.270 loads for coyotes?

i heard the heavy loads used on game like deer and antelope are the best! since the bullet is designed for thicker skin than that of a yote it wont expand and mushroom like as if it were on a deer! if you hit bone though.......ouch

I have shot a few yotes with my 270 while deer hunting and I think the best results are using a good deer bullet that will not fragment. I use a 130 grain NOSLER CT and generallly get an exit bout the size of a quarter. Can get pretty messy if you hit too much bone though.

270 cal 110 grain Sierra spitzer flat base. Accurate as all he11 and will put em down where they stand. Kilt many coyote with a Sako HB 270 Win when I use to hunt Nevada. Grizz

I have used the Sierra 130 grain boattail without much damage. Exits through the ribs the size of a quarter or so. I have used the Sierra 90 grain hollow points and Barnes 150 grain triple shock with spectacular explosive results.

i have used the .270 for coyotes for quite a while. i shot one with a ballistic tip bullet..never again! but i have shot about 10-12 with just regular federal vital shok soft points. they dont expand on the yotes thin skin. i have all the hides too...biggest exit hole is maybe a half dollar size.

I started out using a .270 for coyotes, but switched to a .22-250 so I could shoot lighter v-max bullets. The reason was not performance, it is my paranoia about richochets. When using the .270 I shot Remington Express 90 gr. PSP. They worked great and grouped very nicely. The gun was a Remington Model 700 sporter. Good luck.

I use my .270 as a do all gun. Any regular ole' soft point will do. I dont keep hides so I just use my 130 grain Ballistic Tips. They dont go anywhere, but they do some serious damage.

Remington 150g Core Loct is what you are looking for on fur friendly, depending on where you hit them.

The 257 Weatherby with 100g Ballistic tips and the 270 Win with 90g Sierra HP blow the biggest holes in yotes that Iave ever witnessed...they look like they had a grenade stuck up their butt!

Last edited:
Ill go ahead and tell you the 150 grain Core-Lokts will slap blow a hole in one to. The one my dad shot with his .270 and 150 grain Core-Lokt put a bigger hole in her then my Ballistic tips do.

For years all I hunted with was a 7mm rem mag. I've found 175 elk loads just blow right through them without too big a hole. The same theory should work with the 270.

The previous advice sums it up. I don't load my .270 for yotes. However, how good are you at head shots? My cleanest kill on was was with my .270, 140gr SST. I happened to see one about 130yds off trying to cover real estate over crusted snow that kept breaking under him (i.e. target randomly going up and down). I by chance hit him behind the right ear and the bullet may have exited the left eye, but it was hard to tell. Very little pelt damage.

Last edited:
Again, try the Sierra 270 cal 110 grain spitzer soft point. It will do what you want. I was getting around 3300 MV out of my 24 inch Sako, Grizz.

Shot a 50 pound female last weekend with a 270 win. Factory ammo. Federal 130 bonded soft point. Exit about the size of a quarter, entrance you would have to work to find. Then again, I didn't hit the shoulder bone. In the front of the shouder, out towards the guts.

Back