Speer TNT for the .223?

the noobie

What are these bullets like? i found 100 hand loads my dad loaded back in 96 for my mom and her rabbit .223 but shes never shot the gun... it sat in the safe for 13 years and never got sighted in!!
scared.gif

Anyways my dad said i just as well shoot them up. Ive only been able to shoot one gopher with them. i shot him a tad low and he rocketed out of the hole about 3 feet into the air and it looked like he was fed a fire cracker when i went and inspected him.

They are 55 grain leaving the muzzle at 3200 fps... will they kill a coyote?

Last edited:
I used to use that load in my 223 for coyotes. I had many surface explosions, so I would just shoot right in front of their nose and suck the wind out of them...DRT.

Originally Posted By: ghjacobsI've killed many a PD, and Coyote with the 50gr. TNT one of my all time fav. bullets for the 223.

X2, good bullet for varmints.

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: ghjacobsI've killed many a PD, and Coyote with the 50gr. TNT one of my all time fav. bullets for the 223.

X2, good bullet for varmints.

One of my favorite bullets too.

i have used the speer 50 grain TNT for years....as with any bullet it's placement.....my "reach-for" call'n rifle is a sako vixen in 222 mag....just a tad larger than a 223 rem....50 grain TNT escaping the muzzle at 3600 fps....my last double was at 40 somethin yds and 341 yds....2shots...2 dogs....

if you reload,you can drive those bullets faster than the speer memo enclosed in the bullet boxes.....

I'm currently shooting 50gr TNT's in my .223 Ackley. Only killed 1 dog with em so far. Not a good shot to judge what a bullet will do though. This dog was running straight away from me and the bullet took him dead center in the spine. No bullet leaves a small hole with a spine shot like that!!

They seem to be keepers so maybe i will shoot these up then get dad to help me load another hundred for gopher hunting then load 100 more either Vmaxs or nosler BT's in 62-68 grain for coyotes.

Back