Todays Pheasant hunt

5spd

Since we had today off me and a pal hit the walk in area that the DFG stocked with birds and we came home with our limit in about 2hrs & in the snow. This was our last time to get out there for either sex bird as Saturday it goes to male only.
We had a blast and the Beagle is turning into quite the bird dog. He got us 3 out of the tall grasses. The birds were holding tight & easy to track in the fresh snow.
pheasanthunt021.jpg

Hey, thats a great days hunt! I want to get up and try the one in my area but work keeps getting in the way. Awesome!

5spd, you're making me JEALOUS! I love to knock down the roosters, and there's nothing like watching a dog have fun in the process.

Originally Posted By: GCPretty little hound, love beagles!

Speaking of which ... how's your little feller doing GC ?

hey it looks like you have been at springer. I have been out 4 times this year already and we got our limit quick too. Its too bad that they have to stock so many hens and so few roosters on the whma's. Well i get to go to south dakota for a week starting tomorrow. cant wait.

Nice bunch of birds 5spd.

We made it out opening morning to a spot we have been working on for 8 years(predator control) and managed to kick up 40+ birds in the first 100 yards; mostly roosters. We had them launching as far 300 yards out from then on. Four of us managed 8 roosters that morning. Sure was a sight to see. We will be back at them again the first week in December. No dog though; which is a handicap.

dog1whckr,thats nuts. Wild birds? My dog wouldn't know how to handle that. Most we kicked up this year was 3. It's crowded public land though and they keep dropping the amount of birds stocked. More hunters than ever, license is more expensive yet they are stocking less birds than ever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dog1whckrNice bunch of birds 5spd.

We made it out opening morning to a spot we have been working on for 8 years(predator control) and managed to kick up 40+ birds in the first 100 yards; mostly roosters. We had them launching as far 300 yards out from then on. Four of us managed 8 roosters that morning. Sure was a sight to see. We will be back at them again the first week in December. No dog though; which is a handicap.

Well you need to have me tag along with Winston on those birds!

Originally Posted By: BobtheCathey it looks like you have been at springer. I have been out 4 times this year already and we got our limit quick too. Its too bad that they have to stock so many hens and so few roosters on the whma's. Well i get to go to south dakota for a week starting tomorrow. cant wait.

All the hens are very true. Now since it just rooster as of 11/13 I hope the DFG release them.

5spd Your welcome to come up when we get back from the midwest. Bring the dog. I think we can still find a number of birds even after the 'hunter onslaught' of the first three weeks. We get back in the first week of December. PM me if your interested. Got plenty of room.

I get to go to Norton Kansas(Northwest corner of kanasa) on saturday to hunt roosters and I cant wait. We went last year and had a blast

Great haul there. I miss pheasant hunting alot. My best friend and I used to go to South Dakota every year opening weekend, birds every where. He died a couple years back and I don't think it would be the same. We used to hunt everything but bird hunting was our really good times togther. Nice dog too I hear beagles make the best all around dogs. And they are pretty cute too

I just got back from south dakota pheasant hunting. The hunt was a quite different from last years hunt. This year, about 99% of the crops were off of the fields whereas last year about 99% were still on at this same time due to wet fields. The roosters were very spooky this year due to lack of cover. However they were easier to find because any patch of tall grass or weeds that we came across, you could bet it was holding a bird or two. We ended up shooting 36 roosters in the week that we were there. Not bad i guess. My dad and uncles (SD residents) also had deer tags. It is nice to have something to do in the mornings before 10am when it is legal to bird hunt. They filled out their deer tags on the third day and then we got seriouse about the roosters. all in all it was a great trip to south dakota and cant wait to go back next year. thank god for 3" mags.

Originally Posted By: dog1whckr5spd Your welcome to come up when we get back from the midwest. Bring the dog. I think we can still find a number of birds even after the 'hunter onslaught' of the first three weeks. We get back in the first week of December. PM me if your interested. Got plenty of room.

I will do that.
I got out T-day in 30mph wind and what felt like -10 chill and we got up 5 hens (cant shoot now) & then finally shot 1 rooster. They were all holding very tight!

Back