Big Coyote........been after since April 1....

Terminator

I have been after this big coyote since april 1... his scat pile almost makes me jealous and he's very smart....he runs my trapline for me and if I don't beat him to it...he's already killed one red fox and chewed both front feet off of a smaller coyote and took him for breakfast I guess....I've tried dirt sets, flat set, blind set at a deer gut pile he was using........any suggestions?

Last edited:
Gang set with flat sets to start with. Use Tim Caven's "Gusto" for lure, and set at least three traps in the gang. Do not use a visual attractor, but you can add some foreign red fox or coyote urine to the sets.

Bring a dog with you, watch where it sniffs a weed or bush, make a urine post set there. Pick up a wet spot where other coyote peed, or use some from the bladder of one in your area, or other area. Use his pee spot, or put another coyote pee there, blend trap real good. Put it a foot back to the side from pee spot and pan about 8-9" out from pee spot, he will hit it on his way in or out. Use a turd or twig or pebble in front of pee to help insure he steps on the pan. You could try a light sprinkle of clean water to make the trap bed look older, or blend real well, sit back and check it from a distance.

last night, he worked the bed that I caught a gray in the day before, dug up the trap but didn't set it off....I think I didn't have it buried deep enough and he felt the outside jaw with his paw, so I moved it further out, rebedded deeper and put a small stick directly over the outside jaw so he'll have to step over it and hopefully onto the pan to get to the skull where the gland lure and bait is in both eye sockets.......

If you get one digging up your sets a lot then it is a game to them. Set one trap partially exposed and then another one blind in front of it. The exposed one is your attractant and as he is trying to get at the one he sees, you get him in the blind set. The blind set must be very clean and scent free. The smart ones love to dig traps and catching them is a real test of your skills. Jim

he dug it up again last night.......he is very meticulous in that he eases it out of the bed with out tripping it, it even still had the wax paper on it...he also went around to the right side of the bed and got the bait there....so today I set two traps...I remade the bed just like the trap was still there but I moved that trap into the space where he stepped to get the bait...I made a blind set with it, covering it with duff....I then put another trap directly in front of the fake trap bed, buried deeper and covered it with broom sage and pine straw just like the trail.....so I hope when he comes tonight, he will think that I just re bedded the trap in the same spot and step into the one in front of the fake bed, or go around to get the bait and get caught in the blind set.......bacon in a small hole and just a little urine on the backing.

but I just had to laugh when I examined the bed and saw what he had done...he's a slick one for sure....probably the one that killed a red fox in another trap I had just up the trail from there........several months ago.

picked up a big boar coon today on a blind set where I put bacon on both sides of the trap......this was about 200 yards from my big yote trap and the yote trap wasn't worked.......is it possible I have a coon working the trap instead of a yote?

Last edited:
I have heard coons can get good at messing with traps. You never know for sure...a coon works your set and then a coyote stops by and leaves it's tracks....you think the coyote did it. I have had trap diggers on lines before and was not sure if it was a coon or grey fox as both can be bad diggers. Make some catches and see when the digging stops. Jim

...Checkmate......I got HER today........caught her in both traps....left front foot and rear right foot.......

Last edited:
Thank you DesertGhost for the congrats......it was a female and the one I'm holding in my avatar pic. I'll see if I can post others soon.....my bro. who was bowhunting that morning, checked my traps for me that a.m. and put her down with a crossbow......she was a mess, all chained up and all she could do was stand up and growl and bark......

Last edited:
here's some pics.....deep foot catches, what I like to see........some days it just don't pay to get outta bed. MB 550 OS on the left front foot, #2 Bridger on the right rear foot...

coyote7.jpg
coyote6.jpg

Last edited:
Back