.jpg

Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA, .338 Win. Mag, Warne Quick Detach rings, Leupold 2.5x8

338VanguardJPG.jpg

Warne Quick Detach Ultra-High on a Detech AR, 6x45, Mueller 3x10 Sport Dot scope

MuellerWarneRings2.jpg

Ak4wd,

I'm glad to hear the report about the 85 gr. TSX. That's quite a performance to tackle a grizzly with such a small bullet. My experience has been limited to a .338 Win Mag and a .300 Rem Ultra Mag. They are real winners in those calibers.

What suprised the heck out of me is the accuracy of the TSX. I uesd the old X bullets years ago and never got decent accuracy with them. They penetrated well but just wouldn't group worth a hoot. The same is said for any Partition bullet I have ever fired in a variety of calibers, I just couldn't get the desired accuracy I was looking for. The TSX has changed that.

Back