sFavorite Deer Bullet

getfoxy

Not that a deer is a tough animal but what is your favorite 30 cal bullet? I have been using Hornady 150 grain SST Interlocks out of my 30-06 with good success but wanting to try something else.

Favorite Deer Bullet........

Something a little smaller than .30 caliber.
I love the Sierra GameKing in 6mm, .257 and .277
Because I live in California and they work so well, I am becoming a big fan of the Barnes TSX 85 grain 6mm, 100 grain .257 and the 130 grain .277

I use the same 30 cal bullet for everything.

180 Sierra GK BTSP

I figure if you have a .30 cal rifle that won't shoot these you got a crappy rifle.

When I rifle hunt, I usually hunt with a 6.5x55, in which I use 129 grain SSTs. When I do carry my .300 WSM, it's loaded with Barnes TSXs, though I just got some 150 grain Hornady GMXs to try out.

Originally Posted By: HuntingnutNot very fashionable, but 150 gr. Winchester Power Points are about as good as it gets for deer, out of an 06 or .308.
Thats what I used the last two years in my 30-06 and it was very effective 2 buck stopped in their tracks 2 doe farthest one went about 60yrds. all shots 100-150 yards.
Last night I shot a little 10pt. buck at 90 yards using my new .243 Winchester using a 95g Combined Technologies and it was effective too, he made it about 40-50 yards before expiring and that was a poor shot on my part hitting 6" behind the shoulder.

168 grain Combined Technologies Balistic Silver Tip is way accurate out of my 30-06 and served me well up to and including elk.

Originally Posted By: skb2706I use the same 30 cal bullet for everything.

180 Sierra GK BTSP

I figure if you have a .30 cal rifle that won't shoot these you got a crappy rifle.

+1 on the 180 Game Kings.

This deer season just past I killed a nice eight point whitetail with a 180 gr. Sierra GK SBT from a .30-06 at 2,735 fps from the muzzle with a dose of H4350. That load makes nice tight little groups and the terminal performance of that bullet on deer has been first rate for me. This buck was shot at 125 yards as it ghosted through the timber and did the classic 30 yard death sprint after taking a hit through the heart.

Well our gun season goes out tommrow.

So far this year 3 bucks fell to my 30-06. Hornady 150grain SST Interlocks, 47.5 grains of Varget, dropped every single deer. One ran 10yards max. Overall I was impressed with this bullet, shots ranged from 20 yards(the 10 yard runner), to over 100yards.I dont know if I will switch anytime soon. Plus they are alot cheaper than other bullets Ive looked at. 28.00 per 100 here

Last edited:
why do swift bullets never seem to get mentioned? Or speers? No one use a Swift Scriocco or A-frame, or Speer Bear claws or deep curls?

"why do swift bullets never seem to get mentioned?"

Maybe because they are more expensive and harder to come by?

Last edited:
I've shot at least few deer with just about everything. Cup-core, monolithic, bonded, partitioned, ect from all major companies, Sierra, Nosler, Speer, Swift, Barnes, Hornaday and Berger. Always looking for that "MAJIC BEAN"

After shooting a lot... It's hard for me to pick a favorite. This year I'm shooting gamekings in .243, V-max in 6BR, BT & prohunter in 6.5x47, Accubond in 7mag, BT in 300 savage and gameking HP in 6x45... Havn't took anything else to the deer woods yet
blink.gif
. Though I did kill 2 good deer with the Hornaday 300gr XTP mag in MZLDR season.

If your shooting 30 cal, just pic one of any, they will all work. I have no doubt that in poor shot situations (texas heart shot comes to mind) that some of the Barnes style bullets or bonded will give a slight advantage due to extended penetration. However, for pure pile 'em up quick value. The sierra gameking followed close by Nosler BT are hard to beat. Plus thay shoot well in about any gun.

Whatever shoots best in your gun, go with it! If you don't reload, look to Hornaday customs or Federal Premium line... If money is an issue. Pic up a box of Rem Corlocks & don't look back!

Back