AR 15 Buffer Question

crowkiller51

Just picked up an AR15 with the Magpul CTR Colapsable Stock.
The buffer and spring has alot of TWANG during firing. It Has the standard carbine buffer and spring.
Anyone tried the Hyd Buffers? Enidine etc?
Any other solutions?

Last edited:
I use Spikes tungsten buffers with a Tubbs flat wire spring in my collapsible stocks. Takes most of the BOING noise out and helps a tad with recoil. I think the buffer goes for about $30 and the Tubbs spring in the same vicinity. I have never owned the hydraulic buffers before. I have heard that they can leak sometimes and are most effective on the larger calibers.

I also use a spring from Superior Shooting Systems and I believe that's the same as the aforementioned Tubbs spring. It's flat and works like a dream. I personally hate the noise that comes any time a metal spring is compressed inside a metal tube.
I spray some dry silicon spray inside the buffer tube and there is now NO sound at all when I pull my charge handle back. I re-apply anytime I strip my rifle down for a good pampering.

If you want to try the hydraulic "style" buffer...I'd suggest the Olympic Arms Pneumatic Recoil Buffer. Hard to find ANYWHERE in stock but it is in their 2010 catalog and I've been given assurances that it is still in production. It's air charged so that if it were to EVER fail, and lets be honest, any part COULD fail. It wouldn't be leaking hydraulic fluid all over.

I've talked to a fellow that uses them on his 223, 243wssm and the 300ossm with no flaws. Just saving my $$ to get one.

put a light coat of grease on the buffer spring, it will take out that twang.

The other options people mentioned are good too, but this is the cheapest one.

thanks for the opinions.
I'm shooting this 223 AR with an AWC suppressor attached and the spring sound is more noticeable.
KER-TWANG,KER-TWANG.
I'm Also thinking about adding an A/A 6.5 Grendel upper.
Anybody know whether the carbine stock buffer spring will be an issue? or does the 6.5Grendel need a rifle length buffer?

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51
Anybody know whether the carbine stock buffer spring will be an issue? or does the 6.5Grendel need a rifle length buffer?

If your Grendel has a rifle length barrel, it would be wise to have a rifle buffer and stock.
If it's a carbine, go with a carbine.

The caliber isn't as important as the placement of the gas port along the bullets path down the barrel.

thanks cbass16,, the 6.5Grendel I'm looking at is a 24".
My 223 set up is the Daniel/Defense Carbine 16"x1n7 and Bushmaster Lower with The Magpul CTR Carbine stock, timney 3#,AWC Suppressor. It loves 69MKs.
What will a carbine lower do with a rifle length gas port barrel on ? not cycle ? or put excess stress on the buffer?

well, especially with something like the Grendel in a rifle length. You surely COULD have an issue like I had with my WSSM. If it were a rifle in a .223 It would be less likely to cause issues.

This was a mistake I made in my 243WSSM build.
I (for some reason) forgot to order a buffer/tube/spring when I built my lower a couple years back.

Cousin happened to have a spare, so we used it and everything seemed OK. Only issue was that about 1-2 out of 10 shots would have the brass fail to eject properly. I didn't think it was a huge issue at the time, thought it would be maybe be due to a new upper, getting the gremlins out, or just the break in. And it seemed like after some load testing and what not, this issue almost completely worked itself out.
I got some slow motion video footage of it somewhere, and the problem was that my bolt was coming back and then forward with the next round SOO fast, that the spent round wasn't even out of the receiver before it was getting caught and jamming.

The problem was that in our haste...we mistakenly installed a rifle length tube, a rifle length spring with a CARBINE buffer on an upper that would be shooting WSSM ammo.
The problem is refered to as "Bolt Bounce" and

Long story short, if you were to go .223 carbine to .223 rifle...i'd say no big deal, give it a whirl, but here is a reason for the two different buffers, best to use the right one.

You wouldn't use 2st gear to drive 50mph right? I'm sure you could, but it wouldn't work very well and wouldn't be very good for the motor. Same thing with the AR.

Also be aware that heavier buffers increase lock time. As with anything ballistic, there are always trade offs. Nothing comes free of consequences.

This is good info I'm going from a 16" to a 20" but I think I will try it wig the carbine buffer just cause I'm go a keep the 16 upper also. What kind of grease are you guys using on the spring is it a graphite.

grease and oil attract dirt and collect/trap it. Not that it would be a HUGE issue in the buffer tube, it's just that I don't like using it.

I prefer silicon spray because it avoids all the issues of grease and oil. AND, the best part is that it almost completely eliminates that spring noise of metal on metal when you operate the charge handle and in fact, on mine...I hear nothing.

Back