Weasel Ball Toy Modified For A Predator Decoy

SDHowler

This is the Weasel Ball decoy that I modified for a predator decoy.

_WeaselBall2.jpg

A 24 inch length of 1/4" threaded steel rod was used for the stake with a piece of flat iron welded to the lower end of the stake to step the stake into the ground. I screwed off the top cover of the Weasel Ball and drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom center of the cover. Then you will need to fasten this cover to the top end of the threaded rod, using nuts and flat washers on each side of the cover. The bottom working unit of the Weasel Ball should then be glued to the inside of the top cover and stake.

_WeaselBall3.jpg

I used some 0.40" thickness piano wire as a support wire for the weasel toy. Perhaps you can find a similar stiff wire for this purpose. I threaded and fastened this wire around the top center of the spinning unit as shown in the above pic. The nose of the weasel toy can be slipped on to the end of the wire. The wire allows a wider span for the turning of the weasel and hopefully more visible for the oncoming predators. I used a flat black spray paint to cover the stake, wire, and weasel ball unit.

_WeaselBall4.jpg

I have also put together some turkey feathers that I may try on the end of this wire rather than the weasel. You could also use a 3/16" rod in place of the 1/4" rod that I used for the stake.

The Weasel Ball operates on a single AA battery, but unfortunately will only run for about an hour with a one battery. Cold temps and wind will also shorten battery life. The Mojo Critter decoy uses four AA's and turns for a longer period of time, but the cost of the Mojo with shipping will be around $50. I have around $20 in this Weasel Ball decoy.

Nice! Nice! Nice!
I like it!
I bought a weasel ball a year or two ago and never really liked it.
I can see with your modification that it will have a lot more movement and be higher off the ground.
Thanks for posting!
Mark

Originally Posted By: sawtoothscreamhmmmm. might have to give tis a try
I already have after I read his post this morning.
So far I like it.
SD Howler, thanks for posting and sharing your modification! I appreciate it.
Mark

Nice old idea. I tried one last year, 10 minutes after I started it up it managed to work it's way loose and down a prairie dog hole never to be seen by human eyes again.

They say that on cold moonlit nights you can still hear it's haunting call... whir whir whir whir
laugh.gif

Ive had one of these in the closet since Jan. Saw it at the local Cracker Barrel and thought it would work as acheap decoy...guess i was right.
I was gonna take the easy route and hang it from a low hanging limb or fence line with some fishing line.

I had the following post from Lamar from Saskatchewan with another site:

You could probably solve the "one battery" problem by making an auxiliary battery pack with more or larger batteries. Many years ago I was a wedding photographer and I got tired of the 4 AA batteries in my camera flash fading in the middle of the ceremony, so I made a power pack of 4 D-cells in a belt holster. The D-cells supply the same voltage as AA but would last many times longer. I made a wooden plug to replace the flash batteries with two thumbtacks as contacts. A wire from the aux. power pack was connected to the thumbtacks. You could incorporate the auxiliary battery pack for your decoy into a base at ground level with a wire leading up to the device.

Radio Shack has an enclosed 4 "AA" battery holder that may work for this unit.

For use with frozen ground, the threaded rod could be cut and a coupling or extension nut could be screwed onto the end of the base rod for use with a tripod mounting set-up. For unfrozen ground, you would simply screw the original stake end of the rod back onto the unit.

All of your suggestions for improvements are greatly appreciated. As I always say "Where there is a will, there is a way".

Originally Posted By: SDHowlerRadio Shack has an enclosed 4 "AA" battery holder that may work for this unit.

Steve, be aware that a 4AA holder as described above will produce *around* 6 VDC with new alkaline batteries.

I'm thinking that weasel ball uses 1 AA battery (which is 1.5V)?

6 volts might be ok for a short time and it would definitly make that weasel ball get-up-n-go for that short time, but I don't think it's gonna take the extra volts for very long.

A holder for 1 C or 1 D cell would produce the same volts as the 1 AA and in theory should last a good while longer.

There are ways to wire up 4AA's to get the 1.5 volts as an end result output. But I don't know of any manufactured holders available to do it. It would be a do it yourself project.

Just mainly wanted to give ya a heads up about the holder from RS. But you may of already known.

Hope ya have a great Thanksgiving.

An aux battery pack will not work since the internal unit of the weasel turns when it is powered on. I was hoping to have the battery mounted below the actual weasel ball with the connecting wires. I'm not sure that the weasel could be modified for the attachment of a smaller two AA battery pack onto the existing spinning unit.

i saw this on Varmint Alls Website ive been wanting to give it a whirl but i havent been able to find and weasle balls in person... just on line.

Wish i still had mine from when i was little

I did a simmilar one the other day. I forgot it at home this morning but am going to take it out tomorrow for some calling aciton.

IMAGE_016.jpg

a short video.

Pack_Wolf:

How does the Weasel work from the Jack-In-The-Box or what does it do? I thought these toys were only one single jump and no batteries?

Last edited:
I made a feather decoy to replace the JIB animal. I think it has intimidated some coyotes. I clipped the small weasel under the feathers with a ball bearing swivel. It looks as though it is jumping on a bird. It may not have any greater look to a coyote,..but isn't as big as the JIB animal.

Pack

You did a good job on the decoy! Beware of hawks, they like to attack these things! One hit mine and knocked it off a stump then tried to drag it with one foot while the Weasel ball was still moving.

Back