Getting the kids out

Yellowhammer

Staff member
The kids are out of school this week for school, so I thought I would take the opportunity to take them hunting.

Hunter had a basketball game at noon Monday, but after the game we headed for a stand. Right before dark, this doe gave him a good close broadside shot (about 50 yards) and she only went about 50 yards. He is using my .270 all the time now.
This was his second doe so far this season.
HunterLindSprDoe-10.jpg

meHunterdoe-10.jpg

Then yesterday morning it was Erin's turn since Hunter was 2 up on her. We saw a small buck at daylight that hung around for a while, but he left and nothing else was moving and I was starting to wonder where they were. Then this doe showed up in the same spot the buck had been. She made a perfect 60 yards broadside shot using the NEF .243 with 100 grain Hornady light mags. The tell tale jump, kick and flop told me she wouldn't be far and she wasn't. A good 50 yard blood trail led us right to her. I made Erin do the blood trailing job.

ErinSmyrnadoe-10.jpg

MeErinSmyrnadoe-10.jpg

I hope to get them bucks one of these days, but until then the does keep them interested.

Just so the kids didn't get to far ahead of me, I went out Friday and used my doe permit on the National Forest. You have to work a little harder for the public land ones.
Bannisterdoe-10.jpg

So, last night was spent cutting out steaks, and grinding the rest into hamburger.

Hunter got his second doe of the week Friday morning. We saw quite a few deer, a solid white fawn, and some hogs that crossed way to far to shoot.

He got this 4.5 year old doe with one shot from my .270 and she didn't go more than 40 yards. I think his shooting is getting better, but the 50 yard shots help.

He found the shed antler while I went to get the truck.

HunterGlendaledoe10.jpg

meHunterGlendale10.jpg

Last edited:
Back