Is there any decent public land for coyote hunting near Salt Lake City?

Goldwinger

I'm in the Salt Lake area for a few days, have all my predator gear with me and wonder if there are any decent public lands nearby to try a few sets?

Goldwinger,
there is some public land near Salt Lake that has good coyote hunting. Private would be even better. what means of transportation do you have? You may have to drive a little way to get there and as you can see, there is new snow on the ground today especialy in the higher elevations.

Most your public land will be out west unless you head into the mountains which may have limited access because of muddy roads. There are coyotes there but may be hard calling. How far are you willing to travel?

Sorry guys I have to disagree with the 50 miles. You drive 50 to 70 miles in any direction of SLC and you are in the primest coyote territory around. Go east and you are in the Unita basin or in the Evanston area of Wyoming. That's major coyote country. Go west into the desert and there are coyotes aplenty. Now there is no doubt, you will run into others out there but if you are a good caller and know what you are doing you will call in coyotes. Go north and you are into the Snowville/Idaho Malad area there are odles of coyotes up there too. Go south and now you are down around the Utah Lake area. On the west and south side of Utah Lake is open farmland that holds coyotes. I live 30 minutes to the west of SLC and have hunted all these areas extensively and have called in lots of coyotes and fox in all these areas. So take your pick and go have fun.

Originally Posted By: littledawgDon't forget the hunter orange this week.........
Yesterday was the end of the deer hunt

Originally Posted By: desertyoteSorry guys I have to disagree with the 50 miles. You drive 50 to 70 miles in any direction of SLC and you are in the primest coyote territory around. Go east and you are in the Unita basin or in the Evanston area of Wyoming. That's major coyote country. Go west into the desert and there are coyotes aplenty. Now there is no doubt, you will run into others out there but if you are a good caller and know what you are doing you will call in coyotes. Go north and you are into the Snowville/Idaho Malad area there are odles of coyotes up there too. Go south and now you are down around the Utah Lake area. On the west and south side of Utah Lake is open farmland that holds coyotes. I live 30 minutes to the west of SLC and have hunted all these areas extensively and have called in lots of coyotes and fox in all these areas. So take your pick and go have fun.

You better check your distances. Evanston is 80+ miles, Snowville is about 100 miles and the Uintah Basin is about the same. You have to go beyond that to get to public hunting ground in those areas. The Malad area is further and will require a Idaho small game license. I hunt a lot of the areas you mentioned. There are coyotes but it is not "Major coyote country". The open farm land you mention requires permission to hunt. He would have to contact the land owner.

Go out and have fun and do your best. More than likely you will call in a coyote. It beats sitting in the hotel room flippin' through channels.

Hey off subject is there a utah thread anywhere on this forum? I sure would like to get opinions and advice from people who are in the area and not back east.

Try Wyoming !
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450Not in colorado or nevada either, i hear theres a ton in new mexico. haha!
Might as well stay away from Texas. We ran out last week.

those dang crittetrs are everywhere had one a yelping away and howling last night right in the city thought i was going crazy till my wifes ex came over and verified i may be going crazy but he heard it too!!!

Back