breaking a new dpms bull 20

ig25

long time bolt action yote hunter but just got a new dpms bull 20" 223rem. in the first 10 rounds was getting 1.25" groups at 100 yards next 10 2" groups at 200 yards.so far i am excited about this AR. how long of break in before you start dialing in the scope to a nats behind.on a note factory 55 grain remington loads are not worth the money IMO.
man law #134 will post pics when get them figured out

Straight from the DPMS website: "To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every 10 rounds up to the 100 rounds. It usually takes about 200 rounds per barrel for optimum accuracy. Please keep in mind that our barrels are production barrels not custom barrels. Accuracy is dependant upon many factors such as bullet weight, powder load, rifling twist, rifling lands, operator technique, etc. Our production barrels have achieved anywhere from 1/8" to 1 ½" M.O.A. Obviously, we would hope that every production barrel would shoot 1/8" M.O.A., but with all of the above factors, we cannot guarantee a specific group size."

Personally, I would do something similar but probably a fraction of what they recommend (at least the part about cleaning after every round for the first 25). I've seen others that say clean after every round for the first 20 or so, then shoot five 3-shot groups cleaning in between each, then five 5-shot groups cleaning in between. There are many ways but if you want to wring every last drop of accuracy out of that barrel, you might as well take your time at the range one day and follow DPMS' specs.

I have the same rifle/upper. I followed the recommended procedure pretty closely.If your rifle shoots like mine it will do much better than 1.125" at 100 yard (handloads).As far as dialing in your scope, as long as it`s on paper you should be good to go at least for the shoot n clean regime. After that you can experiment with some different ammo to see what works best. Many here recommend Black Hills ammo. After you figure whats going to work best in your rifle then dial er down to a nats rear.My opinion any way.
FWIW my rifle will shoot several different bullet weights from 50g-60g with excellent to very good results. Welcome to PM`s forums.

Drop down to .50 gr remington JHP and it will punch. I have a 16" DPMS sportical and anything over factory .50 gr. it spits. It also like hornady .40 gr vmax very well.

I have never had decent groups with remington ammunition if it is therie UMC ammo, you have to move up to their premier line to get better consistancy. Federal does the best on consistancy as does Black Hills. Winchester does good but not as well as the other two for me. I generally handload now and that by far gets the best because i can tune the load to the rifle.

I have a RRA 18" Varmint, I did months of research and asking questions before I bought. I took it to the range and I was not impressed with the accuracy at all. Was shooting 2" groups off bags at 100yds. I've read that they will settle down. Well guess what, they do. Last time at the range, I'm shooting groups, 1st group, 1.5-2", second group, 1.5-2", 3rd group, 1/2", I'm like uhh, 4th group 1/2", 5th group, 1/2". It was pretty cool to watch it through the scope. I have not reloaded for this gun yet. So I'm quite happy with it now. Oh yhea, it settled in between 250 and 300 rounds. So give it a little time and don't be afraid to shoot it!

ok so what happens when you have purchased a gun with a 200 round count and the guy I purchased it from did not follow the clean every shot for first 20 and every 5 after yattah yattah? should I do this myself?

I've 'broken in' a couple of barrels from DPMS over the years with excellent results... Was it totally necessary, I can't say, but the end result was that they shot really good...I still have one that is scary accurate..

UtahShooter, in your case, I would make sure the barrel is as clean as you can get it...DTech has a procedure for cleaning his uppers that works well during a breakin.... Find some Foaming Bore Cleaner (Outers or Gunslick) and soak the barrel a couple of times in a row to insure that any copper and powder residue is gone from the barrel...Then find some of the cheapest military (Not Wolf) ammo that you can find and start the prescribed break in procedure...

First of all, it won't hurt the barrel, it will just take some of your time...and try to get a minimum of 100 rounds through the barrel, before worrying about real accuracy...If the barrel is capable of accuracy, it will come, if not, you will never wring it out, without additional expense and effort..

The procedure I use in a little different than what most would promote...One round and clean for the first ten rounds. Five rounds and clean for the next twenty rounds, and then every ten rounds, clean...Until you have reached one hundred..

When you are 'breaking in' a barrel, you are doing two things, knocking down (hopefully) any left over machine marks from the cutting of the lands and grooves, and secondly, burnishing the steel surface of the barrel...

Unfortunately, with the shooting the previous owner has done, and not knowing what was specifically done on his part, this may be an exercise in futility...The best you can hope for is to remove his dirt and debris and start over..I'm hesitant to suggest using JB Paste unless that is a last resort, as you can potentially cause more damage than you are helping..

You will hear a lot of guys, myself included, that indicate a clean barrel loses some of it's accuracy until X number of rounds have been shot and after a second X number of rounds have been shot, the accuracy starts to degrade again. You may have to watch for that to occur and live/shoot accordingly..

After you complete the barrel break in procedure, and if you are stuck with factory ammo, obtain a box of several of the various ones in your immediate area and then run some tests to see which gives you the best consistent accuracy....

Before I started reloading, I was pleasantly surprised to find that for one rifle, the Federal 50gr HP gave me some excellent groups and it was the cheapest on the market... on a couple of others, Black Hills ammo earned the spot...For a couple, it was high dollar and that's one of the reasons I started reloading for my rifles..

To the OP, go out and buy a box of Hornady 55 grain Vmax bullets (20 count). Shoot four different 5 shot groups and then come back and post your results here.

I bought a Sweet 16 brand new and just shot the dam thing. I cleaned it after the first 5 and then the first 20 and then I just shot and cleaned until I desired. Never ran factory through and it ate all my 60 grain and 55 grain Vmax loads and spit them into 3/4" groups or less at 100 yards. Same gun holds 2.25" @ 400 yards with 55 Vmax handloads with Benchmark.

I am going to love this forum. thanks for the great info.
its is always nice it get all info you can and compair yours with it and find what works.
Thanks again

Originally Posted By: ig25long time bolt action yote hunter but just got a new dpms bull 20" 223rem. in the first 10 rounds was getting 1.25" groups at 100 yards next 10 2" groups at 200 yards.so far i am excited about this AR. how long of break in before you start dialing in the scope to a nats behind.on a note factory 55 grain remington loads are not worth the money IMO.
man law #134 will post pics when get them figured out

Try different bullets. I shoot 55 grain winchester supreme ballistic tip thru a dpms special bull 24 and can shoot a three shot group at a 100 that you can hide with a dime. As far as break in, I cleaned it with a bore snake every round up to ten then shot two five shot rounds cleaning in betwwen and then moved to ten shot rounds and done that twice.

Last edited:
Got a DPMS 16" HBAR 1:9 upper and have 300 rounds through it and the groups are getting smaller every time I shoot it! Did the break in and now I just run a bore snake through 3 times every time I'm done shooting!

i have the extreme superbull 24 and love it. but you need a wheelbarrow to get it in the woods
100_0384.jpg

Originally Posted By: jimmiei have the extreme superbull 24 and love it. but you need a wheelbarrow to get it in the woods
100_0384.jpg

Nice
what scope is that?

Back