Don't be fooled by Les Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

motox

So I was watching Predator Quest with Les Johnson and noticed something.

This episode, he starts by calling in deep snow in a cattle chute. At the last stand of the episode, he is calling with thick brush to his back and an open snow field in front of him.

Its shows him calling with HIS mouth call and as he is calling, the camera scans to the brush behind him as if it knows where the coyotes are going to be coming from.... as I am sure most of you know, Les and many other shows video what is called " B roll " footage after the shot and edit it in as if it was filmed before the shot.
Well, suddenly the scene changes, and Les is standing with his shotgun and shoots a coyote behind him in that same brush, then another coyote runs right next to him and he shoots that one at like 10 yards with the shotgun. Both great shots.

Here is the thing that gets me, when the scene changes to him shooting at these coyotes, they forgot to edit out the FOXPRO coyotes pup distress playing in the background. If you know this sound, it is unmistakable. Then after he gathers the coyotes, he talks about how he called them with HIS ruffy dog mouth call.

Les Johnson...... I am calling BS on you!!!!

You are a great hunter and caller but don't say you are calling these dogs in with your mouth call, when you clearly are using the FOXPRO and editing your mouth call in the footage.!!!!!!

Last edited:
he wasnt using a fox pro on last nites show it looked like a kanati tek and aint he sponsored by kanati tek ??

i still like to watch his show no matter what he uses .

I watch his show for entertainment and try not to over analyze it. That's why alot of people will never make a show or video because no matter how great it is, there is always someone who will be a critic.

Great job on your shows Les and all the predator hunting shows. I think they do a great job of promoting and representing the sport!!

YFZ,

I agree, I try not to analyze it much but this was just funny. I do think his show overall is good and will still watch it.

I just don't like that he is claiming one thing and clearly using another.

He is sponsored by Kanati Tek ...... that's whats makes this even funnier. The sound being played is a FOXPRO sound .... no doubt.

Yeah, I've never liked how he takes footage after the shot like an "actor" as if the coyote is coming in while he's moving around like that.

For realism as to how it actually goes down on a stand... my favorite DVD's are predator pursuit's offerings. That's real hunting, and there is footage of the shooter actually shooting the coyote as the calling sequence is going down. No acting... just good hunting.

I bought the ruffidawg and ruffidawg jr calls. They are good calls and work just fine. I like them for vocalizations better than distress sounds though.

Originally Posted By: orkanYeah, I've never liked how he takes footage after the shot like an "actor" as if the coyote is coming in while he's moving around like that.

For realism as to how it actually goes down on a stand... my favorite DVD's are predator pursuit's offerings. That's real hunting, and there is footage of the shooter actually shooting the coyote as the calling sequence is going down. No acting... just good hunting.

I bought the ruffidawg and ruffidawg jr calls. They are good calls and work just fine. I like them for vocalizations better than distress sounds though.

man you guys would hate the predator madness dvd's! thats what goes on on thier videos! the b-rolls and re enacting! great kills though!

I would hate to watch a hunting show whose video consisted of sitting on the tree stand for the first six hours and then maybe a doe and fawn come out for some footage.

I accept the editing for what it is, trying to make it interesting and exciting. I find the product placement the funniest with Predator Quest, Les even seems like he is bored mentioning "Howa/Hogue, Ruffidog, Kings Camo, Hornady Vmax," but I accept that too knowing that is where the bread is buttered.

Originally Posted By: dogtiredI would hate to watch a hunting show whose video consisted of sitting on the tree stand for the first six hours and then maybe a doe and fawn come out for some footage.

I accept the editing for what it is, trying to make it interesting and exciting. I find the product placement the funniest with Predator Quest, Les even seems like he is bored mentioning "Howa/Hogue, Ruffidog, Kings Camo, Hornady Vmax," but I accept that too knowing that is where the bread is buttered.
well said!

when you think about it the re enacting after or even up until the kill shot is what makes it interesting. i too would hate to watch a guys 30 min show and him not harvest a thing or only have a doe or fawn show up!

motox, rather than criticize his show why don't you get out there and show us and Les how it's done. Having had quite a bit of personal experience with recording and editing hunting videos, I'm thinking you are in for a real education. Then again, perhaps you are an expert, if so please share your video skills with the rest of the world, so we might all be able to produce flawless videos and TV programs.

HMMMMMM. Les has more mutts put down then you have post's

Chruch it up sweet pie, an lets see yer 1000 kills!!!

Knock a guy cause he's better then you?

Jealous!!!!!!

I really like Predator quest, more so than the other shows I see. Its got to be alot of work to put Camera equipment as well as the hunter on each stand in order to make those videos. I imagine that it takes alot of film just to make a 30 minute show. The advertising does get a littl old.. Howa, Kings Camo, Fruit of the Loom boxers,Haynes socks...
grin.gif

Motox really is nit picking here, but he is entitled to his opinion. My only gripe with Les is the list of sponsors he reads after making a shot or whatever! It is flat embarrassing to my way of thinking.

As for the "continuity problems", no big deal. It is VERY hard to make videos and he and all the rest make mistakes. Who cares! The end result is entertainment, that's all!

My $.02

Rustydog

Better yet Motox, before you start to call someone a fake and accuse them of using a certain product think about this. I have heard the coyote pup in distress from Foxpro and I have heard many other e-callers that [beeep] near sound identical. By the time the video is recorded in the field then it is played on your $75.00 Emerson TV it may sound a little distorted from its original sound. Now if you saw the Foxpro sitting on the ground in the video and you could pause it and make a positive identification on it then you would have something to talk about, until then quite jumping to conclusions.

I watched his show a few times and it seemed like it was the same set over and over. More like if you've seen one, you've seen em all. I didn't really care for it because of that. He used the same call, same set up. I'm sure he's awesome, his show just wasn't for me. I pretty much quit watching all of them for reasons others have stated. Most have become infomercials with 10 minutes of hunting and 20 of commercials. I don't mind editing so much but what I can't stand is when the camera man is standing at the kill and the hunters are filmed "looking" for the animal and the camera guy is standing next to it and they go "there he is". Too funny, or not!

Good job calling someone out with six whole posts under your belt. Quit jumping to conclusions yourself. How do you know he has a "$75.00 Emerson TV" huh?

Dont knock an Emerson till you've tried one alright.
smile.gif

Someone please remind me why this forum even exists if we cant talk about stuff we've seen on our favorite hunting shows? Especially when it is in regards to hunting, predator hunting to be more specific...Seems to me, both of the above qualify for discussion on our fine site here.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: motox...Here is the thing that gets me, when the scene changes to him shooting at these coyotes, they forgot to edit out the FOXPRO coyotes pup distress playing in the background. If you know this sound, it is unmistakable. Then after he gathers the coyotes, he talks about how he called them with HIS ruffy dog mouth call.

I once walked to a familiar calling spot and heard the howl of a coyote. A few seconds later, I hear the more familiar call of the Coyote Challenge Howl from FP from the other direction. Obviously someone was near what I thought was a secluded spot. I didn't think it was another coyote challenge howl. It's clear when you're hearing a familiar sound.

If Motox says he heard the sound of the FP call, then unless we were there, either with Les or with Motox as he was watching the show, who/how are we to debate it?

I won't watch or buy a Les Johnson show/DVD exactly because of all the editing. I bought one 3-DVD set and stopped after 1/2 way into the 1st DVD. While I believe that Les is successful in coyote hunting, I don't care much for the staged "after-action" run through.

So Motox has a different opinion than some of you...so what?

Haha ..... I can tell some of you took this personally. Sorry to bash your idol and hero. Didn't mean to get your panties in a twist. Your posts actually made my day as I laughed at your angry posts.

Just because he has a show, doesn't mean I can't call BS when its needed.

All I am saying is I like videos that are not edited so dramatic and just show the action as it happens.

Like my original post said, I think Les Johnson is a great hunter and caller and I know I will never call and kill as many predators as he has.

The point I was originally trying to make was: Don't use an electronic call and try to edit your show like you mouth called it in. In the episode you can hear the caller still playing when he is shooting.

Now to address each of you nay sayer's posts:

Ursus21 - Here's some education for you.... I have SOME filming experience as well. That's why I notice horrible B Roll some shows have. I edit with Final Cut on my Apple. Obviously you prefer the dramatic B Roll fake stuff that I and others do not. I never claimed to be able to produce flawless shows.... I just call anyone out on their BS.

elpasojon - You sound like one of those guys who respects members on here who has more posts than you. I didn't know that the more one posts on here, the better hunter they become. I guess you just taught me something. Just so you know, I read this board several times a day....I just rarely post on here. However, if posting more will make me better at hunting I guess I will start. And, Yes .... I am a bit jealous of him.... I do wish I had a show like that.... but only with no fake B Roll footage. I would invite you and Ursus21 on my show and have you share your knowledge and show me and my viewers some of your experts skills.

Rustydog - I agree

desertyote - First of all UTard, I know that sound is a FOXPRO... I use it lots and it is UNMISTAKABLE! However, even if he was using one of those dumb Kanati Tek callers, he still tried to play it off like he called that double in using his "same as all the others" Ruffydawg mouth call.
So I will jump to any conclusion I want to. Watch the episode, the call is loud and clear in between shots. The point I was trying to make was, if he is using an electric caller, admit to it. I am now going to conclude you got mad because you idolize him too......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back