Using a siren sound to locate coyotes

Pat B

I understand that coyotes cannot help themselves and respond to a siren sound. Do they respond to this locating sound during daylight hours? Could I use it to locate coyotes for a late afternoon stand?

Pat,
Go to search, select all forums, type in "siren", then click subject and go back 2 years.
I got like 3-4 pages of threads, but for some reason, I can't bring that link into here.
HTH

Ive heard coyotes go off when the noon whistle blows as well as a fire truck or ambulance pass by during various hours of the day/night.

But +1 on the search for "siren" you will find a lot of info.

Not trying to hijack your thread Pat B, but trying to learn about sirens as well.

After reading this thread:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...rue#Post1113242

I read the following from OldTurtle:

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle

Most of the time, I'm firing mine up down along the river bottoms (not too populated after our floods) with the car turned off, after sitting quietly for a few minutes... let it run for 30-60 seconds and see if I get any response...

If no response, I'll move a couple of miles down the road and repeat... If I get a response, I'll log it on my GPS for daytime (we can't hunt with lights at night in MO)..

Which answers my personal question on how long to do it and if you can use a vehicle while using a siren.

So the question that I have regarding the use of a siren: it seems that a siren is a great way to locate a coyote, (maybe better than other locator calls?) but I am a bit confused about the following steps. It seems that guys are saying that they use a siren, and then if they get a response they will make a note of where it was and return later (the following day perhaps). But can you use a siren, and once it is determined that there are indeed dogs in the area, can you begin using another call to bring them in? Or is this more so a method to be used for scouting with a planned return?

Luke,

That was my thought also. Why waste time calling when they are not even there yet.....
I will have a look at that thread you found

I have used the siren late at night just locating coyotes and when they sound-off I just go hunting early in the morning and try to catch them comming back through.

We can hunt at night, so when we use it one guy gets about 50 yards away to listen while the other guy runs the siren call (I use FoxPro's siren sounds). I start off at volume 10, crank it up to 40, and back to 10 like an ambulance coming and going down the road. The other guy does the listening for the response, which is usually fairly immediate. I think it's a better locator than a pack howl, and not as intimidating. We then crank up and head that way for our next stand. Sort of like owling for turkeys.

So does anyone immediately start calling after using a siren to locate? Or is it always appropriate to wait til the following day to call?

I've had a few coyotes come running to the siren within mere seconds of starting it!

They were obviously in need of immediate medical attention.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI've had a few coyotes come running to the siren within mere seconds of starting it!

They were obviously in need of immediate medical attention.

Haha. Hope one of your pills fixed them right up...

Originally Posted By: Luke BaxterSo does anyone immediately start calling after using a siren to locate? Or is it always appropriate to wait til the following day to call?

i was wondering the same thing

Originally Posted By: bobeanoOriginally Posted By: Luke BaxterSo does anyone immediately start calling after using a siren to locate? Or is it always appropriate to wait til the following day to call?

i was wondering the same thing

For me, I will locate with a siren early in the morning or before my night hunts. I will drive to all my spots and mark where I heard the coyote. I then go back to the first spot I had a response most of the time it is 30 minutes to an hour later and set up. This has been affective for me and helped me kill a lot of my coyotes.

If after a stand nothing responds or comes in I will go back to the car and use the siren again. This helps me determine if they have moved on. If I hear them farther down the road I will set up on them right away, giving 15 minutes to let things die down.

IMO a coyote can not determine that a hunter is using a siren. To them it is a sound that does not disturb them. I would venture to say you could set up on them right away.

This is just what works for me.

Matt

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI've had a few coyotes come running to the siren within mere seconds of starting it!

I had the same thing happen 2 years ago while out locating one evening. Turned on the siren and had one come running as hard as he could within 10-15 seconds and barking the entire way...needless to say at about the 50 yard mark, he got his medication!

Originally Posted By: Luke BaxterSo does anyone immediately start calling after using a siren to locate? Or is it always appropriate to wait til the following day to call?
go to xbandits.com check out the free video on calling coyotes

We don't have a great population density down here, so I usually have to drive a ways down the road after locating them with a siren, so it's usually a good 10-15 minutes after I use a siren that I actually start calling. If some were to crank up close by, I would have no hesitation to cut the siren off, wait a minute, and start calling immediately.

Last edited:
Here coyote locator works better than sirens, which I don't get cause I heaqr em responding to sirens here sometimes. When I use a locator I'm out there first thing before sun up, I locate about 1 mile apart down a road, and make the first stand at the latest spot I got a response when it's getting time to make a stand cause the suns comming up, and work my way back down the road on the way home making stands where I got responces and skipping areas I didn't. You know I need to get sighted in and go do this, been awhile since I done it.

t/c223encore.

Back