R-15 barrel profile

grin.gif

That much I know... I am hoping for some specific dimensions if anybody knows them.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: cbass16cant say i know the answer, but my curiosity has peaked. how come you need to know?

I have used one of the 18" CS versions and think it is just about right for a calling rifle. Good accuracy and repeatability without a lot of weight. I would like to know what the barrel profile is so I can build a similar upper (with a few minor changes) for an extra lower I have. If i didn't have a lower, I would likely just buy an R-15.

Originally Posted By: AlecI have one I could measure it. What exactly do you want? I can mic od is that it? Alec

Any dimensions you can provide would be useful. I'm curious what the approximate dimensions are under the handgaurd as well if you can find a way to eyeball that.

thanks.

Originally Posted By: CHMD
grin.gif

That much I know... I am hoping for some specific dimensions if anybody knows them.

Thanks

Oh thats what you wanted....here you go....
thumbup1.gif

Bbl at very end .680"
Gas block .750"
Behind gas block swells to .850" for about an inch then tapers back down to .750" under the handguard.

OK I guss 5spd gave you what you need. I think the 18" light barrel is perfect. I shot a coyote yesterday at about 300 yards. 1 shot did a decent job on kill power and very accurate. The heavyer and or longer barrels don't really give you any more range or kill power. Its about the lightest and amoungst the most accurate predator gun out there, and fast follow up shots. Alec

I agree. Much to the chagrin of the bull barreled, bench hugging velocity worshippers, I am having a barrel custom built to specs very close to the R15. Mine is a .204 and 20" long though. Wanted a carry gun that allowed a fast follow up shot or two, but not a PD blaster. Couldn't buy it, so I'm building it.

Originally Posted By: AlecOK I guss 5spd gave you what you need. I think the 18" light barrel is perfect. I shot a coyote yesterday at about 300 yards. 1 shot did a decent job on kill power and very accurate. The heavyer and or longer barrels don't really give you any more range or kill power. Its about the lightest and amoungst the most accurate predator gun out there, and fast follow up shots. Alec

I agree the 18" light weight barrel is the ticket for predator hunting. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: cmatera I agree. Much to the chagrin of the bull barreled, bench hugging velocity worshippers, I am having a barrel custom built to specs very close to the R15. Mine is a .204 and 20" long though. Wanted a carry gun that allowed a fast follow up shot or two, but not a PD blaster. Couldn't buy it, so I'm building it.

Mind sharing who is making your barrel? I am still researching my options for having an AR barrel made to the profile and length I want.

thanks

Agreed!

My first AR was a DPMS w/20" Fluted Bull. Sheessss.

Then a 16" M4. Got it in my head I was loosing to much MV.

There were a couple of others, one still in the bottom of the safe somewhere.

I looked at several others and realized the R=15 was set up right for me as a hunting rifle. I found a deal on two. A CS 18" and a 22" with the fixed stock.

R15s-1.jpg

I settled on the CS 18". Added a Timney 3lb, Claw Camo Sling, a couple of YH Forend Rails, several 20 round tan mags, a few cases of 55 grain V-Maxes, a Burris P.E.P.R. and matching 3X-9X BP.

PEPR.jpg

AlcovaDog.jpg

Sure like the way it carries and shoots!

I think 5spd has one like it for sale. I am sure he would make you a deal.

I really like mine, and prob wouldn't mind it being a 16" barrel either. It's very light and handy with a Magpul MS2 Sling for front carry.

The custom builders of what I call benchrest AR's don't get it. They're too worried about preserving their reputation for accuracy. A gun that stays in the safe because it's too heavy is useless. We need guns that are reasonably accurate(minute of coyote), light enough to carry and use, and it would be nice if to get it before we die or are too old to use it. We are not worried about losing a couple hundred fps due to the shorter barrel, or barrel overheating as no one has reported calling in 200 coyotes at a time.

Mine shoots 60 grain Vmax at about 2800 FPS and groups about 1/2". I took a coyote the other day at 325 YDS. Alec

Here's some pic's. Got it in 9 weeks, not 9,12 or 18 months. Yes, you CAN have it your way. 20" .204 Ruger, 1-10" twist, M4 feed ramps. Has eleven degree target crown (not shown), contour is very similar to the R15.

Hart204Rugerbarrel003-1.jpg

Hart204Rugerbarrel001-1.jpg

Hart204Rugerbarrel004-1.jpg

Back