your luck with 40g ammo in a 1x8 barrel

outlawskinnyd

hey now.

any of you use either nosler varmint or hornady vmax 40g in barrels with a 1x8 twist? if so was the bullet over sustained? did it maintain accuracy?

V-Max 40 works great in a 1:8
I have shot them out of two RRA Uppers with 1:8
Also out of my Mini-14
All shoot under MOA and Squirrels litterally come apart
thumbup1.gif

thanks guy
smile.gif

im usually a fmj guy im afraid im gonna do too much damage with a ballistic tip but i figure a lighter grain ballistic tip will do the trick

Originally Posted By: outlawskinnydthanks guy
smile.gif

im usually a fmj guy im afraid im gonna do too much damage with a ballistic tip but i figure a lighter grain ballistic tip will do the trick

If your speaking Yotes, usually small hole in, no exit

I too have a RRA with a 1 in 8" 24" barrel and it shoots 40 grainers at right under an inch at 100 yards with H335. Gets great splat factor with prarie dogs and squirrels with the fast twist. And in a coyote you won't get enough penetration to exit with a 40 grain grain varmint bullet with this fast of a twist, they come apart like grenades. Instead you will have to worry about splashing the bullet on the hides and having huge entrance holes and a possible runner. I delegate my 40 grain bullets for small game such as PD's and squirrels. Stepping up to coyotes i use at least a 55 grainer and usually go heavier. But to answer your question they should shoot fine, but the only way you will find out is to try them out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: outlawskinnydthanks guy
smile.gif

Here in AZ FMJ's are against the law to use for hunting and even if they were I hate seeing a coyote bite at bullet holes because all that happened was the bullet just punched through them.

Back