as ear protectionEarplugs when calling?

Dogslayer24

I was just wondering what you guys do to protect your hearing when you call? Yesterday my friend and I did some sets, called in 2 Foxes and 2 Coyotes. I shot a total of 7 rounds and my ears are still ringing today. My friend says the shots didn't bother him and he shot a few also, but I don't really want to wear earplugs because I can't communicate with my partner. I just shoot a 22-250 with no muzzle break. Wwhat do you guys do about the noise?

my ear protection mounts on the end of the rifle and in my own opinion, is the only way to fly.
thumbup.gif

FirstYote.jpg

Ear plugs that you hang around your neck. My left ear rings non-stop because of it. I Just slip them in before the shot. They are a PITA but well worth it

Wish that was legal to hunt with here cbass16.

I usually don't use anything, but it's taken it's toll. Now that my hearing is already damaged, I plan on getting a pair of Walker Game Ears, and at least until then, I'll never own another 16" rifle.

I've noticed that more and more after a shot my ears ring, though not with every rifle for some reason. I shot a couple of coyotes today with my 6.5 Grendal and noticed that I wasn't getting the "ring tone".

You younger guys, take care of your hearing. The damage is cumulative.

Originally Posted By: cbass16my ear protection mounts on the end of the rifle and in my own opinion, is the only way to fly.
thumbup.gif

FirstYote.jpg

Amen brother!! I just about had a party when I didn't have to wear the muffs anymore!!

Walker's Game Ears. The quad ear muffs work pretty good. I'm trying to save what's left of my hearing. Between set's I pull them up on top of my hat so I don't lay them down and lose them. They are adjustable, you can change them from high to low pitch to suit your needs. In cold weather they are perfect for keeping you ears warm. I use a face mask but with a hooded jacket they can get in the way.

Cheaper than a can and no paper work involved.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyId like to have one with a can but it seems like theres alot of hoops to jump through

it really isn't as bad as people say. i did my suppressor on a trust so it was actually one extra step to bypass three steps.
Extra step doing a trust, but then you don't have to get LEO signature, photos or finger prints.
They are expensive for what they are. metal tube with some baffles doesn't really justify the $$$ but now that I have one, It's well worth it and I'm addicted. Waiting on paperwork for my 9mm suppressor and already planning to get a one for a couple rim fires.

I'll never own another rifle without a suppressor on it, and it would take a life changing job to get me to move to an anti-suppressor state.

Especially during the winter I use my Dillon Electronic hearing protection, it helps enhance the sounds around you and shuts off when you shoot.

I wish we could use suppressors here in AZ for hunting.

Anyone know if you can hunt with them in New Mexico?

I just bought some Peltor Combat Arms ear plugs which still allow you to hear normal volumes but help dampen loud noises like a gunshot so i plan on wearing them while hunting. I bought mine at Cabela's but still have to pick them up so I hope to test them out in the next couple weeks.

I use Caldwell muffs with the sound enhancers, my left ear is pretty bad. I dont like plugs because i like to hear whats going on. Jim

I just bought a new pair of Peltor Tactical electronics... The kind that have the wire frame for behind the neck.. My older ones finally bit the dust after about 15 years of hard use...So far, I really like the quality of the sound in these...I put new AAA batteries in and turned them on with the television..After playing with the volume, I could get really good stereo effect and directional hearing with them.. much better than my old ones...

I bought a set of those "Pro-Ears" that fit behind the ear from a member here and the volume adjustment isn't fine enough to cut out the extra noise made when walking, especially in weeds or on gravel, but when sitting quietly, they work pretty good..

I wear the Howard Leight sport impact electronic muffs. They are thinner than most electronic muffs, so they don't interfere with the stock. Battery life and sound quality is great. Plenty of volume (even amplifies a bit) and no more ringing ears with shots. I have been using them for 2 years with no problems, and I'm thinking about another set for a spare.

Suppressor is the only way to go. I am waiting for my 2rd Form 1, should have it this week or next and I will be able to make my .224 can. Here is the 6mm can that I made on the end of my 6br.
100_0961.jpg

This was my first can that I purchased on a Form 4 for my 308.
000_0132.jpg

I've been looking into suppressors lately, but the numbers I've been seeing even with a .223 shows the db rating still exceeds what it takes to do damage. Kind of like .22lr doesn't make your ears ring, but over time you still need a hearing aid. I've got tinitus, would have had it regardless of shooting thanks to a bad thyroid, and trying to keep it from getting worse.

I know you still need to tax stamp it if you make one, but how hard and how well does it work?

Last edited:
I have never check the db rating, but when I shoot it on my 6br it sounds like you disconnected a air hose. More of a whooosh sound, not a muzzle blast. My calling partner uses one on his 25-06 and shot a yote at about 50 yards, in that range you get a short crack from the bullet going down range and that was it. The most noise you get out of a proper clearanced suppressor is from the crack of the bullet as it goes down range. When I use the 6mm suppressor on my 204 it sounds like a high powered air rifle.

There's nothing scientific about this video but it gives you an idea of unsuppressed and suppressed fire from a 16" M4. It takes out the boom but the sonic crack of the bullet makes it sound like a nail gun.

The ringing on the unsuppressed is the blackout flash suppressor from AAC.

And remember kids, always clear your weapon before putting on your suppressor. Don't do as Donny Don't does.

Oh, and usually my can is in my right pocket...

Suppressed M4

Pro Ears Gold for me, all the time in the woods/shooting. Doctors told me if I want to keep what is left in my left ear to do something about it. I blew my ear drum out a few years ago water skiing and am still waiting for it to heal. However, I have been very happy with the pro ears gold.

Back