Remington Under Fire Model 700

Tka250

Anyone watch this on CNBC last night? I watched about half, plan on watching the rest tonight. Its about the model 700 series how the saftey and trigger mechanism can potentially fail so the gun fires when the saftey is switched off without the trigger being touched. They showed videos from police forces that show it happening. They even had internal documents from 1947 from the guy that designed it back in the forties that stated it was potentially dangerous. They also interviewed him, but that when i had to stop watching.

I would recommend watching it.

Its been discussed in detail on another thread several weeks ago. Only remy 700 with walker triggers are affected (older ones). The bs part is with proper gun handling there would be no injuries or deaths.

I have been using these triggers for years. Not a [beeep] thing wrong with them. The problem lies with the DIY not adjusting them correctly.

Any trigger design can be made unsafe in the hands of the clueless.....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI have been using these triggers for years. Not a [beeep] thing wrong with them. The problem lies with the DIY not adjusting them correctly.

Any trigger design can be made unsafe in the hands of the clueless.....

GD right!

Chupa

Old news.

Hey you guys quit saying M700s are ok.

I'm wating for the rush of CHEAP M700 going up for sale !

There JUNK! I SAY JUNK !

Rifles bought, paying $200. each hurry ,before it's to late.

whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOld news.

Hey you guys quit saying M700s are ok.

I'm wating for the rush of CHEAP M700 going up for sale !

There JUNK! I SAY JUNK !

Rifles bought, paying $200. each hurry ,before it's to late.

whistle.gif

i like the way you think!

I think Tim is trying to take unfair advantage of the situation. Those rifles are easily worth $201, and just to make things right I'll offer $202. That's right, MORE than they are worth.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyI think Tim is trying to take unfair advantage of the situation. Those rifles are easily worth $201, and just to make things right I'll offer $202. That's right, MORE than they are worth.

Hey this is my corner foo !
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I think it goes back to the old say "don't point the muzzle at anything that you don't want dead". A safety is a mechanical device and always has the chance at failing. I own 2 700's myself and love them. One has the trigger stock and other is adjusted down to 2lbs. Neither have ever had 1 problem.

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450I think it goes back to the old say "don't point the muzzle at anything that you don't want dead". A safety is a mechanical device and always has the chance at failing. I own 2 700's myself and love them. One has the trigger stock and other is adjusted down to 2lbs. Neither have ever had 1 problem.

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450I think it goes back to the old say "don't point the muzzle at anything that you don't want dead". A safety is a mechanical device and always has the chance at failing. I own 2 700's myself and love them. One has the trigger stock and other is adjusted down to 2lbs. Neither have ever had 1 problem.
It's not a "chance at failing" it is all will eventually fail.
Usually because of foreign contamination or misadjustment. Most of my ADs(you can't shoot millions of rounds without learning about ADs) have been from foreign objects, a fiber of wood off the stock, some fibers off a rag, a bit of plant debris blowing in the wind, anything in the trigger group can easily cause an AD.
Muzzle control is the only safety. The "safety" on any firearm is never to be relied upon.

Firearms would probably be safer if they had no mechanical safety.

Jack

I honestly cannot beleave this up roar of bs about the 700s. I have to friends in their 70s who have professionally target shot 700s since their unveiling and and even some old 600s. The 700 is the small block chevy of the rifle world and has an upstanding rep. that is being tarnished by media whores. I have been fortunate enough to shoot factory 700s, "accurized" versions and full blown bench guns and havnt experienced any failure with any of them. LONG LIVE THE 700!!!

I will add that I bought a Rem 700 ADL, brand new, about 6-7 years ago. I cycled a round from the mag to the chamber, the instant the bolt locked the rifle fired. I stood there shocked, thinking that I must have had my finger on the trigger or something, so I cycled another round, closed the bolt, and the rifle fired again. I called Rem, they aid send it back (AT MY EXPENSE!!!) and they would fix it. I did and they fixed it but me having to pay shipping on a brand new defective rifle left a bad taste in my mouth.
I had to return a TC due to a defect and they arranged for pickup at my door, no charge at all.

Originally Posted By: hickerx2And if the rifle isn't pointed at anything not intended to be shot......nothing is shot........

Very true but it does not excuse the fact that the rifle fired without pulling the trigger.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunWhen 700s fire by themselves, you can bet someone adjusted the trigger improperly.......

Does that mean that Remington adjusted the triggers improperly from the factory when a NIB rifle does this?

Never heard of such a thing happening. I suppose it is possible. The triggers are adjusted by hand and checked before leaving. Then they put that glue crap over them.

Peple need to have their fingers clear of the trigger when they take the safety off.....

Back