Gays unhappy with election results

jrbhunter

Gay activists focus on election results

SOURCE
------------------------------------------------

vert.samesex.oregon.ap.jpg

An Oregon couple reacts on Election Day to early returns on the state's same-sex marriage ban amendment.

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- Organizers of the United States' first national gay and lesbian conference since last week's presidential election say resounding voter passage of gay marriage bans in 11 states has been hard to bear, leaving members devastated and fearful.

Matt Foreman of New York, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, likened the blow to a death, with soul searching in order.

"Our movement needs to regroup and buckle down," said Sue Hyde of Cambridge, Massachusetts, director of the "Creating Change" conference that runs Thursday through Sunday.

Last week's presidential election saw 11 more states pass constitutional amendments banning gay marriage. Missouri and five other states already had passed similar measures.

It is tough when "the vast majority of citizens in your state not only do not understand you but take hostile steps to change the constitution to take away rights we never even had," Foreman said. "There's no way you can put lipstick on that pig."

Still, organizers are taking the long view, knowing that gay people have moved beyond past discriminatory practices. They were purged from the U.S. military after World War II, blacklisted as subversives by Sen. Joseph McCarthy in the 1950s and subjected to police raids of their gathering places before fighting back in New York City during what became known as the Stonewall Riot of June 27, 1969.

On November 2, 40 gay candidates were elected to local, state and federal offices, according to the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund, the nation's largest gay and lesbian political action committee.

Foreman said the gay rights movement cannot retreat from working for social and legal rights, though the battle is "extremely uphill."

He and other organizers at this week's conference said they may not be able to change political leaders, and they see no point in talking to what they call "Anti-Gay Inc." -- to them, a right-wing, anti-gay leadership whose mission is "to demonize us."

"We have to engage our neighbors and co-workers in a deep conversation about our humanity, and the need to be able to take care of our families," Hyde said.

About 2,000 people are expected to attend the conference, which is sponsored by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the oldest national group advocating for the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Hyde said organizers believe the state measures passed by voters will be interpreted very broadly to prohibit recognition of gay and lesbian relationships and families, and conference organizers anticipate the Bush administration will push for a U.S. constitutional ban on gay marriage.

Organizers say they are deeply troubled that the lives and families of gay people were portrayed as a threat to society in the state campaigns for a gay marriage ban. Hyde fears that passage of the measures now means it's possible for openly gay people in some communities to be physically hurt by those who fear or hate them.

Roey Thorpe, executive director of Basic Rights Oregon, shared a personal story that she believes illustrates the prejudice that a gay person cannot love as truly or as deeply as a heterosexual.

The Portland, Oregon, woman said an employee who was grieving over the death of her husband asked Thorpe, "Do your people feel sad when your person dies?"

"It tells it all," Thorpe said. "I said, 'you saw me as a little less human and for me to realize it breaks my heart.' "

The gay agenda vs. reality

Statistics we don't normally see.

In The Sexual Organization of the City, University of Chicago sociologist Edward Laumann argues that "typical gay city inhabitants spend most of their adult lives in 'transactional' relationships, or short-term commitments of less than six months."[5]

• A study of homosexual men in the Netherlands published in the journal AIDS found that the "duration of steady partnerships" was 1.5 years.[6]

• In his study of male homosexuality in Western Sexuality: Practice and Precept in Past and Present Times, Pollak found that "few homosexual relationships last longer than two years, with many men reporting hundreds of lifetime partners."[7]

• In Male and Female Homosexuality, Saghir and Robins found that the average male homosexual live-in relationship lasts between two and three years.[8]

Bell and Weinberg, in their classic study of male and female homosexuality, found that 43 percent of white male homosexuals had sex with 500 or more partners, with 28 percent having one thousand or more sex partners.[13]

• In their study of the sexual profiles of 2,583 older homosexuals published in the Journal of Sex Research, Paul Van de Ven et al. found that "the modal range for number of sexual partners ever [of homosexuals] was 101-500." In addition, 10.2 percent to 15.7 percent had between 501 and 1,000 partners. A further 10.2 percent to 15.7 percent reported having had more than one thousand lifetime sexual partners.[14]

• A survey conducted by the homosexual magazine Genre found that 24 percent of the respondents said they had had more than one hundred sexual partners in their lifetime. The magazine noted that several respondents suggested including a category of those who had more than one thousand sexual partners.[15]

A Canadian study of homosexual men who had been in committed relationships lasting longer than one year found that only 25 percent of those interviewed reported being monogamous." According to study author Barry Adam, "Gay culture allows men to explore different...forms of relationships besides the monogamy coveted by heterosexuals."[16]

• The Handbook of Family Diversity reported a study in which "many self-described 'monogamous' couples reported an average of three to five partners in the past year. Blasband and Peplau (1985) observed a similar pattern."[17]

• In The Male Couple, authors David P. McWhirter and Andrew M. Mattison reported that, in a study of 156 males in homosexual relationships lasting from one to thirty-seven years:

Only seven couples have a totally exclusive sexual relationship, and these men all have been together for less than five years. Stated another way, all couples with a relationship lasting more than five years have incorporated some provision for outside sexual activity in their relationships.[18]

Sweden
In 1995 Sweden passed the Registered Partnership Act which created civil unions for homosexual couples. In 2003 that law was amended to give registered homosexual couples the same right to adopt or have legal custody of children as married couples. The percentage of homosexual or lesbians in Sweden that enter into civil unions may be estimated as follows:
Estimated homosexual and lesbian population of Sweden: Extrapolating from the Demography estimates in the U.S., a similar percentage of the homosexual and lesbian population of Sweden would be approximately 140,000 (2.5 percent of the adult male population of 3,531,554, and 1.4 percent of the adult female population of 3,679,317).[25]

The much lower rates of homosexual and lesbian civil "marriages" in Sweden and the Netherlands must be viewed in the light of much lower marriage rates in both of those countries, a trend that the introduction of gay "marriage" in the 1990s has not reversed. Thus, as writer Stanley Kurtz argues, the granting of marriage rights to homosexuals and lesbians "has further undermined the institution" of marriage: "Scandinavian gay marriage has driven home the message that marriage itself is outdated, and that virtually any family form, including out-of-wedlock parenthood, is acceptable."[29]

Footnotes:
5. Adrian Brune, "City Gays Skip Long-term Relationships: Study Says," Washington Blade (February 27, 04): 12.
6. Maria Xiridou, et al, "The Contribution of Steady and Casual Partnerships to the Incidence of HIV Infection among Homosexual Men in Amsterdam," AIDS 17 (2003): 1031.
7. M. Pollak, "Male Homosexuality," in Western Sexuality: Practice and Precept in Past and Present Times, ed. P. Aries and A. Bejin, translated by Anthony Forster (New York, NY: B. Blackwell, 1985): 40-61, cited by Joseph Nicolosi in Reparative Therapy of Male Homosexuality (Northvale, New Jersey: Jason Aronson Inc., 1991): 124, 125.
8. M. Saghir and E. Robins, Male and Female Homosexuality (Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1973): 225; L. A. Peplau and H. Amaro, "Understanding Lesbian Relationships," in Homosexuality:Social, Psychological, and Biological Issues, ed. J. Weinrich and W. Paul (Beverly Hills: Sage, 1982).

13. A. P. Bell and M. S. Weinberg, Homosexualities: A Study of Diversity Among Men and Women (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1978), pp. 308, 309; See also A. P. Bell, M. S. Weinberg, and S. K. Hammersmith, Sexual Preference (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1981).
14. Paul Van de Ven et al., "A Comparative Demographic and Sexual Profile of Older Homosexually Active Men," Journal of Sex Research 34 (1997): 354.
15. "Sex Survey Results," Genre (October 1996), quoted in "Survey Finds 40 percent of Gay Men Have Had More Than 40 Sex Partners," Lambda Report, January 1998: 20.
16. Ryan Lee, "Gay Couples Likely to Try Non-monogamy, Study Shows," Washington Blade (August 22, 2003): 18.
17. David H. Demo, et al., editors, Handbook of Family Diversity (New York:Oxford University Press, 2000): 73.
18. David P. McWhirter and Andrew M. Mattison, The Male Couple: How Relationships Develop (Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, 1984): 252, 253.
25. "Facts:population," Directory and Complete Guide to Sweden, 2000: available at: www.sweden.com.
29. Stanley Kurtz, "The End of Marriage in Scandinavia," Weekly Standard (February 2, 2004): 26.

Originally posted by jrbhunter:
Gay activists focus on election results

SOURCE

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- Organizers of the United States' first national gay and lesbian conference since last week's presidential election say resounding voter passage of gay marriage bans in 11 states has been hard to bear, leaving members devastated and fearful.

Matt Foreman of New York, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, likened the blow to a death, with soul searching in order.

I can only say "God Bless". I can see how you could consider a "family" as a man and a woman, in or out of wedlock. However, 2 beings that can not reproduce involved in anything more than friendship is Wrong. I have never seen two male coyotes humping.

"Our movement needs to regroup and buckle down," said Sue Hyde of Cambridge, Massachusetts, director of the "Creating Change" conference that runs Thursday through Sunday.

Buckle Down, is this an attempt to have a million gay march? Don't forget the marching Dorothy's.

Last week's presidential election saw 11 more states pass constitutional amendments banning gay marriage. Missouri and five other states already had passed similar measures.

I proudly voted to amend our state's constitution to identify marriage as only between a man and a woman. I think if Gays want rights, let one of them change their sex.

It is tough when "the vast majority of citizens in your state not only do not understand you but take hostile steps to change the constitution to take away rights we never even had," Foreman said. "There's no way you can put lipstick on that pig."

Is this some "gay" activity I am unaware of? Mentally ill people are under supervision of a doctor, Gays should be under the supervision of someone, maybe Department of Human Services?

Still, organizers are taking the long view, knowing that gay people have moved beyond past discriminatory practices. They were purged from the U.S. military after World War II, blacklisted as subversives by Sen. Joseph McCarthy in the 1950s and subjected to police raids of their gathering places before fighting back in New York City during what became known as the Stonewall Riot of June 27, 1969.

On November 2, 40 gay candidates were elected to local, state and federal offices, according to the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund, the nation's largest gay and lesbian political action committee.

Foreman said the gay rights movement cannot retreat from working for social and legal rights, though the battle is "extremely uphill."

Hopefully like molasses flowing uphill in the middle of January.

He and other organizers at this week's conference said they may not be able to change political leaders, and they see no point in talking to what they call "Anti-Gay Inc." -- to them, a right-wing, anti-gay leadership whose mission is "to demonize us."

Seems like this company is the majority of America. Remember, the majority rules.

"We have to engage our neighbors and co-workers in a deep conversation about our humanity, and the need to be able to take care of our families," Hyde said.

As if Queer eye for the straight guy isn't enough? What, are they gonna have Gay telemarketers telling me how good it is to be gay? Just please don't talk with your mouth full.

About 2,000 people are expected to attend the conference, which is sponsored by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the oldest national group advocating for the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Hyde said organizers believe the state measures passed by voters will be interpreted very broadly to prohibit recognition of gay and lesbian relationships and families, and conference organizers anticipate the Bush administration will push for a U.S. constitutional ban on gay marriage.

Organizers say they are deeply troubled that the lives and families of gay people were portrayed as a threat to society in the state campaigns for a gay marriage ban. Hyde fears that passage of the measures now means it's possible for openly gay people in some communities to be physically hurt by those who fear or hate them.

This is still called a "Hate Crime". I hate it when McDonald's forgets my fries. This is a lot more important to me than worrying about my insurance rates going up do to the fact that CArlos and Lance are getting it on and Carlos gets AIDS and can't pay for crap. He is turning tricks because the Straight man is holding him down.

Roey Thorpe, executive director of Basic Rights Oregon, shared a personal story that she believes illustrates the prejudice that a gay person cannot love as truly or as deeply as a heterosexual.

The Portland, Oregon, woman said an employee who was grieving over the death of her husband asked Thorpe, "Do your people feel sad when your person dies?"

"It tells it all," Thorpe said. "I said, 'you saw me as a little less human and for me to realize it breaks my heart.' "
Just my Straight eye for the Queer guy speech.

..well, of course, they're unhappy with the results of the election.

Their "hero", Kerry, got shot down, just when they thought he was going to win. Also, they lost several Senators and Representatives from their side.

Every day, I see or hear something in the news that just reassures me that I voted correctly, when I voted for George W. Bush.

I DO NOT want my kid going to school in a couple of years reading about "My Two Dads" or som BS like that.

I say ban it across the board.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Does anyone have a tissue? SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!! No one cares if Jacques and Maurice want a family. Here's a clue, if you want a family find a member of the OPPOSITE sex. I'm not a homophobe or any of that, I don't hate you because your gay. I hate you because you won't stop crying.

to take away rights we never even had!

Well if you never had them, how in the wide,wide, world of sports could we be taking them away?!!!!!! Geez

What morons!
Steve

Originally posted by jrbhunter:
[qb]Gay activists focus on election results

SOURCE

So how exactly do you put "lipstick" on the "pig" called gay marriage?

And we all hope this uphill trend will continue far into the future.

We could only hope for an amendment to the US Constitution that would settle this question once and for all.

[/qb]
Why do all the rest of us have to “accept” a sexual abnormality as normal? What’s next, an appeal to end discrimination against pedophiles?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as "gay marriage" Marriage is when a man and a woman are united in holy matrimony. Doesn't say man and whatever.

So, the only way there can be a gay marriage is if a gay amn and a gay woman get married.

I've been a lesbian trapped in a man's body all my life....that's just how God made me I guess!!!!

By the way, I'm in Ohio and I proudly voted FOR the amendment to the state constitution BANNING the religious or civil joining of two men or two women.

I do not hate them. I simply do not care about them at all, so long as they are not in my face.

The real drive behind this gay marriage, I think, it to force legitimacy. We now live in an age when most people in the USA are to some degree tolerant of them. They may not approve, but have no wish to harm them or interfere with them at all, so long as they're left alone by it.

What we're experiencing -and have been for years- is an attempt to force us to accept them as normal.

IMHO, it is a very, very large leap to go from willing tolerance to legislatively forced acceptance. From what I'm seeing, ie the 17 states that so far have banned gay marriage by popular vote, it ain't working so well for them.

The whole abortion situation happened in a similar manner: Some states it was legal, some it was not. In the Roe v. Wade decision, the USSC forced us judicially to accept abortion a normal, accepted, constitutionally protected right and practice. Had that decision not been made, most likely the majority of sates would have legalized it to some degree over time, and people would be able to accept living within those limitations as they would have evolved through the expected process. While it would remain an issue for some, it probably would not be anywhere near the degree that it is now.

This is an attempt to move the gay issue along by use of similar force. It won't work, and if they do get things passed (ie, the MA supreme court ruling) that the majority do not agree with, that happen in ways that should not occur (judicial fiat), people push back. Had they merely taken a slower approach and worked on allowing society to gradually become more tolerant and more accepting, odds are that over time they may well become much more accepted. This attempt may well have set them back years in the effort.

Remember the story of the littel boy who wanted to know why we went to war?

Well they're on our doorstep now. The best way to "fight" their way of life is by the vote.

Not all, but some are after our children too. You tell me where will it stop?

Marrage is between a man and a woman.

Why do you think a man can get in bed and "make love" to another man? I sure as hell don't know.

Very good post Stu, my sentiments exactly. It's a steep and slippery slope in my opinion... the popular vote seems to be in favor of banning it in most places. Keep in mind all those "national opinion poles" are asking everyone in San Fransisco how they feel as well... I beleive the "Ban Map" would look similar to the "Election Map" in that the overwhelming majority of the country would be in very strong opposition to gay marriage.

ok its illigal in california too its just gay gavin newstrom trying to get gay brownie points like it is some kind of silent untapped majority or something he wont go far at all. they can have that civil partner thing but that is it a few years ago marridge was defined in the ca constitution as between a man and a woman ONLY!

Back