Tugs first decoy action......little long but with pics

gonzaga

Let me start by saying that I wasn't able to take any videos of it, but I did get some pics after the fact.

Made our first stand, with no action at all. Not even a bird.

We head back down the road about a mile and set up looking over an old homesteaded house up on the mesa. Called for about 15 minutes and the only taker we had was a crow. As we stood up and started looking around, I saw a coyote about a mile and a half away, if not further.

This is our stand where the crow came in.
TugDecoying003.jpg

The coyote was about 100 yds to the left of the little patch of scrub oak on the bottom of the hill. By the way I was able to see him with my German "Tasco" binos, lol.
That small patch of scrub oak in the middle is where I saw the first one.
TugDecoying013.jpg

I tell my buddy and we make a plan and start heading for the coyote. We walked about a half a mile and got set up but we were still to far away, so we walked closer and as we got closer I could see a few more coyotes. So now we have 3 coyotes that are working their way around the other old homestead. My buddy, my son and myself worked our way within probly 400 yds without being detected, except for the dang horses that came running at us. The coyotes could hear the horses running and kept looking at our direction, I tried shooing the horses away, but they were staying put and wouldn't leave. So we crept a little closer, and could just see the coyotes working to our left. We were just about on the horizon and I motioned to my buddy that there were 2 coyotes working left, and we needed to stop and get ready. So my buddy Steve set up about 50 yds to my left, with me and my son facing the old house and barn. As we got set up, Tug throws his head up in the air and starts testing the air. He knows something is up, but he isn't 100% sure. So about 2 minutes into the calling I lean up and can see two heads bopping towards us, I tell my son to get ready, so he settles in behind his .22 mag and gets one in the chamber. He is laying there next to me and Tug is about 10 yds to our left and is watching them and can smell them coming in too, he is just milling around us. So I tell my son "get ready, put your front sight on him, take a breath, relax" boom, my buddy Steve shoots. Coyote drops in its tracks,

There is one down in this pic, I promise.

TugDecoying004.jpg

Tug is gone after that coyote that didn't get shot. He is right on his tail, he chases him out to about 600 yds, so I toned him-nothing. SO I leaned up extended my arm up in the air, and hit the nick button. Tug spins around, I hit the warning button. That's it, he starts our way coyote in tow. Tug sized him up pretty good. He kept stopping and running around the coyote and then would come at us, stop and look over his shoulder and make sure that the coyote was coming in too. So Tug came all the way in to where we were at, and the coyote stayed out at about 250 yds. The coyote wouldn't leave, he just kept hanging around. At one point my son even stood up to look at the coyote and he still never left. I gave Tug the "sic em" command and he bolted out after him, and then he came back to us. I had a shot at him as he was moving to our right, coming in behind us but when I pulled the trigger-nothing misfire. The grass was a little too tall and we hadn't been able to set up high enough on the little knoll that we were on. So about that time I called Steve over and when he got there he put down his rifle so I could use it as a rest. This left me able to just see the top of him. I got set up got ready and pulled the trigger and nothing-----misfire again. So I swithched rifles and used my CZ and got set up and let one fly, shot him little far behind the lungs and he ran about 50 yds and piled up. Tug went to go check out the first coyote when we stood up after the second one was shot. My buddy was simply amazed at how Tug was able to bring in that 2nd coyote.
Hero shot of my buddy Steve and my son and Tug

TugDecoying007.jpg

Hero shot of me and my son and Tug

TugDecoying009.jpg

This is the old farmhouse where the 3 coyotes were milling around.

TugDecoying015.jpg

Heres a pic of one of the coyotes:

TugDecoying010.jpg

Heres the other one:

TugDecoying011.jpg

Unfortunately, both coyotes had mange so we weren't able to use the hides.
Here's my son dragging the coyotes to the road, so we can load them up not pass on the mange up on the mesa.
TugDecoying012.jpg

Here is a pic I thought I would throw in, this is a pic of some coyotes that were coming in to the call this summer. There is actually 3 coyotes coming in, not sure if you can see them all.

TugDecoying023.jpg

[img:center]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1162709/HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I was grinning ear to ear. It was one of the best days that I have had out in the field. I just have to keep him going now. Hopefully I will be able to get him out tomorrow as well. The wife has a baby shower today(for her niece) so I am gonna do some honey do's.

bosshog,Thanks for the nod on the HOM, buddy I appreciate it.

Tony, it is such a rush, I can't wait to get out there again.

greg, I am glad that there isn't any prairie dogs up there, I would have burned at least one barrel out already.

Thanks for all of the kind words guys, the dog did all of the work. I just couldn't quit smiling. I loved it.

Back