Bears, Bucks, and Buddies

Bobcat77

Sometimes its funny how things work out for people. 8 years ago I posted a hunt trade on another forum wanting to trade a Nebraska pheasant or deer hunt for bear or lion hunting with hounds out west. The hunt trade worked out great for both of us, they killed Roosters and I fulfilled my dream of lion hunting and bagged a great lion. This last spring I learned I had drawn a San Juan unit bear tag after applying on it for 8 years. My oldest son Chase 12 and I geared up to go on a once in a lifetime bear hunt.

The hunt was great, we saw some of the most beautiful country the United States, had great food, and most of all Chase and I made some memories that both of us will treasure forever. Here are some pictures of the country we were hunting.

bh8.jpg

We hunted hard for 5 days, chased bears every day but in the end we couldn't close the deal...but thats hunting. Here are some other pictures from the hunt.

bh7.jpg

Chase and I at a bear tree.

bh5.jpg

The sow that was up the tree, she also had two little cubs about the size of a coon up the tree with her. Very pretty bear, and i'll never forget seeing her up the tree.

While we were on the bear hunt I invited one of the guys that helped to come out to Nebraska Whitetail hunting. Ed brought his boy Scott along with him. They got here on the 12th of November and we started hunting on opening day the 13th.

Opening weekend around here is pretty dang busy, all the city hunters are down and it really gets congested. The deer act funny and usually don't get back to acting "right" until Tuesday. Anyway no excitement Sat, Sun, or Monday...we saw plenty of smaller bucks, but no shooters.

Tuesday morning started out with me taking Scott and Ed to a pasture to glass and see what we could see. After a minute I found a buck with a hot doe. The buck looked good, so we went after him. We were able to close the distance to around 100 yards, and my hunters made the shot.

Scott had just killed himself a beautiful Nebraska Whitetail, heres a picture of Scott's buck.

008.jpg

We spent the rest of the morning taking care of Scott's buck, ate dinner, and by 2 we were ready to go out to our spots for the evening. On our way to Ed and Scott's appointed stands for the night we found two bucks fighting hard in a corn stubble field. We snuck to within 100 yards of them, I checked them out with my binoculars and saw that one buck was a shooter. Ed prepared for the shot and knocked the bigger buck down. As soon as the bigger buck fell the smaller buck took advantage and really cleaned his plow. The smaller buck stayed with the bigger one til I got within 20 yards, then he bounced off. Ed killed a great 5x5 that will look great in his trophy room. Here's a picture of Ed's buck.

006.jpg

Now it was time for me to concentrate on helping Chase fill his tag. We have a pretty hard time finding time for Chase and I to hunt together. We have a ton of after school activities and there is something going on every night. Thursday morning we went for a short hunt before Chase had to be at school. We were watching a really good pasture, right off the bat we were seeing does, and some small bucks. Then a better buck came into view, he was coming towards us so we let him get to around 100 yards, then Chase busted him. This is Chase's third buck, and his best. Here is a picture with Chase, my other son Hunter, and myself in front of the school.

chasebuck.jpg

Now it was my turn to try and fill my tag! LOL I left Chase off at school and made my way home. As I was making my way home I noticed something out of place about 300 yards away in a soybean stubble field. I stopped my truck and checked it out with my binoculars. It was a buck, and a dang nice one to boot. I went ahead and pulled my truck on over the hill, grabbed my rifle and headed up a brushy fenceline to close the distance on him. I narrowed the gap to about 200 yards, found a good fence post for a rest and let the shot fly. The buck took off running, and I fired another insurance shot that wasn't needed. He is one of my best bucks to date and I couldn't be happier with him. Here is a picture of my buck.

beanfieldbuck2.jpg

Here is a picture of Chase and I with both our bucks.

beanfieldbuck1.jpg

I could not have asked for a better 2010 deer season, I hope you enjoyed the pictures and story although i'm not much of a writer or photographer...thanks for bearing with me.

Corey

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write-up Corey! I see you left out a few things (how many bullets did the Ute's go through?) but it is a well done story of a couple of great hunts!

We were up there hunting with these guys last week and had a great time even if we didn't connect on one of the monsters that you boys did. You guys have some beautifully country and some great hunting and I hope you know how much a couple of Texas boys appreciate the help you give us every year.

Keep up the good work Corey!

That is one of the most impressive collections of whitetailed bucks I've ever seen anyone post in one season. The brow tines on Scott's buck are mind blowing. That buck of yours is what my dreams are made out of! Now I just wish there were something here in Montana you wanted.
wink.gif

Ursus...we got lucky on the Whitetails, I was really feeling the pressure (none of the pressure was brought on by them, I brought it on myself) by Tuesday to get Scott and Ed on a couple good bucks, and luckily it happened. I figured that this was going to be a great year for above average bucks, last year's deer season sucked. 80% of our corn was not harvested, and we had a major snow storm right in the middle of season I figured that was enough to let a larger ammount of upper age class bucks survive.

I love Scott's buck, he is a typical 4x4 with those towering brow tines, and he has 3 or 4 other sticker points the picture doesn't show...he was a great buck for Scott!

Cbosshawg needs to get some pictures of his buck and his fathers buck on a post, they were both great bucks also.

Are there any Elk up there in Mt.? Can a guy get a bull permit very easily or is it tough to do?

Take care and thanks for the comments guys.

Corey

I don't have a really good picture of Dad's buck but will get one when I boil the skull.

The deer I shot fooled me a little, I had just seen a very nice deer chasing a doe a few minutes before this one came out in the general area that the bigger buck ran through. It was kinda far (about 350 yards) and he was running away so in my haste I made a poor decision and pulled the trigger. I had actually passed on this buck and the deer my dad ultimately shot earlier in the week but they were running does so hard it was difficult to stay on top of what you were looking at and easy to shoot the wrong deer...

This buck isn't very pretty but he is a very big frame 5x4 with 25" main beams and an 18" inside spread. It's a shame, if he had any tine length at all he would be a solid 150" deer but as it is he was a really nice "cull" buck...

Here are the photos from where I passed him up at 40 yards on Sunday.
NB2010-A.JPG

NB2010-b.JPG

NB2010-c.JPG

And the finished product...
Nebraska%202010%20Buck-A.jpg

Here is the buck my dad got while we were in Nebraska.
Dad%202010-A.jpg

Last edited:
Bobcat77 while elk tags in Montana are not exceptionally hard to get, paying for it will be (close to a $1000.00 next year if FWP gets their way), and getting an elk can be very difficult. I have helped a lot of folks get mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, turkeys, upland birds, and coyotes, but I don't think I'd ever stick my neck out and promise anyone an elk. Some hunters in Montana have the elk figured out well enough to offer a reasonable chance, but I'm not one of them.

Back