First hunt with the #1 son (long)

sendit223

So we got out finally after he passed his hunter's safety course this past summer. I had a spot that HAD to produce at least a single, so we headed out this morning.

On the way we went over the scenarios..."coyote is hard charging the decoy" "bark and shoot him when he stops" "That's right!" He was excited to say the least once we set up.

The first stand was a bust, and we had to relocate to make the next. That gave him some time to get used to the gear in a hunting situation (game day versus practice).

IMG_0811mod.jpg

Stand two brought in two deer -- right up to the mojo. He got to see that all on his own as I was watching the other way.

Stand three looked good, but we didn't get the instant gratification I was hoping for. Then I heard a faint barking dog...or coyote. I hit the FoxPro coyote challenge and got a faint answer. We went back and forth for 10 minutes and then he quit, never getting very loud. At 35 minutes I was about to stand up when there he was. The big coyote made quick time down the large hill as he closed the distance to the mojo critter. "Do you see him?" I asked. "Yes" I moved to look through the scope and the coyote caught my motion. "Don't move" I said. The coyote continued toward the decoys and then decided something wasn't right. He vanished into the grass as fast as he had come into view. Busted!

We spent a while calling him but he was gone. My new hunting partner was psyched and is certainly hooked. No blood but a good day.

Very Cool! Your son will now understand when he hears the saying "it isn't always about the kill". The experience he will remember forever. Just wait til he gets one, drinks all around, lol...

Yep he's excited. I can still remember my uncle taking me on my first hunt (rabbits with hounds). That started it for me.

The only down side for son #1 is that his next youngest brother got his hunter's safety certificate too, so older brother goes to the back of the rotation. After everybody gets up to speed I'll bring both at once. There's even one more younger still, but no certificate yet. He'll probably insist on tagging along soon.

The older two got lots of trigger time over the summer and were banging steel at 100 reliably. Just need to call one in that close for them and we'll post the hero shots for sure.

A Thanksgiving or Christmas day Coyote would really sear that memory. That would be a Holiday to remember forever! Hint, hint...
wink.gif

Cool story! I'm sorry to hear you didnt get a dog in the bag, but it looks like you guys had a great time.

Just as a random question: being a newish predator hunter, do you find ghille suits to be pretty effective? It always seemed to be a good idea to me, but I dont know much yet so just wondering what your take is?

Glad to see another hunter in the making. Success will come and when it does? post it so we all can enjoy it.

Nice camo job on your young hunter. I wouldn't take my eyes off that rig he is wearing. You could lose the young man.

Luke -- Ghillies have their fans, and I am one. Most of where I hunt I don't have to worry about them snagging on the way to a stand. For those few locations were it is an issue it is easy enough to leave the ghillie in a bag and suit up at the stand.

They do pick up every stick-tight there is, which is why I view them as a consumable. I figure I'll buy a new one every 3-4 years or so because I just get sick of the burrs...and sticks...and cheat grass seeds...and and ...

APC has one that I reviewed a while back. That is the one my son is wearing. I had to beef up the stitching to suit my needs. I also shortened the sleeves.

The hats are also 'custom'. I take a standard boonie and I add material to them in order to get rid of the head/neck shape. When he's sitting still it is very hard to see him. Mine looks similar. The face mask is over the counter -- whatever would fit him.

Yep, we'll post when the blood flows.

Back