Johnny Stewart vs Foxpro

bustem19

It's more of a money issue then anything else. Does anybody have the Johnny Stewart and how well does it work. It is way cheaper then the Foxpro and I'm wondering is this a quality issue or is it due to the all the internal storage of the Foxpros??

If your looking at the JS PM4 I would just go with the Spitfire for the same money. My buddy has the PM4 it ok but the sound quality on the foxpro is way better. If you can wait and save for the Firestorm its supposed to be a great call. Just don't know what you want to spend.

Well I would spend the money on the foxpro if there is really a difference in quality. I know you get what you pay for but sometimes you pay for the name too.

Just my opinion, but I have owned, used and/or heard most of em. To my ears the JS PM4 sounds every bit as good as the lower priced and even the mid priced FP's. I also KNOW it will call any and all predators every bit as well.

I've modified the receivers of the PM4's I've used so it is all enclosed in a weather proof enclosure. The modification is a HUGE, HUGE improvement over the way they are designed from the manufacturer.

As part of the modifing, I also change the antenna design/placement. I have no idea why, but it makes the PM4 caller much more reliable, as far as both range and response, than any of the FP callers not using FHSS..

I'll go out on a limb and say it rivals, and may even be superior, than the callers using FHSS when it comes to range and relabilty.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
smile.gif

Just don't overlook the JS PM4 just because everybody says get a Foxpro. The PM4 is a pretty good caller (and with a little work can be a fantastic caller)..

I better add, the Foxpros are pretty good too.
smile.gif

Use whatever you feel the most confident using.
I Gar ron tee you that Yote or Bobcat wont know the difference on brand name - Ive had Stewart and Burnham and now Foxpro- they all work

I always had a problem with the cartridges coming out. That's why I upgraded to the Foxpro. All solid-state technology.

My dad has the PM3 and we have called in plenty of coyotes with it. Sounds good to my ears, has plenty of volume and sounds good to coyotes. One advantage you have with foxpro over the johhny stewart is the ability to have more sounds without having to change those sound cards. You can probably pick up a used scorpion with plenty of warranty left on it for around $250 and more than likely have a 100 sounds or more. Also foxpro sounds are cheaper than the sounds cards for js.

I had the PM4 and now have a FX3. As far as sound quality goes I think they are about the same. As far as volume they are also the same even though the PM4 has 4 AA batteries, while the FX3 has 8. Portability and weight, the same. As far as how long the batteries last, again about the same. As far as the J.S. sounds vs Foxpro I liked the J.S. Adult Cottentail, and Wild Pigglet Distress better then the Foxpro equivalant. I also liked being able to play crows and rabit at the same time (PM4). As far as depenability and unit quality the Pm4 was a piece of s*%t, while the Foxpro was very well built and dependable. The Fox pro always works the PM4 I had always worked intermitanly getting worse and worse with each use until it totaly failed after 4-5 months use. Alec

99% of the problems with the PM4 (or PM3)is ozidation or other crap on the contacts of the sound cards.

A cleaning of both sides of those contacts with *plastic safe contact cleaner* or even alcohol on a lint free rag will get em working once again.

I've found that the worse thing for the sound cards is just being stored in a drawer or some other place out of the unit. Many times I've had a card that was working fine when I pulled it out of the caller, stored it somewhere for a period of time and then it not work when I went to use it again. A simple cleaning of the contacts fixed the problem every time.

And it dang sure don't help anything that the card slots on the base unit are so easily subject to dust, dirt, weeds, snow, rain, insects, aliens and small bigfoots accumulating inside it.

The base unit IS a piss poor design for a piece of equipment that is going to be mainly used outdoors in the conditions a hunter would use them in.

But alas, there are ways to make it an extreamlly good caller.

I did all that and still had problems. As an Electrician by trade I'm aware of that issue. I tried "Electrical Contact Cleaner" , Denatured Alcohol, and Rubbing Alcohol. I belive lots of guys got PM-4 units with out defects and are haveing good luck. I still think the basic design is excelent but that the quality is very bad. And that the Chinese make poor quality electronics. You can not imagine the frustration I had wakeing up at 3 am, driveing 1 1/2 hours setting up and zilch. Messing with the unit useing a multimeter in the field, at first light, to trouble shoot the unit. I got it to work the night before darn it!! Takeing out and reinstalling the batteries several times. Holding and pushing the buttons so long and hard that carpoltunnel sets in on my right hand.
The day my replacement PM-4 arrived from Hunter Specialties is the day I listed it on Ebay for sale. I actualy liked useing it better then my FX3 WHEN IT WORKED. Alec

Another thing you get with the Foxpro that you dont with the PM4 is a 5 year warranty. You may not need it with either one buts its nice to know that it is there incase you ever do.

Thanks everyone. Now the spitfire vs the fx3 is the extra storage worth the 100$ when all you're going to use it for is coyote and fox maybe crows when I get bored?

Back