Colorado Coyote Laws

rscott

I want to shoot some coyotes this winter but really dont like skinning them or do I even want the skin. what are the laws on coyote hunting? are you required to take the dog or can you just take the tails? is there anyone in colorado that buys coyotes?

You have to have a small game license and habitat stamps to hunt. You don't have to take any of the yote if you don't want to.
If you are looking to sell in "the round" you might check with the local game warden of the area you intend to hunt to see if anyone is buying.

Always check the legality of leaving them lay in every county you plan on hunting in.

The regulations in certain counties of CO says if you kill it, you must eat it.

I try and stay out of those counties.

Yeah, it's a brand new one that was passed to late to get printed in this years small game booklet.

Just to be on the safe side, it would probably be best to call the DOW office in the county you will be hunting in and ask if it applies in that county. Or if you're close to the office, just go in and ask.

The DOW has also printed up a nice little one page sheet with 4 or 5 different coyote recipes on it. There is one that sounds dang good. If I ever hunt in one of those *nothing goes to waste * counties, I'll sure be trying that one!

Good luck.

rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesYeah, it's a brand new one that was passed to late to get printed in this years small game booklet.

Just to be on the safe side, it would probably be best to call the DOW office in the county you will be hunting in and ask if it applies in that county. Or if you're close to the office, just go in and ask.

The DOW has also printed up a nice little one page sheet with 4 or 5 different coyote recipes on it. There is one that sounds dang good. If I ever hunt in one of those *nothing goes to waste * counties, I'll sure be trying that one!

Good luck.

Doggin Coyotes - I hunt Coyotes in several counties here in Colorado & have never heard of such a law in the past or present. Could you please send me a link to the new Law or some form of supporting documentation ?
confused.gif

If a new law was passed, I'd sure like to know about it.

Here is what is said about this in the current CDOW Rules & Regs ;

CDOW Rules & Regulations - General Provisions - Page 37 - Article XI - Rule #020

D. Waste of Wildlife
1. Except for furbearers, or wildlife listed in Commission Regulation #300(A)(3), or any wildlife taken under the authority of §33-6-107(9), C.R.S., all edible portions of game wildlife taken under the authority of a license shall be properly prepared to provide for human consumption. For the purpose of this restriction edible portions shall not include internal organs.

Yeah, the folks up in Boulder got it passed right after the booklets went to the printers.

It's all spelled out in this "Commission Regulation #300(A)(3)" and this "§33-6-107(9), C.R.S."

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesYeah, the folks up in Boulder got it passed right after the booklets went to the printers.

It's all spelled out in this "Commission Regulation #300(A)(3)" and this "§33-6-107(9), C.R.S."

Sorry Doggin Coyotes but you have to do better than that.

Click on the link and find out for yourself -

CDOW Regulations

#300(A)(3) is in Chapter 3 - Article 1 - Definitions

The Colorado Revised Statutes are here -

Colorado Revised Statutes

Go to Colorado Revised Statutes - Title 33 - Wildlife - Article 6 - Part 1 General Provisions - 33-6-107. Licensing violations-penalties - (9) which states the following:

(9) For the purposes of this section, any person, any member of such person's family, or any employee of the person may hunt, trap, or take black-billed magpies, common crows, starlings, English or house sparrows, common pigeons, coyotes, bobcats, red foxes, raccoons, jackrabbits, badgers, marmots, prairie dogs, pocket gophers, Richardson's ground squirrels, rock squirrels, thirteen-lined ground squirrels, porcupines, crayfish, tiger salamanders, muskrats, beavers, exotic wildlife, and common snapping turtles on lands owned or leased by the person without securing licenses to do so, but only when such wildlife is causing damage to crops, real or personal property, or livestock. Any person may kill skunks or rattlesnakes when necessary to protect life or property. The pelts or hides of any mammals taken under this subsection (9) may be transferred, possessed, traded, bartered, or sold by a person who holds an appropriate small game license.

I'm still looking though .
cursing.gif

Last edited:
Quote:D. Waste of Wildlife
1. Except for furbearers, or wildlife listed in Commission Regulation #300(A)(3), or any wildlife taken under the authority of §33-6-107(9), C.R.S., all edible portions of game wildlife taken under the authority of a license shall be properly prepared to provide for human consumption. For the purpose of this restriction edible portions shall not include internal organs.

Little known fact. That all changed when furbearers were re-classified as small game animals within the last couple of years. Notice you don't have to buy a furbearers tag for bobs, foxes, etc., anymore.

Best be buying a Ted Nugent cookbook........

The Birkenstocks w/socks crowd from Boulder jumped on the re-classification and stuck one to us right after the regs were published, just as DC said.

Better keep an eye on the commission meetings these days.

I don't know any wildlife officers that would enforce this, but they sure could.

Last edited:
I am sure you are joking but:

"Furbearers" means those species with fur having commercial value and which provide opportunities for sport harvest including mink, pine marten, badger, red fox, gray fox, swift fox, striped skunk, western spotted skunk, beaver, muskrat, long-tailed weasel, short-tailed weasel, coyote, bobcat, opossum, ring-tailed cat and raccoon.

And it does say "Except for furbearers"

Last edited:
the books have been in print for a while I am sure they would have it on the web site if it was true, they would also have flyers out and around. I have not seen one not even at the DOW office. something is fishy

CDOW claims they taste like chicken if prepared correctly.

I read that in those *nothing goes to waste* counties that any coyotes with bad mange were exempt. But, it also said that there was no harm in eating the mangy ones as long as the cooking temperature was held at 350 degress for a minimum of 15 minutes as it kills all the mange mites.

Like I said, I am personally steering clear of those counties. I ain't eatin em either.

all you have to do is take the dogs home and out of that particular county and dispose of them like you have been actually pretty simple.

You guys sure are gullible!! Next they will tell you about the law passed that in December you have to wear a Santa suit while hunting coyotes in Colorado!

Back