243 win reloading

GreatNorthWest

I am new to reloading and know I have to fiddle around with different powders and bullets in my 243. What is a powder you guys would recommend to starting with? Thanks

IMR 4350, and 95/100 grain bullets.

For Varmits I use an 85 grain Siera HP and H450 or a 75 Gr VMax and IMR 4831... I'm sure that H4831 would work a swell..

I use H4895 with 65gr Vmax and I shoot .68" groups. I also use that powder with 60gr Vmax in my .223 and get .75" groups. It was developed for the .30-06 but works darn good in my two loads. It is kind of a middle of the road powder for burn rate so I guess that is why it works in several loads.

I have had outstanding results with 38.0gr varget with 70-75gr
bullets in the 243. I'am shooting a savage max 1 in 243 and use nosler 70gr ballistic tip varmit bullets. I have used the same load with 75gr v-max bullets and have gotten the same results.

I`ve used H414,IMR4895,Varget,and IMR4064.

Currently using 38gr of IMR4064 topped with a 75gr VMax.Same load shot very well in a friends rifle also.

All were very good.If you plan on loading for another caliber pick a powder that applies to both.

For using bullets from 55gr to 100gr H414 would be a good pick for a 243Win alone.But too slow for .223 Remington for example.The same could be said for either of the 4350`s.

However..either 4895`s,Varget,or 4064 fits the bill nicely for lots of calibers.The above load devastated my first coyote and heaps of groundhogs.

In the Nosler reloading manual, they list the load of 47.0g of IMR 4350 with a win primer as the most accurate load for their 70g NOsler Ballistic tip bullet at 3600 fps.

I have tried this load in more than one rifle and it is extremely accurate to say the least. I seated the bullets to just barely touch the lands.

We also tried H4350 with the same load and it shot with all the shots touching at 100 yards and about 1 1/2" at 300 yards.

My buddy just shot a doe with this same load last week.

I loaded it for him for yotes and such(he doesn't save fur). Told him to make sure he used the 100gr SGKs over 42.3gr IMR4350 for deer, and the other for yotes.

Night before, he shot at a yote and missed. Not sure how he mixed the loads up, but I was sure that he did when we skinned the deer. What a mess. I absolutely hate BTs for deer and can't see how anyone likes them.......

That'll happen when you use varmint weight ballistic tips without controlled expansion jackets in 90-95 grain "hunting" ballistic tip bullets.

I don't have much experience with the BTs but I came across a nice whitetail while doggy hunting and while I didn't get an exit the vitals were jelly, the shot was over 250 yards and I was shooting the 55g not the 70s. I couldn't be more pleased with the performance, Thumb size hole going in, one broken rib and no messed up meat. The dear went 60 yards with both lungs soup.

55grn NBT and 39grn of Benchmark in my Stevens 200 in .243 results in consecutive 4 shot groups under 3/4 inch at 100yds.

Good enough for government work...

Back