F-class accuracy

Originally Posted By: Nonnieselman
I use a 300Win Mag for Fclass. Its a Savage 110 action, Savage 112 barrel. In a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock with a Rifle Basix trigger, EGW 20MOA base, TPS rings, Millett LRS scope. I have $675 in the whole thing and it shoots 1.5" groups at 600yds with 210Gr Bergers.

All day, everyday?

I would buy a Rem 700 5R and put it in a more suitable F-class type stock, like this one........

001-3.jpg

http://www.snipercountry.com/inreviews/rem_m700_stainlessspecial5rmilspec.asp

I appreciate all the help, I've talked to quite a few people and got a lot of great advice.

Thank you all. Unfortunately I can't go with every gun, so hopefully some don't feel as if I disregarded their opinions and didn't pay attention.

I am going with the Savage 10FCP choate tactical, weaver 1 piece pic. base and burris sig. rings, all topped with a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5x30X50.

I love the way the stock feels, don't mind the weight at all, great reviews on accuracy, 26" barrel, DBM, just seemed to fit me. I got to handle the 700P, as well as the 10FCP with the HS precision, I prefer the feel and LOP of the choate, and as far as the remingtons go, well, I am hoping I don't regret going with its uglier more accurate brother...
tt2.gif

Thank you all, if you feel the base or rings will be a mistake, I haven't bought them just yet as the scope is still in the mail, so let me know, I've just read great things on the Signature rings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Originally Posted By: Nonnieselman
I use a 300Win Mag for Fclass. Its a Savage 110 action, Savage 112 barrel. In a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock with a Rifle Basix trigger, EGW 20MOA base, TPS rings, Millett LRS scope. I have $675 in the whole thing and it shoots 1.5" groups at 600yds with 210Gr Bergers.

All day, everyday?

Probably ment 1.5 moa if he does his part.
Honest mistake.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunSignature rings ain't F-class rings......

"Jeff Cochran won the 2005 F-Class Nationals using Signature Zee rings on his 6.5-284"

Off of 6mmbr.com

Buy 'em.

99.9% of the F-class/tactical type rifles I see do not wear them. But it sounds like you know more than I do. Maybe you should look up how many matches were won NOT using them.

Anyway, they'll go good with a Choate and a Bushnell methinks, as you don't see any of them either.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunBuy 'em.

It's a weak, outdated system, that 99.9% of the F-class/tactical type rifles I see do not wear. But it sounds like you know more than I do. Maybe you should look up how many matches were won NOT using them.

Anyway, they'll go good with a Choate and a Bushnell methinks, as you don't see any of them either.......

I didn't say anything, just pointed something out...

You got really defensive there though, really over nothing, the choate and bushnell aren't enough either... I am actually purchasing the gun today, it was just put on hold, it was just what I decided on, maybe I should re-think the 5R. Although I don't have the $1300+ for the leupy or nightforce in the power range I'd like.

Someday, should I go after world titles and actually see the f-class and silhouette matches as something other than just a chance to meet good people, then I can seriously look at a just target rifle. Single shot, completely custom build, with a matching Nightforce, until then I must make do competing for fun with a "subpar" setup.

I edited out the "weak system " part, because you said Signature rings, and not Zee rings. The windage adjustable rings are a weak, outdated system IMO. I don't care for the Zee rings either, with their little slotted head screws, but they are probably a bit stronger. Just don't fit the bill though, in my mind.....

It is a matter of personal preference. I don't like Savage rifles, Choate stocks, Bushnell scopes, or Burris Signature rings. That doesn't mean you can't. Just trying to help you out and steer you in the right direction, but when it comes down to it, you have to get what YOU like and can afford.

It's all good......

A guy can only do so much research and read so many reviews.

From what I've read on the 5R, 700P, 700VS, the 10FCP and the 10PC they are all .5-.7MOA guns with the Federal Gold Medal ammunition, some of these guns I've seen many reviews/people displaying that, on the 700VS it was a little harder to find, but there still.

So, where does that leave me... well, they all seem to do what I am looking for, so I guess feel and features comes into play. All have free floating barrels, custom stocks, aluminum bedding, the 5r is 24" vs the 26 of the rest.

It is just hard to be for sure, for every 100 people that love remingtons 100 don't, for every 100 that love savage, 100 don't. You have guys saying their $200 prostaff scope rivals their Nightforce... at some point a person just has to go for it and learn his lesson, be it good or bad.

So, after talking to many, reports/people saying I've got as much a chance of the savage shooting .5MOA as I do the 5R, I liked the Savage, that stock you seem to dislike is a big reason I like it.

But, maybe I wake up in 8 hours and decide that the 5R is just a safer bet... Of course the savage has easily replaced barrels should I want to play with other calibers or just go custom 308... this could go on forever

Last edited:
Remington 5R

Leupold, Nightforce, or T-36

McMillan A5 or A3, or H-S PST-025

Tactical rings (Mark 4, Badger, Seekins, TPS, Burris Xtreme, etc.)

Everything here is popular, works well, and has a high resale value. You can run the 5R in the factory H-S stock until you can afford a better one.

Buy good stuff once, it is cheaper and easier in the long run, and you'll be happier because of it. Ask me how I know this
laugh.gif

BTW, I have an H-S PST-025 to sell you, and a Leupy VXIII 8.5-25x50 with M1 dials, if you are interested.....

you are good to go. you are right about the 100/100. and you have done a LOT of research. i have bushnell elites on a couple of my sendero 25-06s. my son in law has won against customs with them. i use the burris rings too. shoot your gun. enjoy. -4 degrees here in flagstaff last tuesday. brrrrr

Last edited:
A Savage, floated in a Choate, sporting a Bushnell, locked up via Burris Signatures, is a combination I'd not wish on anyone.

But like you say, to each their own......
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunRemington 5R

Leupold, Nightforce, or T-36

McMillan A5 or A3, or H-S PST-025

Tactical rings (Mark 4, Badger, Seekins, TPS, Burris Xtreme, etc.)

Everything here is popular, works well, and has a high resale value. You can run the 5R in the factory H-S stock until you can afford a better one.

Buy good stuff once, it is cheaper and easier in the long run, and you'll be happier because of it. Ask me how I know this
laugh.gif

BTW, I have an H-S PST-025 to sell you, and a Leupy VXIII 8.5-25x50 with M1 dials, if you are interested..... two much gun- a T-36 is a $275 weaver target scope. the other are very expenisive variable power hunting scopes. i guesss i don't understand. you don't care for bushnell but you like weaver?

I have used both. More than thrice. Weavers will out track anything Bushnell has put out to date----ever. Again, this isn't a guess.......

I wouldnt go with the t-36 if still planning on this gun being a hunting gun as well. I agree with the nightforce or leupold. Would be my top 2 choices definitely! This whole thread has me wanting a dang 308 now haha.

my t-36 is a good reliable scope. it is not as clear as the leup 36 i paid 290 for; or the 6-24 vortex i paid 260 for, or the bush elite 6-24 i paid 375 for . the two leup mk4s i use in f-class the t-36 doesn't come close. i sent weaver the model number and 25$ for the screw in lens covers . they sent me the wrong ones. i called 7 times ; over a one year period trying to get the correct ones. still don't have them. calling for life sorry do not mean to your hi-jack thread(pm you later). roninflag

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeA guy can only do so much research and read so many reviews.

From what I've read on the 5R, 700P, 700VS, the 10FCP and the 10PC they are all .5-.7MOA guns with the Federal Gold Medal ammunition, some of these guns I've seen many reviews/people displaying that, on the 700VS it was a little harder to find, but there still.

So, where does that leave me... well, they all seem to do what I am looking for, so I guess feel and features comes into play. All have free floating barrels, custom stocks, aluminum bedding, the 5r is 24" vs the 26 of the rest.

It is just hard to be for sure, for every 100 people that love remingtons 100 don't, for every 100 that love savage, 100 don't. You have guys saying their $200 prostaff scope rivals their Nightforce... at some point a person just has to go for it and learn his lesson, be it good or bad.

So, after talking to many, reports/people saying I've got as much a chance of the savage shooting .5MOA as I do the 5R, I liked the Savage, that stock you seem to dislike is a big reason I like it.

But, maybe I wake up in 8 hours and decide that the 5R is just a safer bet... Of course the savage has easily replaced barrels should I want to play with other calibers or just go custom 308... this could go on forever

Hey guy don't get so defensive. We are all just giving you advice. Listen to alot of these guys they love shooting and have real world experience. If you dont want to hear an opinion don't ask. I'm not trying to jump on ya, just listen to what people have to say. As far as savage thats one that I shoot. I want to eventually get a remington as well....If you have any savage questions send me a PM.

The Chef

Back