Weatherby Vanguard in a 22-250 any good????

I have one in 223, second favorite gun in the vault behind my remmy700 in 7mag. For the money i dont think there is anything on the market that can beat it. It is actually a howa action with a weatherby name but they are well built and mine is very very accurate and points well for me.

I have owned a Vanguard in 25-06. I was very happy with accuracy and feel from the rifle....one of the few I wish I had not sold.

I have a Vanguard 22-250 from way back. Maybe 30 yrs old(?) that still shoots great today.

The 1500 is a solid action, IMO, and a good value. Too bad it's Japwanese, or I'd like it even more......

The Timney Trigger costs about $110 and can be installed by you, unless your all thumbs. A Drimel with a sanding tool tip helps.

Put one on my sons Vanguard in 243Win. Well worth it. I couldn't get much adjustment out of the factory trigger but the Timney was ordered to be set at 2.5lbs, and sure enough it came set perfectly at 2.5lbs according to my trigger scale. Big Improvement.

Not good enough for my stable. But I don't like working on guns.
Many guys can justify the price of a gun but don't count the upgrades they plan. Resale isn't that great either. Gave mine away.

i personally didnt have to do any trigger work, i like my triggers a hair heavier and if i remember correctly mine breaks at a very clean 3.5lbs. As i have already said, i love mine and if i needed to buy another bolt gun it would very likely be a vanguard, or a 700 if i could find one cheap. Resale wasnt a consideration to me as i dont plan on getting rid of it.

Had a howa 1500 in 22-250 that I really wish I hadn't sold, but needed the money at the time. Think you can find the weatherby's for cheaper than the price you posted.

Yes the same I have heard of a few people that did not like them, my axiom breaks crisp at about 3.5 # out of the box

I've owned three Weatherby Vanguards. Got trading fever and let two go, but still have one. All are shooters, smooth actions and well built. The triggers are crappy for sure, but that can be solved with a Timney.

The wood stocks are beautiful, but leave a lot to be desired with maintaing zero. Seems Weatherby stocks just swell or are acceptable more to moisture than other makes. Synthetic stocks solved the problem.

They are great rifles, especially for the price.

I have a Vanguard in .223 with synthetic and I love it. Shoots great and has been very reliable for me. Trigger is a little heavy but I may be looking into a Timney after reading this thread.

And this site makes me want to spend more money as much as it makes me want to go hunting!

My friend has a vanguard in .243 an to be completly honest it by far my favourite budget rifle.

I keep borrowing it in the hopes that he'll eventually see the light and know that since I use it more then he does, that he should sell it to me for a good price.

If there were a knock I could give the rifle, it would be that the stock feels cheap. The dimentions are spot on, and its easy to hold in your hands all day, but it does have that plastic tupperware feel that all budget rifles have. Though with that being said, I say it the best tupperware stocks of all the tupperware stocks out there.

I said it was my favorite budget rifle, but replace the stock with something with the same contours, but better matierial, and its my favorite rifle period.

Last edited:
Back