.223 ammo question

orrbull48

what bullet weights/types are yall using out of your AR? in my current Dtech im using a 55gr sp, but im getting ready for a new build and am thinking of going with a lighter vmax bullet? any one have any suggestions? thinking of a 40 to 50gr vmax.

I was using the 50gr V-maxes and had a couple of runners that I lost due to thick vegetation. All of them felt like good shots and they would spin and take off. I went up to the 55gr. V-maxes and haven't had a runner yet. When I run out of the 55 I might move up to the 60s, but I have over 750 yet to use...may take a couple years!!!!

I have one I load the 60 grain Nosler BT in and it shoots great. I have another one I load the 50 grain Nosler Bt's in and it shoots great. I have had a couple of runners with the 50's but nothing major. They spin and run like 40-50 yards. The 60's are bang flop. Have not lost any with either bullet and both shot great groups with benchmark powder.

I would not use anything lighter than 55's maybe 52's. I really like the 55gr NBT or the 60gr v-maxes. I just don't get consistent results with anything less than 55.

Yeah I shot 52match hp's for a bit. They worked good on the one yote I did shoot. But I run into too many hogs and don't like bt's or hp's.

Well, I guess I'm the only light bullet shooter here. But I shoot the 40gr v-max in front of 26.5 grains of tac. I have yet to have a runner. To date longest laser ck on a coyote was 339yds, killed him where he stood.

Orrbull48, I had Mike (DTech) build me a slow twist (1/14) upper specifically for shooting the lighter (35-55gr) bullets and it was a tack driver with the 40gr V-Max...They could be pumped to fairly high velocities and still hold together...It also shot the 50gr really well, but I had it built for shooting Prairie Dogs and causing some real acrobatics..so I stuck with the 40gr rounds...

Winchester 64g power points. Started using them because I get them free from law enforcement pals with extra ammo. Drops them on the spot. Doesn't damage pelt much more than smaller grained bullets.

50g V Max in my DPMS 1/9 twist 20" SS BBarrel has so far been the most accurate, have no results to say about the effectiveness on coyotes. The R25 in .243 Win. with 58g V Max is also the most accurate loaded to date and although I only shot 1 coyote with it, its effective.

Back